Another roof rust thread

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

corvandus
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Another roof rust thread

Post by corvandus »

Hey guys, I'm in a bit of a bind.
Part of me wants to get this whole thing fixed, cost be damned. What I'm wondering is, if I follow the guide and have the subframe welded back in place after treating, will it make cutting and repairing the rust lines more difficult (and thus more expensive)?

Attached are a few photos. Apologies for the Perth sunshine.
Mostly bubbles, largest cluster ~30mm. A couple have broken through the pain no larger than 4mm
1. Front line
2. Rear line driver side
3. Rear line passenger side

Thoughts and advice appreciated.
Attachments
Front line
Front line
Rear Driver side
Rear Driver side
Rear passenger
Rear passenger
BorepYano
Forum Moderator

Re: Another roof rust thread

Post by BorepYano »

i just cut out the sections of rust on the roof; removed as much of the glue as possible; removed as much rust as possible from the sub frame and treated it; then a crap load of fibreglass to bind the subframe and roof back together; and a crap load of bog for the roof.

seems to have worked pretty well; but then I sold the car as is to Sahin, who then sold it on to some one else; so can't tell you how it's going now.

Phil did something similar, then repainted; if I remember correctly. I think that was a few years ago and it's still holding up perfectly as of April at the bonfire.
kiz wrote:
silverGPX wrote:This requires a thread? lol
There's potential for a thread about anything on FTO Australia
corvandus

Post by corvandus »

Replaced the cut outs with fiberglass? Wonder how that'd go over here. Perth summers are pretty brutal.
Tempted to take it to a chap, but concerned the cost is going to be unreasonable. I'm happy to drop a grand or two, but beyond that I couldn't justify. And I love my little batmobile.
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

Cut out, weld plates in.

Suggest seeing a body shop. Gotta get rid of the glue and get rid of any traces of rust and start from scratch otherwise it will end up just coming back.
I fix cars.
Bennoz wrote:I got Bali beli & sharted on my phone. But it was fun :D
bjk wrote:you old people are no help at all.