Tutorials or How tos?

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

NightFire
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Tutorials or How tos?

Post by NightFire »

I'm thinking of replacing my air filter as my next project, and thought it might be a good idea to write a guide on how to do or how it went, for FTO Australia. (thats if its doable without having to go to a shop/mechanic)

I noticed a few tid bits in the FTO Information on the menu, but I thought it would be good for others to follow a step by step guide.

Good idea? Has anybody replaced there whole air filter? And would like to help?
Has it been done somewhere else?

It would be awesome to have a whole range of tutorials, things like brakes, oil, radiator :) , even things like how to clean your car!
MattG
Grease Monkey

Post by MattG »

1. undo clips that hold top of air filter box on.

2. remove filter element.

3. undo bolts holding box onto engine bay (i found these to be really tight).

4. attach pod filter as per instructions.

hmm I think that is all, shoudl take about 10-15 mins?

M@
http://www.forensicdata.com.au
The Data Recovery Experts
Theremin
Grease Monkey

Post by Theremin »

It's a bit more involved if you do it like mine is done... Sounds awesome though!

Theremin
Grease Monkey

Post by Theremin »

A company in Brisbane called Pulse Racing did it. A few of us up here got it done before they went out of business. :cry: The tricky part for them was working out the right length/bend aluminium piping. But once they had the templates it was a pretty easy job. For anyone wanting to have a go, it involved a new (smaller) battery clamp, a bracket to hold the piping in place, and a breather (looks like a mini air cleaner, although I gather some of the early models don't need this).
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

I didn't think the crank case breathers were legal for use on the street here in australia.

on the pod setup like that you suck lots of HOT HOT air from your engine bay (which will reduce power a couple of %) when doing it that way, i recommend installing a heat shield. Check out unique auto sports there is a full drop in setup there with everything you need to keep the nasty hot air away.

If you guys want to write up how too's feel free send them in and i'll put them up on the site (with you credited of course).

stephen
TheSentry
Grease Monkey

Post by TheSentry »

Just a note, if you plan to change to a pod it'd be a good idea to keep your stock airbox and filter. Why? It'd be good to have the stock parts if u plan to sell, but it will also help you if u get a defect sticker stuck on your ride for having an exposed pod air filter.
MattG
Grease Monkey

Post by MattG »

Oh I just remembered.

It may be a good idea to do an ECU reset after adding a pod filter.
Disconnect the car battery for about 1/2 hour. Then re-connect.

M@
http://www.forensicdata.com.au
The Data Recovery Experts
NightFire
Apprentice

Post by NightFire »

Okay, the air filter I'm looking at is the HKS Super Mega Flow

http://www.hksusa.com/products/?id=813

Is it really a matter of old one off, new one on? (that hardly needs a step by step guide :)
I found 2 different prices at a shop for one, something like $300 and $600, the $600 I think may have had extra stuff, like Theremins pipe/duct..
Anyway, I didn't want to ask to many questions, I find salespeople tend to pouce on me, and I like to do some research about what I want, not what they want to sell me.

If its really that simple, I'll be off to get one asap!
(anything I need to know, like inlet sizes etc?)
hnm738
Grease Monkey

Post by hnm738 »

yeah im wandering which is better cuase i also want one

hks? 223$
itg 215$
or k&n 120$ i think?

which one would be better to get?
thecook
Mechanic

Post by thecook »

its not really worth buying a big brand named air filter for a NA car

its not really worth it, coz theres not much performance gain, but when it comes to a turbo, then it matters.....

i got autotecnica air filter from autobarn..... installed it and yeh... not much performance difference, maybe 1 or 2 kw lol, but it sure does sound beefier!

its easy to change, just play around, make sure u dont f**k up anything important ;)
TheSentry
Grease Monkey

Post by TheSentry »

hnm738 wrote:hks? 223$
itg 215$
or k&n 120$ i think?
I wouldn't get the HKS from what I've read. Some of the tests showed that it filters very poorly, but on the other had gives the best performance inscreae. So essentially you're getting a bit more power, at the risk of getting lots of rubbish getting thru the filter.

Take a look at these links:
http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/filter ... index.html - In Japanese but a good look at their ability to filter
http://www.ftooc.org/contents/pages/project/filter.htm - Good run down on power increases