jedwabna poszewka promocja

tappet noise

Post by 07up »

what the hell is that?!?!?!?
Dras
Mechanic

Re: tappet noise

Post by Dras »

tap, tap, tap, tap, tap noise coming from the tappets in the engine.

If you want more thought put into an answer, I suggest you put more thought into your question.
07up
Apprentice

Post by 07up »

well its coming from the front and whenever im idling....i can hear it just tapping away....im not sure what more i can put into that? is it a even a actual problem? because if not, i will probably just leave it at that.
Shhtuart
Forum Moderator

Post by Shhtuart »

It's a common occurrence with our engines.

Maybe do an oil change to a thicker oil.

Other than the bad diesel engine sound, it's not an issue.
xj265
Mechanic

Post by xj265 »

could do a search as well, plenty of threads on it ;)
mr_andersen
Grease Monkey

Post by mr_andersen »

You could try this, it seemed to shut mine up.

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online ... 58#details
Dras
Mechanic

Post by Dras »

07up wrote:well its coming from the front and whenever im idling....i can hear it just tapping away....im not sure what more i can put into that? is it a even a actual problem? because if not, i will probably just leave it at that.
That is a little better but "what the hell is that?!?!?!?" certainly doesn't tell us if you are interested in how it sounds, how to fix it or you just thought the word tappet sounded funny.

If you are sure it is your tappets then the next question is what model FTO do you have? If you have a MIVEC FTO then the tappets are adjustable, if you have a non-MIVEC then you should be looking to replace them to resolve the issue.

Tappets are there because our engines wear over time and change shape. It is the tappets job to make sure that despite the engine wearing, the cams can still push down on the valves properly. To accomplish this, they use oil pressure in the case of the non-MIVEC to take up the slack or are manually adjusted in the case of MIVEC.

Having noisy tappets means there is a gap between the roller that sits on top of the tappet and the cam lobe. This gap means the extra stress is placed on the cam lobes and your valves are not opening and the optimal time / duration.

Non-MIVEC tappets fill up with crud from the oil and get less effective over time. Assuming you are using good quality oil and replacing it regularly, oil additives and thicker oil just mask the problem.

There is also a link in the DIY section about replacing them if you have a non-MIVEC.
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=7258
sublime19
Sooty!

Post by sublime19 »

Btw, if you have questions you can post in the Help section, since I notice you've made 4 consecutive threads in here. Also use the search function, you'll be surprised at how much you find..

fk I cant believe i can type normally without making any typos at the mo
I have to work - People on the dole depend on me.
Bennoz wrote:Meet Subby. The class leader & originator of post whoring... Although most of Subbys posts have 'content' :lol:
Bennoz wrote:They especially hate bonnets, they frisbee across the road & behead a pedestrian.
bduffman
Oldtimer

Post by bduffman »

im guessing since your new that you don't know when the oil was last changed
So if I was u ild change the oil as if you have a non mivec often a oil change will fix that tapping up
I've fully replaced mine befor and few weeks later tapped again did a oil change and was quite
The tappets are pretty costly and to have some one put them in they will charge you a arm and leg
07up
Apprentice

Post by 07up »

well i have a GPvR. umm its weird. today i drove it again after replacing the brakes, and ive noticed that the tapping has gone?
SchumieFan
Oldtimer

Post by SchumieFan »

sublime19 wrote:Btw, if you have questions you can post in the Help section, since I notice you've made 4 consecutive threads in here. Also use the search function, you'll be surprised at how much you find..

fk I cant believe i can type normally without making any typos at the mo

WTF :cheers:
bduffman
Oldtimer

Post by bduffman »

Tapping from brakes weird
How dose that work
07up
Apprentice

Post by 07up »

haha you tell me?
well i change the brake pads, and then swap the right front wheel to the left side. and i havent heard tapping since?
pearl_blu_fto
Apprentice

Post by pearl_blu_fto »

07up wrote:haha you tell me?
well i change the brake pads, and then swap the right front wheel to the left side. and i havent heard tapping since?

It'll be back...!

I altered the timing a smidge, gone! Then once again after the oil life diminished slightly back again!

Once the major service is due again! Will adjust the clearances! :)
bduffman
Oldtimer

Post by bduffman »

pearl_blu_fto wrote:
07up wrote:haha you tell me?

It'll be back...!

I altered the timing a smidge, gone! Then once again after the oil life diminished slightly back again!

Once the major service is due again! Will adjust the clearances! :)

Clearly if he changed brake pads and swaped wheels around and it stoped tapping it wasn't anything to do with the engine so your post made no sense
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

/mindfuck
pearl_blu_fto
Apprentice

Post by pearl_blu_fto »

It wasn't my post, this other post to do with wheels has nothing to do with a tappet/lifter noise from the engine! Unless it does... 8O Narrr!

I know this! I'll swap my wheels the next time hear them valve clearances from the cabin of the FTO.
maddenitrous

Post by maddenitrous »

Hey Mate, Use ProMa MBL8, It shut mine up instantly
pearl_blu_fto
Apprentice

Post by pearl_blu_fto »

maddenitrous wrote:Hey Mate, Use ProMa MBL8, It shut mine up instantly
For how long have you been using this additive? Do you add at each oil and filter change?
bduffman
Oldtimer

Post by bduffman »

pearl_blu_fto wrote:It wasn't my post, this other post to do with wheels has nothing to do with a tappet/lifter noise from the engine! Unless it does... 8O Narrr!

I know this! I'll swap my wheels the next time hear them valve clearances from the cabin of the FTO.

It has every thing to do with it cause the tapping turned out not to be the engine but some thing to do with his wheels so the issue with tappets dosent come into it
There's a difference between tappet noise and tapping that he had

Im guessing by the front bar the person using the aditive has a gr so most likely a aditive won't work on the gpx or version r