Are FTO's equipped with factory immobilisers??

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

GPXXX
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Are FTO's equipped with factory immobilisers??

Post by GPXXX »

I'm shopping for a car alarm soon, but I'd like to know if FTOs come with a factory-equipped immobiliser system similar to the Lancer/Mirage in which the car cannot be started with a duplicate key (because it has a special transmitter inside the key which deactivates the immobiliser when inserted into the ignition).

I have about $500 to spend - any decent alarms that i can go for? basically i want the following main features (for convenience):

1. remote central locking
2. remote engine starter
3. adjustable sensitivity (so it won't go off when other cars drive pasr)
4. remote window wind-up

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Well i know the pre-face lift one don't have factory immobiliser. & i think if u going 4 alarm u should get one with 3 points imobiliser as well. (Well at least 4 the insurance sake)

Anyway even if is got a chip in the key, u can get away with it by getting another key from dealer (although is $60 each), take the chip out, & install it inside the steering box, so u can engine start the car from your alarm. & u won't need the factory immobiliser once u got the alarm installed anyway! I've done this 2 some of my car so i know it works.

Btw its illegal 2 have engine start in Australia with a manual car, which i believe urs is!

One last point, I've got a friend who can install a good alarm with all the feature u want around $500, but I think is more if u want 3points. So let me know if u r interested. & don't worry his not one of those crapy installer, his a licence installer & he installed & supplied all the stereos & alarms in all my cars included the FTO, so u can c his works from the pics.
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

where does this friend of yours work? what sort of alarm will you / him recommend for $500 installed?

btw, i have never heard of a law that says remote-starters on manual cars are illegal... guess i'm quite happy to take that chance :wink:

and what does '3 point' mean??
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Well my friend is a mobile installer, so basically he can come 2 u! U can tell him what feature u want & he recommend the right one 4 u! His number 0412 999 933, & tell him Kevin send u.

3 points mean, the alarm cuts off at 3 different places when someone try 2 start your car without disarming it. Every alarm is different so i can tell u where they cut off, but usually is ignition, & fuel. I can't remember the third one! heheeehe.

Well is up 2 u, I found out is illegal 4 manual after I installed it in one of my other car, & i have 2 take it out when i sell it. & insurance won't let u have it either!