First Car

New to FTO's? Or Just new to this forum? Come introduce yourself, we dont bite.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

JohanGPX
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Re: First Car

Post by JohanGPX »

bjk wrote:Haha, it's not that I don't want one, it's just practicality issues. If only they had a four-door version. :|
you high?
bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

High?
POWERED BY #TIMKNOTTMOTORSPORT: 2013-2016
Image Image Image Image
phi-tec
Veteran Mechanic

Post by phi-tec »

bjk wrote:Yeah, as soon as I saw that they only came out in 2001 I was thinking it might be a little out of range. As I said first, being practical is more sedan/hatch territory.

I'm looking about the $5000 mark, depending on how much money it'll take to move out. Lancers seem like a reliable option, if not a bit more pricey for their popularity. a Mazda 323 or 626, or even a Commodore if I felt I needed a bit more power/space. but yeah, it'll depend what funds I have, and what's available at the time.
mazda 323 astina (BA series) was my 2nd car, i reckon it was pretty good, not bad on fuel, lots of space considering its size, and is awesome for skiddys...... hahaha not much power, but for practicality i reckon its a decent choice and u could prob pick one up for about 4-5, just make sure u put oil in it... and fix leaks.. i would know from experience =.= - not cars fault haha
You have the right to remain silent, anything you do say will be quoted and used against you
bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

It is only 4 cyl after all. But that's why it's good for fuel I guess. and I really won't be driving it on the highway or anywhere with a speed limit of more than 60-70 anyway.

dad reckons Mazda's pretty good, we've got a 2003 or something MPV which I drive currently.
Image Image Image Image
phi-tec
Veteran Mechanic

Post by phi-tec »

bjk wrote:It is only 4 cyl after all. But that's why it's good for fuel I guess. and I really won't be driving it on the highway or anywhere with a speed limit of more than 60-70 anyway.

dad reckons Mazda's pretty good, we've got a 2003 or something MPV which I drive currently.
theres a v6 version, and also, if u need parts, one of the ford lasers share the same engine (mazda owns ford i think? or vice versa) after i blew my engine it got reconditioned and somehow ended up with a ford rocket cover haha
You have the right to remain silent, anything you do say will be quoted and used against you
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

*Edited by moderator*

Someone's clearly fogotten their meds today.
bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

Huh, didn't know that. Or at least wasn't paying attention if I saw one.

Wikipedia reveals Mazda is indeed owned by Ford. which I also didn't know.
Image Image Image Image
renzkuken1
Veteran Mechanic

Post by renzkuken1 »

silverGPX wrote:*Edited by moderator*

Someone's clearly fogotten their meds today.
:lol:
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

Nah just sick of noobs
Supplanter
Forum Moderator

Post by Supplanter »

silverGPX wrote:Nah just sick of noobs
Then stay out of the Newbie section. :asshat:
LED ALL the things.
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

silverGPX wrote:Nah just sick of noobs
Well you where a noob too at one point :?
EscapingFate
Mechanic

Post by EscapingFate »

Wouldnt even bother with a Hoonadore... lancers are alright but nothing beats an FTO. It is just fine for space ive had a full car MANY times and the only time people complained was when we were going for cruises on a hot day because the sun was hitting their neck in the back seat... they said they were fine for room in the back etc.

And it runs like a dream. But thats just me and my mates...
renzkuken1
Veteran Mechanic

Post by renzkuken1 »

that's why you get tint :P 5% and i can't feel the sun. :D
dstocks
National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

OK, heres my spiel.

FTO is economical considering its a sports car. Reliable if maintained properly and treated with respect. It will run on 95 ron, but likes 98 more (and is better for it). Considering you get better fuel economy out of 98 over 95, why would you go the lesser. Will out handle anything in the same price range. Has good pickup (but not too much for a learning driver). Parts arent too hard to come by these days. Looks havent dated too much either. If you get one after 97, youll avoid the rust issue (bit of a lucky dip prior to 97 - look for bubbles). Im probably close to the same age as your dad (43) and I have to say that there is a real perception out there that imports are bad. This is not always the case. Given the perception, it usually means that they are cheaper as less people consider them. I ill say that if you get a good one you wont look back.

Anyway, ill jump off my soap box now......
Complete FTO (http://www.completefto.com.au/completefto.asp)
    If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
    bass_twitch
    Oldtimer

First Car

Post by bass_twitch »

dstocks wrote:OK, heres my spiel.

FTO is economical considering its a sports car. Reliable if maintained properly and treated with respect. It will run on 95 ron, but likes 98 more (and is better for it). Considering you get better fuel economy out of 98 over 95, why would you go the lesser. Will out handle anything in the same price range. Has good pickup (but not too much for a learning driver). Parts arent too hard to come by these days. Looks havent dated too much either. If you get one after 97, youll avoid the rust issue (bit of a lucky dip prior to 97 - look for bubbles). Im probably close to the same age as your dad (43) and I have to say that there is a real perception out there that imports are bad. This is not always the case. Given the perception, it usually means that they are cheaper as less people consider them. I ill say that if you get a good one you wont look back.

Anyway, ill jump off my soap box now......
    +1 :)
    bjk
    Totes

Post by bjk »

Haha, I think he is 43 actually..

I guess it's not so much that I couldn't convince him, but it would be a fair effort. a bit because of that perception, but also because there are more sensible options out there, and this is sort of a, well, it looks pretty sweet, and it is a sportscar.

how much more is 98 these days per litre than standard? as mentioned, it won't be driven a terrible lot each week, but if I ever need to take a long trip.

thanks a lot everyone for your help! this might be reinforcing my want of one, hah, but at least it'll be an informed decision.