lowering an fto?

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

SilentBob
Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

lowering an fto?

Post by SilentBob »

Thinking about getting my FTO lowered a little, not huge, just to remove some of the gap between wheels and arch, and was wondering on peoples suggestions
Thinking of just getting the springs upgraded, will this work and give a handling improvment, or will I need to do the shocks as well?

Also, particular brands to look at ? and accompanying prices
and where in Newcastle would anyone suggest? A friend had his celica done at a Pedders close by and said he got good results

Any help would be great
SilentBob
G1
Mechanic

Post by G1 »

I personally don't like Pedders - heard too much bad stories.

If you want something cheap, go for King or Whiteline or something - probably around $300

I have Apexi springs on mine with KYB shocks.

Apexi made these to suit FTO especially - around $530 new - I recommend all Japanese springs - these Apexis are great.

I have kg/mm (Japanese) springs for sale check out the parts for sale section.
SilentBob
Mechanic

Post by SilentBob »

Tried a couple of places in Newcastle today to see what they stocked, both of which did King Springs...
one of which had no idea of any that fitted an FTO
the second said there was one set that lowered it 30mm front and back(which they 'found out' fitted from a previous FTO install)...quoted $160 a pair then $200 to fit em

Im sure there are more than one type of King Springs which fit an FTO, having read somewhere of a range of heights available from King Springs...and their website is not working at the moment, so if anyone knows their model numbers etc that would be most helpful...

Im not after anything super flash, just decent quality, lower it a little(dont want to be sittin on the ground) that will tighten up the cornering a little as well....

Any suggestions would be great
fredcdn

Post by fredcdn »

I currently have what I believe to be super-low (50-60mm) King's springs on both the front and back of my FTO. I also have some spare front low King's springs but they have been cut by the previous owner.

I have 235/40/17's on the front and 255/40/17's on the rear, the rear tends to scrub quite a bit and the front tyres scrub when the wheels are at/near full lock. This is almost deffinetly because of the width of tyre in both cases.

I'll take the wheel off sometime soon and have a look at the King's Springs part number to let you know which springs from their catalouge fit.

You can find the PDF catalogue at www.kingsprings.com.au

I think the suspension is the same as the Galant (FTO = Galant chassis?) or a Lancer.
Hez
Grease Monkey

Post by Hez »

jus wanna ask why is your rear wheel wider than the front?
fredcdn

Post by fredcdn »

Hez wrote:jus wanna ask why is your rear wheel wider than the front?
I dunno really, that's how I bought the car.. maybe the rims are from a RWD car? It does grip rather well though.
fredcdn

Post by fredcdn »

Ok, I've checked out the front springs at least.. they are King Springs part number KMFL-93 which is strange because in their catalogue it doesn't match up with anything Mitsubishi. It is however in the catalogue as the front springs for a 99-02 Ford Laser and also for some late model Mazda's - Astina/323.