Keeping traction in a FWD

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

bjk
Totes
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Keeping traction in a FWD

Post by bjk »

Question. When a FWD loses traction, what is happening and what's the best way to correct it? I find that sharper corners are a lot easier, but on the broader ones I can't judge how much grip I have left as easily.
POWERED BY #TIMKNOTTMOTORSPORT: 2013-2016
Image Image Image Image
PHIL069
Oldtimer

Re: Keeping traction in a FWD

Post by PHIL069 »

Sometimes you need to turn in more and give more power mid corner, sometimes you need to back off a bit mid corner if you under-estimated it, sometimes you need to straighten the car and brake gently and firmly.
It all comes down to experience and practice, and tyres, road surface, temps etc.
You can do advance driver training courses, which would be highly recomended these days.
Back in my time it was all trial and error, I done a few 180's in error in my younger days. I've had to straighten a motor bike mid corner and brake when I have under estimated a corner, luckily for me there was a driveway in the direction I had to take which gave me more braking space.
On the bathurst trip last year, I gunned it through a cold damp corner and my front tyres started to loose grip and squeal, I had to slow down mid corner and keep the car turning in and made it through.
On the Putty road run I started to loose grip mid corner, the road was dry approaching but water was running accross the road mid corner, I had to gun it a bit harder and turn into the corner more.
On the run to the bonfire this year, it was raining coming down the twisties just before Dwaynes place, Vectose and I gave it a bit of a go, I had Daniel riding shotgun, got to a very very wet mid corner, gunned it and the front wheels spun in the water, took my foot off the juice and immediatly gunned it again, wheels spun again, off the juice again and gunned it again, found grip and flew through the corner, this was all in a split second descision. Daniel was a bit gobsmacked and thought we were going to loose it, I new we weren't.

All I'm trying to say is that there is not a simple answer to your question as different circumstances required different solutions.
The only way to be sure is to drive slow :lol:
mikeey01nzl wrote:Hats off to you too Phil for spending so much time on the phone trying to help someone out, your a top man and only a few would've spent so much time. well done! :salut:
Daniel2019 wrote:Come on phil, we bonded at the bonfire, lets be honest here...me and phil are besties now... :lol:
bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

Thanks! I have yet to spin all the way around, but I did bump a guard rail last night. :oops: only a scratch, but it was a bit of a lesson. I guess it's knowing what to do when it goes to sh*t that I'm wondering about, although I seem to have fared okay. A friend told me it's better to keep accelerating. If I understand right, I think it makes sense. If the brakes lock up and the tyres are just sliding, getting them moving might stop it and allow me to follow the corner?

didn't help that the tyres were still "cold", and it was a road I'm still getting used to.
Image Image Image Image
PHIL069
Oldtimer

Post by PHIL069 »

Your guard rail bump is called learning.
You just can't keep accelerating in all corner losses, sometimes it will make you have a bigger accident.
When you have to brake mid corner you try not to let the wheels lock up, or you will loose grip and slide out. If you have to brake in a corner you will do better with your wheels pointing staight as well, do your braking and turn back into the corner.
You need to practice some emergency braking, it's up to you to determine how much peddle to use, if your wheels lock up you need to release the peddle and brake again.
Get up to speed in a back area, ie no traffic, like an industrial area at night, check your mirrors and brake as if in an emergency, when stopped check your mirrors again and be ready for an immediate take off, in real situations it's always good to be ready to go again incase there is somebody about to smash into your rear. In time you will know the braking capabilities of your car and yourself. If you lock up the brakes, release and re-brake. If you practice this often it becomes second nature when you realy need it.
Even better if you can practice on dirt too.

EDIT: Just like to say that the 180's I found myyoungself in were in V8 rear wheel drive cars.
mikeey01nzl wrote:Hats off to you too Phil for spending so much time on the phone trying to help someone out, your a top man and only a few would've spent so much time. well done! :salut:
Daniel2019 wrote:Come on phil, we bonded at the bonfire, lets be honest here...me and phil are besties now... :lol:
shadowarrior
Tightarse

Post by shadowarrior »

I had a habit of feathering my brakes and sitting right close to the steering wheel..and my cornering estimates were all over the place.......too much motorbike experience...brain kept saying, yeah you will be fine if you take that line, you always do on the bike....wrong :\

Took some tips..even though my brain said...WTF are you doing?!?!?! But I have faired well since...kept practicing new things I learnt, and watched 10001 videos on advanced driving training exercises.

My driving is a little better now...better than how I drove on my trip down to the Bonfire...Sahin can vouch for that I guess...he has sat with me throughout the bonfire trip and recently he and Taz sat with me on small Supercheap runs :)
bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

I'm usually fairly alright, but a few times I've pushed it a little too hard before entering, don't leave myself enough time to brake and lock them up as I'm going around the corner. Been thinking I might have to hit up some videos, and maybe even some courses like Phil suggested.
Image Image Image Image
BorepYano
Forum Moderator

Post by BorepYano »

I found a much easier solution to the traction issue, got a car with traction control. :lol:

sorry, didn't have anything to add as Phil explained it pretty well. If u r going to try to find the limits of the car, then do it in a safe space, i.e. take it to the tracks, or the Fast and Furious 6 runway. lol
kiz wrote:
silverGPX wrote:This requires a thread? lol
There's potential for a thread about anything on FTO Australia
vanadinite
Veteran Mechanic

Post by vanadinite »

BorepYano wrote:If u r going to try to find the limits of the car, then do it in a safe space, i.e. take it to the tracks, or the Fast and Furious 6 runway. lol
HAHA!!
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

Yeah, god damn it Phil. Was having a nice snooze until then :lol:

I usually just dont go over 30km/h.
I fix cars.
Bennoz wrote:I got Bali beli & sharted on my phone. But it was fun :D
bjk wrote:you old people are no help at all.
bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

lol! Maybe I'll make it down (or was it up...) to the track at Mallala some time.
Daniel2019 wrote:Yeah, god damn it Phil. Was having a nice snooze until then :lol:

I usually just dont go over 30km/h.
All the time? :lol: You're one of those people I overtake, haha.