Gear Box

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

kazbah
National Secretary
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Gear Box

Post by kazbah »

:?: As a new owner of an FTO - and loving every minute of it! - could someone please give me a rundown of problems that may be encountered with the triptronic gearbox. I'm not too sure if mine is playing up as it seems to select a half gear while in forth (?)... Its still under warranty so if it is playing up I want to report it now and get them to pay for the repairs.. :wink:
MattG
Grease Monkey

Post by MattG »

Half gear?

I think I know what you mean if you are referring to the sound of the engine and power. It sounds like it is dropping down a gear, but the gear display on the dash does not show it shift down.

I do not think this is a problem with the gearbox, when the car really shifts down a gear it actually shows it on the dash dsiplay.

What I think you'll find is that the problem you are getting only occurs under slight acceleration up a hill for example. I think that you will notice the sound of the engine sounds a bit deeper, I think this is just when the engine management calls the second camshaft into play.

(or maybe I think too much!)

Oh and note that when you are going down hill with your foot off the accelerator (depending on your speed), the INVECS-II transmission (being the smart little thing it is) will automatically shift down a gear to hold you at the same speed. Even on slight inclines you may find this happen.

M@
http://www.forensicdata.com.au
The Data Recovery Experts
kazbah
National Secretary

Post by kazbah »

Thanks MattG you have hit the nail on the head with your description of what happens. Your info really set my mind at ease. Now its just down to servicing the car, but this site is great for all the info needed in that area.
Thanks again :wink: