Replace Hydraluic Tensioner when doing Timing Belt?

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

SilentBob
Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Replace Hydraluic Tensioner when doing Timing Belt?

Post by SilentBob »

Hi, anyone know if this is the norm? Got a quote from Kempy's Bitza Mitsa in NZ for a cam belt for my GPX(which ended up being about 1/2 of what the local mitsu dealer quoted) and they said it is recommended to replace the Tensioner at the same time...

Anyone?Just want to know if i should order both(seeing as for the price of both is equal to just the belt locally.....)

SilentBob
Cohn
Grease Monkey

helping hand

Post by Cohn »

Hey silentbob...

I am sorry, this isn't really going to answer your question. However i would appreciate it if maybe you could give me some advice, and we might be able to help each other out...

I am also looking at getting a cambelt for my GPX... I had a quote from Mitsubishi for $250 for an item that should be around the $40 mark.

From what i understood from most of the mechanics i have spoken to, the reason why they price the belt's to high is due to the fact that they are an odd size, and that mistubishi are the only company or organisation to make them.

So here are my questions:

A. Are you sure that this is the correct belt for a GPX?
B. How much did they qoute you?

Under the assumption that it is the correct belt, and that the price is right, my menial offer would be.

"Let's order a couple of belt's from them, split the shipping costs, and maybe get a small discount from the items themselves???"

Hope to hear from you.
lilbeast@pacific.net.au
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

what is the tensionar pulley ? and is it easily replaced ? oh yeah whats their life too
Jono
Mechanic

Post by Jono »

id be in for bulk cambelt..

jono
SilentBob
Mechanic

Post by SilentBob »

cambelt = timing belt
in that it provides the timing for the cams?
or at least thats my understanding ;)
Chrisp
Apprentice

Post by Chrisp »

the cambelt (= timing belt) is a rubber belt with teeth that connects the crankshaft to the four camshafts, so that when the pistons go up and down the valves open and close.
I recently had mine changed. Cost $300 for geniune belt and about 5 hours labour !!! ie, pretty bloody expensive. They didnt replace the tensioner, it seemed fine, but they did replace the water pump while the engine was apart cause it had started to weep. Cost $400 for pump !!!!! Bloody money hungry mitsubishi dealers.