Power steering belt

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

G1
Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Power steering belt

Post by G1 »

Guess who's driving with no power steering?

ok I need to get this replaced. Has anyone done it before and can tell me what I am up for in terms of $$$? I did have it fixed under warranty once before but didn't pay attention to the price. It didn't look too involved anyway.

Should I change my A/C belt along with it while they got it all apart?
dannyboyau
Veteran Mechanic

Post by dannyboyau »

Yep you should do both at the same time

and you should be able to use after market belts for the ALT and Power Steering belts just take them to a company that deals in belts and they will match them up.

How ever I do suggest you stick with Genuine mitsubishi belt for Cam Belt as after market ones have been Known to fail prematurly
G1
Mechanic

Post by G1 »

Thanks danny. hows that picure coming along? :wink:

does anyone have part numbers??
MattG
Grease Monkey

Post by MattG »

I just replaced these myself last weekend. My power steering / aircon belt was split along the length of the belt and making a bit of a noise.

The Power steering / air conditioner belt is the one belt. The Genuine Mitsubishi part number is MD321692...the after market belt number you need would be the 6PK 1070. I could not find any 6PK 1070 for sale (Mitsubishi would have to order from Japan and cost $300). However one guy in the Mitsubishi parts department told me a 6PK 1080 would fit and that they had those in stock.
After a bit of looking around I found a 6PK 1080 belt for about $30.
This is a flat belt with 6 ribs, I believe the number (eg 1070/1080) refers to the actual length of the belt.

The alternator is the thinner belt in front of the power steering belt.
It is a flat belt with 4 ribs (4PK 945 I think). You will need to remove this to be able to get to the aircon/power steering belt. This belt on mine was OK so I did not replace it.

One last note, I found it extremely hard to undo the bolts on the bottom of the car....but if you hit with a bit of WD40 and leave it for about 10-15 mins it loosens up nicely. If it is still hard to undo, leave it a bit longer, and keep trying.

The info I used to do this was found here:
http://www.mitsubishi-fto.org/workshop/ ... index.html

M@
http://www.forensicdata.com.au
The Data Recovery Experts
G1
Mechanic

Post by G1 »

thanks matt, where did you end up getting the parts from?? Mitsubishi?? which one?
MattG
Grease Monkey

Post by MattG »

I ended up getting the 6PK1080 belt from a spares place in Cabramatta - can't remember the name, but the prices from Repco etc weren't too bad either.

M@
http://www.forensicdata.com.au
The Data Recovery Experts