magna bits?

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

okamitengu
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

magna bits?

Post by okamitengu »

i have heard i can rape magnas for parts... can anyone add to this list, or IS this the entirety of magna models i can strip?

throttle body.. te-tw magna 6g72/74

brake calipers: .. ?

shock absorber mounts?

any other parts? im interested to see (: search didnt help for shock absorber mounts
spetz
Oldtimer

Re: magna bits?

Post by spetz »

TB fits
Top mounts I read fit
Brake calipers, most are single pot so it would be a downgrade I think

I think maybe the knuckles fit allowing easy Evo Brembos to be fitted but no confirmation of this
destinationtoby
Broke it

Post by destinationtoby »

Did anyone ever confirm weather the throttle bottle is actually safe ?
I did the search, and there some talk of it running rich etc and could cause damage. .?
Because nothing is faster than a p plater in a commodore.....
except maybe a p plater on a unicorn
FTOcrazy273 wrote: Destinationtoby probably has one of THE best FTO's on the forum I never get tired of looking at his pics! Good work mate!
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

destinationtoby wrote:Did anyone ever confirm weather the throttle bottle is actually safe ?
I did the search, and there some talk of it running rich etc and could cause damage. .?
Yeah runs heaps rich down low. On idle mine was like 17:1 A/Fs. Had to rejig my maps a bit. Up high it was ok, but I wouldn't be doing it if I didn't have an adjustable ECU.
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

Bennoz wrote:
destinationtoby wrote:Did anyone ever confirm weather the throttle bottle is actually safe ?
Yeah runs heaps rich down low. On idle mine was like 17:1 A/Fs. Had to rejig my maps a bit. Up high it was ok, but I wouldn't be doing it if I didn't have an adjustable ECU.
How big is the TB
destinationtoby
Broke it

So it's not the sorta thing I should do if I don't know what I'm doing apart from bolting straight and getting a small power gain?
FTOcrazy273 wrote: Destinationtoby probably has one of THE best FTO's on the forum I never get tired of looking at his pics! Good work mate!
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

So best bet is to do the throttle body upgrade at the same time as installing a haltech etc..

Interdasting...
I fix cars.
Bennoz wrote:I got Bali beli & sharted on my phone. But it was fun :D
bjk wrote:you old people are no help at all.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

silverGPX wrote:
Bennoz wrote:
How big is the TB
65mm
destinationtoby wrote:So it's not the sorta thing I should do if I don't know what I'm doing apart from bolting straight and getting a small power gain?
Correct. Plus there's a bucketload of grinding to be done to the intake manifold to match it to 65mm as well.
Daniel2019 wrote:So best bet is to do the throttle body upgrade at the same time as installing a haltech etc..

Interdasting...
You could also do it at the same time you put your engine back together :troll:
okamitengu
Grease Monkey

Post by okamitengu »

so.. back to interchangeable parts?

i was already aware of the Throttle body!

derailment everywhere!
Technikhaus
Oldtimer

Post by Technikhaus »

What did you expect?
It's FTOAU after all!
Man '96 FTO GPX
Man '89 Legacy RS Rally car
Man '90 MR2 GT
Auto '08 Fairmont Ghia
destinationtoby
Broke it

I think The magna has the same stud pattern, so should be able to fit some magna stockies on your fto
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

Bennoz wrote:You could also do it at the same time you put your engine back together :troll:
Thats what I was going to do but an ECU upgrade/tune wont be done for a little while after its back together and I dont want it running like sh*t until then.
I fix cars.
Bennoz wrote:I got Bali beli & sharted on my phone. But it was fun :D
bjk wrote:you old people are no help at all.
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

Bennoz did you ever install a Magna TB on an FTO plenum or just the 6A13?
I remember RPW was saying that the FTO plenum needed additional metal welded on before grinding. Any truth to this?
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

spetz wrote:Bennoz did you ever install a Magna TB on an FTO plenum or just the 6A13?
I remember RPW was saying that the FTO plenum needed additional metal welded on before grinding. Any truth to this?
Just the 6A13. Shane001 did one to an FTO plenum on his racecar, all it needed was the mouth ground out, same as mine.
okamitengu wrote:so.. back to interchangeable parts?

i was already aware of the Throttle body!

derailment everywhere!
Sorry :lol:

Brake calipers are different, but the disc rotors on the 3rd gens are the same as GPX (276mm)

Shocks are different, top mounts are same as FTO.

I'm pretty sure some of the engine mounts are similar too, but would have to go look at one to confirm.

Some of the interior is the same, the Verada has the same climate control head unit as FTO (non VR), Indicator assembly is also similar.
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

I've used the little switch cover for the headlights stalk from a Magna as the markings had faded
okamitengu
Grease Monkey

Post by okamitengu »

where is my like button ..

im just gonna randomly like one of your facebook comments ben, its for this response.. remember that when it happens...
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

okamitengu wrote:where is my like button ..

im just gonna randomly like one of your facebook comments ben, its for this response.. remember that when it happens...
I'll keep an eye out for it :lol:
PHIL069
Oldtimer

Post by PHIL069 »

Bennoz wrote:Just the 6A13. Shane001 did one to an FTO plenum on his racecar, all it needed was the mouth ground out, same as mine.
I have a 65mm Magna throttle body and a ground out FTO plenum..............sitting in my garage for use one day...........got it off of Akys...........Hmmmm, still need to give you $20 moar Akys, maybe next bonfie, if you show.
mikeey01nzl wrote:Hats off to you too Phil for spending so much time on the phone trying to help someone out, your a top man and only a few would've spent so much time. well done! :salut:
Daniel2019 wrote:Come on phil, we bonded at the bonfire, lets be honest here...me and phil are besties now... :lol:
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

spetz wrote:Bennoz did you ever install a Magna TB on an FTO plenum or just the 6A13?

done on mine even pre turbo just matched plenum inlet to suit easy mod had to fiddle bit with new TB as in just swap over water lines. even TPS is same, although could adjust A/F ratios too and does run rich at idle without ability to do so
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

vipfto wrote:

done on mine even pre turbo just matched plenum inlet to suit easy mod had to fiddle bit with new TB as in just swap over water lines. even TPS is same, although could adjust A/F ratios too and does run rich at idle without ability to do so
Oh yeah, I forgot about the water lines. I just swapped the whole cooling housing over from the original TB.