whistle sound in my engine

Got a problem with your FTO? ask about it here

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

andie066
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

whistle sound in my engine

Post by andie066 »

i dont know what it is but i keep hearing it for a while when i first turn the car on. and also when i drive it too hard... what is that sound and is that bad? and also today i turned my car on after not touching it all day the car missed the first rev... (that rev u hear when u turn the car on)....
i donno what to do... maybee service it? oil cahange or something... can anyone help?
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Hmmmmmm u would happen to change your air-filter to one of those pod type rite?
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
debbie
Grease Monkey

hey

Post by debbie »

hi, there are two belts on the right hand side, you can see them easily. one is small and the other is larger. i think they are fan belts, not exactly sure what they are called but my car has the same problem. whoever had the car before me had the wrong belts put on. the ones on my car only have 4 notches, where our cars need one with five. you can feel under the belt to c how many notches are there. when i get my car serviced next, they will change them for me, will cost me about 15 dollars.
goodluck:)_
andie066
Apprentice

Post by andie066 »

nar i havent changed the air filter....
its the belts? yeah... coz my friend said someting about the belts... so i need the 5 ones? thanks ...
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

The only whistling sounds I've read on this forum were, as Kev suggested, the air filter, and also some people reported this when they did the UAS mod to their exhaust (the exhaust gasket was leaking and needed replacing).
MIVEC is My Friend :D
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

ruchi with the UAS engine pipe that's only under load this appears to be a problem on startup or idle???

does the sound change with revs?

is it a high pitched whilst or is it a lower almost droaning sound.
andie066
Apprentice

Post by andie066 »

whats a UAS pipe?
dont think i got one :?
but yeah..... mines a high pitch whistle.. donno what it means still :cry:
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

The only other whisle noise i know its when the alternator its about to go. :? And u can hear it during start up & under lots of load.
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
Black_FTOGPX
Mechanic

Post by Black_FTOGPX »

Power steering can make a whistling noise if your belts are loose and slipping
DZYRME
Mechanic

Post by DZYRME »

Black_FTOGPX wrote:Power steering can make a whistling noise if your belts are loose and slipping
It sounds like thats exactly what it is. When My air con compressor (which also controls the Power Steering) caught on fire, I was getting the same noise before it went. I suggest you get it checked out ASAP before it catches on fire like mine did!!
andie066
Apprentice

Post by andie066 »

eRrrr,......... :? so its a bad thing yeah?
how do i fix it :?
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

andie066 wrote:eRrrr,......... :? so its a bad thing yeah?
take it to a workshop..

check with the melbourne guys about the best places to have your car serviced in melbourne.
debbie
Grease Monkey

Post by debbie »

hay andy, please let me know what happens if you take it in. my power steering belt is squealy and gets worse over time. interested to know what a repair place says about yours.
DZYRME
Mechanic

Post by DZYRME »

andie066 wrote:eRrrr,......... :? so its a bad thing yeah?
Take it to your local mechanic and tell him to check the Air Con Compressor. You will probably find that the bearings in the compressor are slowly eating away your belts. (Hence the Squeaky Sound)
debbie
Grease Monkey

Post by debbie »

andy066, what ended up happening?
i told you my power steering belt was squeeling, now it is getting worse, im taking it in tomorrow and hopefully my car will shut up!!! :)
twistea
Grease Monkey

Post by twistea »

debbie, you could buy some belt grip spray to cure the squealing problem. ive used it on other cars and it works a treat. if your current belt is still in good condition then it would probably be a good idea to get some instead of replacing the belt. the spray is available from most auto parts stores.