FTO GR Engine variation question.

New to FTO's? Or Just new to this forum? Come introduce yourself, we dont bite.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Rabbit
jedwabna poszewka promocja

FTO GR Engine variation question.

Post by Rabbit »

Hello all,

I am new to the site and about to buy my first FTO. The issue I have come accross is a few 94 GR's have been up for sale but when I view the photos I see MIVEC engines. (at least the rocker cover has MIVEC on it). From online information I thought the GR's only came out with the non-MIVEC 2.0L engine and it was the GPX, GX & GPvR that had MIVEC. So the only eplanations I can come up with are;
1. I am wrong, GR's did come out with MIVEC
2. Someone has replaced the engine with another with MIVEC
3. Someone has a MIVEC rocker cover on a non-MIVEC engine (not likely I know)

As I am new I have no real world experience with these cars. I enjoy driving and wish to buy the car for that reason. The fact that some versions are slightly more powerful than others is not a deal breaker for me but I would like to know where I stand when I make a purchase. Yes, I will be test driving the car and see if the MIVEC power band kicks in at approx 5500rpm, but if the GR never had this as standard then the real question is why it's in the car now. Again I could be completely wrong so this is why I'm posting for some help. Can someone shed some light on this? Thanks in advance :lol:
EscapingFate
Mechanic

Re: FTO GR Engine variation question.

Post by EscapingFate »

Gr's do not come stock with Mivec... SO some one either may have replaced the engine cover or the engine completely... best thing to do to test it... take it for a spirited run make sure its warm and hit 5500 rpm you should feel a little kick in power once you hit 5.5krpm that means mivec has kicked in.

Theres other ways but thats probs the most enjoyable way... haha
EscapingFate
Mechanic

Post by EscapingFate »

Forgot to add (make sure its warm) because rev limiter is on at 6000rpm until the car is warmed up so you wont be able to feel mivec till the car is warm.
bass_twitch
Oldtimer

Post by bass_twitch »

Any chance either the photos or description is wrong?
(see that all the time in dealer photos)
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

The rocker covers cannot be fitted between MIVEC and non MIVEC engines.
If your oil filler is on the bottom left then it is a MIVEC engine, if it is on the top right corner then it is non MIVEC
Rabbit

Post by Rabbit »

Wow, thanks for the quick response. The photos (for both the GR cars I saw) were on carsales.com.au (both dealer ads). If I go through with the purchase I will post up some pics of my own. Rev limited to 6K prior to engine warming up is anoter feature I did not know about. I'll make sure its warm n ready before I try opening it up.