The Suspension Thread

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

funkysmurf
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by funkysmurf »

Hey homies,

I have a question for the experts. I have to get new suspension (long story), and I decided on the Tein SS kit. I ordered it and was also going to order the edfc controller kit. While I was on the phone I mentioned that I read (I think around this place) that it won't fit into an FTO. The dude I spoke to said he'll call me back to confirm whether this is the case. Thing is he didn't call back (but did take a $1K deposit).

Can any of you confirm whether this gizmo can be used in an FTO? I tried Tein's vehicle compatibility chart but it doesn't work.
Grue
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Grue »

And another question...

Which way up do the springs go in :)

Going off Ben's pics, looks like the front is like this, but not sure about rear?
If you can't dazzle them with dexterity, baffle them with bull...
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

funkysmurf wrote:Hey homies,

I have a question for the experts. I have to get new suspension (long story), and I decided on the Tein SS kit. I ordered it and was also going to order the edfc controller kit. While I was on the phone I mentioned that I read (I think around this place) that it won't fit into an FTO. The dude I spoke to said he'll call me back to confirm whether this is the case. Thing is he didn't call back (but did take a $1K deposit).

Can any of you confirm whether this gizmo can be used in an FTO? I tried Tein's vehicle compatibility chart but it doesn't work.
I really wanted the EDFC as well, but alas the front servo motors will not fit. They hit the bonnet as the tops of the front struts are the highest part under the bonnet. The rears would fit thou.

Grue - the springs fit as they are pictured. You can only put them in the one way - the front shocks have a pressed steel base that fits the bottom of that big spring (ie with the one leg of the spring sitting down like that) and the rears have a big plastic cap that sits on the top - it only fits on the smaller dimetre end.
Grue
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Grue »

B E A Utiful.. cheers matey. Time to get busy!
funkysmurf
Apprentice

Post by funkysmurf »

Thanks man - was afraid that would be the case. The guy actually rang me today and said he can't get coilovers for my car. His 'distributor' or something said they don't make them. This is MRT by the way. RPW have them on their site as an authorised dealer.
SG
Veteran Mechanic

Post by SG »

the Tein SS that're suitable for the FTO are the Lancer CE models coilovers
funkysmurf
Apprentice

Post by funkysmurf »

Yeah I was certain that there are Tein ones that fit the FTO. I rang a few places and none could help me out before Christmas (here in Sydney anyway), so I bought a KSport kit which was available to fit next week.
funkysmurf
Apprentice

Post by funkysmurf »

Right. So they installed the coilover kit today. Had to go to work soon after and on my way there I nearly suffered kidney failure and I'm sure I'm about 2" shorter with a sore arse. It's too damn bouncy and I adjusted the damper setting to softest all around when I pulled over.

Is there anything I can do to make the car more comfortable to drive? Earlier I read on a web site that the spring rate on these is set at 4.7 front and 4.9 rear. In actual fact it is 8.7 front and 8.9 back.

Ideas?
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

That spring rate is way hard. Stock is 2.6 & 1.6.... 8O

I know Teins can be revalved & sprung to soften, dunno about K sport thou... I'd imagine you could, but you'll need to track down a shop that could do it for you.
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

funkysmurf wrote:Right. So they installed the coilover kit today. Had to go to work soon after and on my way there I nearly suffered kidney failure and I'm sure I'm about 2" shorter with a sore arse. It's too damn bouncy and I adjusted the damper setting to softest all around when I pulled over.

Is there anything I can do to make the car more comfortable to drive? Earlier I read on a web site that the spring rate on these is set at 4.7 front and 4.9 rear. In actual fact it is 8.7 front and 8.9 back.

Ideas?
Sounds like a case of too harsh rather than too bouncy..? :?

Can only recommend that you drive on flat / smooth roads ;) so, you might have to take your car overseas :P Theres a reason manufacturers don't make cars for Australia with Coilovers ;)
SG
Veteran Mechanic

Post by SG »

Tein SS was designed for Australia.... all Tein SS models for the country they go to are supposed to be set up for those sorts of conditions...... :) they are 5kg front/4kg rear for aus.....

i wouldnt set the shocks too soft, on the highway if you need to swerve and you have a high spring rate you could lose control, i reckon... ive tryed swerving a little at 100kph with full soft/off dampers (5/4k springs) and theres no absorption of the energy.... feels like a scandanavian flick in the waiting 8O

are you going to do any motorsport funksmurf?
funkysmurf
Apprentice

Post by funkysmurf »

Hey guys. As suggested, I will try to find a place to re-valve them to around 4-5kg.

The idea was to have a bit of a dig around a circuit every now and then. After I was done there I'd get the settings back to road use and I was going to be a happy rabbit.

I actually like the way it is on smooth roads and it's a great feeling swinging into a corner, but as soon as you get a bad patch of road (which is almost everywhere I've driven so far), you get shaken worse than by a British nanny .

The only practical thing about it is that I can prepare my protein shake after I'm done at the gym and by the time I'd get home it would be smooth as. No more takeaway mocha and driving though.
SG
Veteran Mechanic

Post by SG »

if your swapping springs and they let you keep the old ones I'll buy the rears off you... :)
Grue
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Grue »

The rear Suspension Arm... same for GR and GPX?

Replacing that large bush on it's end and discovered one of mines bent 8O Looks like someone's had a prang in the past, and the crushed bush was hiding the problem, making the wheel line up ok. :evil:
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Yeah mate, its the same ;) Only difference in the rear between GR & GPX is the inner arm (that connects the above pictured arm to the inside centre of the car) - and thats just because of the difference in droplink connections.
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

funkysmurf wrote:Hey guys. As suggested, I will try to find a place to re-valve them to around 4-5kg.

The idea was to have a bit of a dig around a circuit every now and then. After I was done there I'd get the settings back to road use and I was going to be a happy rabbit.

I actually like the way it is on smooth roads and it's a great feeling swinging into a corner, but as soon as you get a bad patch of road (which is almost everywhere I've driven so far), you get shaken worse than by a British nanny .

The only practical thing about it is that I can prepare my protein shake after I'm done at the gym and by the time I'd get home it would be smooth as. No more takeaway mocha and driving though.
even 4-5kg is gona be hard as a rock in the FTO IMO. I have king springs in my skyline 175lb/" / 3.1kg/mm front and 185lb/" / 3.2kg/mm back. They are not the greatest for daily road driving.. Its not that bad though but 2 is def. a much nicer ride.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

More goodies arrived today :D

Finally going to do the bushes on the rear of the car. These puppies are the nolathane versions of the rear trailing arm front bush. Adjustable to as you can see by the offset centre hole.

$75 from Auto One
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

Ben, in your first post, you mentioned;
All dialled in with 2 degrees negative camber, 1.5 degrees positive castor & 0.75 degrees toe in. The camber is probably a little high for street driving & I'll end up wearing the inside edges of the tyres, but I dont care. The tyres are almost gone anyway & the turn in & stability through corners is superb... looks hot too Razz
Just wondering how I would be able to find out what amount of camber, castor & toe settings I have got on my car.. & how I would go about adjusting it?

I'm finding that my car is sliding out a little on the front tyres when taking a corner at speed & has been doing it for a while now .. I would have to say its understeering .. but it's not the kind've understeer that will get me into any sort of trouble, it's still very controllable - so I can slide around a corner & countersteer for a seemless recovery or if I enter a corner faster, brake harder just before I turn in & shift more weight to the front I can stop it from happening as much as well..

As much fun as it is sliding around corners, it still bothers me a bit & want to stop it from happening altogether if I can.. just doesn't feel right for my FTO to do it.. & it feels like if I was to try to take a corner too fast I'd end up just sliding off the road completely..

As soon as I have some disposable cash laying around I will be taking my car into Fulcrum & getting some lowered springs put on & unless I end up just doing it myself, upgrading the rear sway bar & rear droplinks with some whiteline gear & wait & see how my car is running before I put in a new front sway bar..
RallyMad
Oldtimer

Post by RallyMad »

Camber, toe and castor, you'll need to go and get a wheel alignment to adjust them accurately. Fulcrum will sort you out after the lowered springs, if your a RACQ member I think it's only $20 (or maybe $50) at Bob Janes if you want it done before that.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

More new toys to try out 8)

Lower rear strut brace. Can DIY it if anyone needs it.

Example of a fitted one: