IDLE HELP!

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

YYgirl
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

IDLE HELP!

Post by YYgirl »

hey guys, i've had my GR for over 2 years now, it's starting to have problems here and there. I've found another problem, it's that the car idles low when car is hot, about less than 500 RPM.
I've bought a second hand Idling speed controller from an import shop on the GOLD COAST, and got new spark plugs in the car, however it still happens. It seems that when i turn on the head lights and fog lights at night, the idling speed drops a little, and if i hold the windows button up (after the windows are shut), the idling also drops as well.

I am wondering if any of you guys have had these problems before? i suspect that the electricity is some how affecting the idling speed, but dont know why. Thanks for helping.
dAsh
Apprentice

Post by dAsh »

Yygirl,
the possible reasons can be numerous, the simplest thing to look at is the fact your battery may be showing signs of old age and is not keeping the correct amount of charge (which is supplied by the alternator).
Get your battery tested first, and if it's dodgy, replace it.
More importantly, if it's the original battery, or a direct replacement of the original battery, CHUCK IT! Those micro batteries are the pits! I have a 9 plate in mine and it's as strong as an ox.
As I said, there are many reasons for the idle running low (especially when turning on your lights), that's possibly the easiest thing to check for a start (pun intended) :roll:
Hopefully it's nothing to do with your alternator, but that can be fixed as well.
dAsh
Apprentice

Post by dAsh »

Another thought just struck me like a bolt of lightening.
As you had problems and replaced the stepper motor (isc), did you do a computer reset on the FTO?
If not, that's the first thing I would attempt.
All this involves is removing both battery leads (start by removing the red (positive) terminal then the black, and leaving the car totally without power for a minimum of 30 minutes.
This will cause engine management to recheck/reset all systems when powered up again.
YYgirl
Grease Monkey

Post by YYgirl »

Thanks!
I just removed it. waiting for the 30min now. hehe
hope it will be fine!
dAsh
Apprentice

Post by dAsh »

It most likely won't help, but try the simple things first ;)
YYgirl
Grease Monkey

Post by YYgirl »

hey, it feels better after resetting the ECU, however i haven't been driving around long enough to see if it idles low when engine is hot. But it's looking good at the moment. I will see when i go out for a drive tomorrow. THanks heaps dash.
and keep me informed about the pod.
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

one scary moment i had with my FTO was after a car wash and turning on the car, it started to cough and struggles to idle below 500rpms after ignition... (felt like as if the battery was giving way) howver the battery was a brand new replacement...

this went on for about 3 seconds and then it was OK again... any ideas??
MADFTO
Mechanic

Post by MADFTO »

You might of gotten your air filter wet . . . . filters don't like being wet =)
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

i have a suspicion that might have been the reason... good excuse for an airbox eh? damn... i been putting this off for far too long!
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

what were you doing going through the car wash in the firstp lace ? my gf goes through them all the time iwht her car, and she has soo many small swirl scratches all over the car. Best and only wayto wash a car is buy hand !!
dAsh
Apprentice

Post by dAsh »

Who said anyone went through a carwash?
YYgirl
Grease Monkey

Post by YYgirl »

Hey guys, my car is idling low again, around 400 in "drive" gear. What are your idling speeds in "Drive"?
This happens at night times when I have my headlights on and fog lights on. I've put in 80watt bulbs. Could that affect it?
During day time, everything is fine, idling around 600 in "D".
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

02NV wrote:one scary moment i had with my FTO was after a car wash and turning on the car, it started to cough and struggles to idle below 500rpms after ignition... (felt like as if the battery was giving way) howver the battery was a brand new replacement...

this went on for about 3 seconds and then it was OK again... any ideas??
dAsh
Apprentice

Post by dAsh »

Ahh well, I'm 'old school' carwash and car wash mean 2 very different things to me!
dAsh
Apprentice

Post by dAsh »

YYgirl wrote:Hey guys, my car is idling low again, around 400 in "drive" gear. What are your idling speeds in "Drive"?
This happens at night times when I have my headlights on and fog lights on. I've put in 80watt bulbs. Could that affect it?
During day time, everything is fine, idling around 600 in "D".
yygirl, as I stated in my first post, get your battery checked, eliminate the little things first, your battery could be too small/old to hold enough charge to power the higher wattage globes.
YYgirl
Grease Monkey

Post by YYgirl »

Umm. i hope not, because i just got a new one from RACQ about 6 months ago, the same size as the original one. Would it fit bigger batteries?
dAsh
Apprentice

Post by dAsh »

Absolutely it holds a bigger battery.
If you replaced the original micro battery with one of the same type, then you are asking for trouble, the original batteries are the same type found in a Nissan Micra!
Not enough plates to hold a decent charge.
YYgirl
Grease Monkey

Post by YYgirl »

oh damn! so what size do you reackon i should get? and it's normally at around 13.5 volts after car started, drops to about 12 when idling at the traffic lights..
Boney
Apprentice

Post by Boney »

YYgirl wrote:oh damn! so what size do you reackon i should get? and it's normally at around 13.5 volts after car started, drops to about 12 when idling at the traffic lights..
mines around the same.. and i have a replaced battery and no idle problems... mine sits around 1,000 revs when idle...

and from your post before.. you can fit a bigger battery on the plate thats already there...

as you have reset the ECU, and the battery is "reasonably" new.. i would get someone to check the alternator...
Boney
Apprentice

Post by Boney »

i just went on a long drive today.. and noticed by the end of it.. when im sitting at lights.. idle.. im down to 600 as well... but the cars fine... maybe theres nothing to worry about???