car stallin while driving

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

FTO2sxy
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

car stallin while driving

Post by FTO2sxy »

howz it goin everyone, hey ive got a 95 fto gpx, today while i was driving twice the car just stalled while i was driving in gear at about 60-70km/h and i just lost all power.

does anyone know what would cause this??
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

funny, i used to have that problem myself... never got around to fix it but within 1-2 weeks the problem appears to have gone away somehow...

i'd like to know what happened too... any takers??
MattG
Grease Monkey

Post by MattG »

Bit hard to say really.

Was it under heavy throttle, light throttle, no throttle?
Going around a corner?

My fathers car once used to stall and die (automatic) for no apparent reason. It turned out that the fuel filter put in was damaged inside, and would occasionally block fuel from coming through.

Another car of ours kept cutting out, took ages to find the problem. It ended up being a peice of tin foil had fallen down near the spark plugs and was causing it to arc.

Could be anything though, ranging from a fuel problem (eg fuel pump, filter, hose) to a throttle body problem, ecu problem, air intake problem.

Bit more info required to narrow it down. See if you can notice any factors that are the same (eg engine temp cold/warm, cold/warm outside temp, light/heavy throttle), or just take it around to a mechanic.

M@
http://www.forensicdata.com.au
The Data Recovery Experts
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

well after picking up my car, it occurred intermittently for 1-2 weeks esp. when negotiating a roundabout or a 2nd gear left/right turn... since then it seems to have gone away though'.. I'M BEWILDERED!

...maybe it had dodgy fuel left in the tank after i filled it up with Optimax when i picked it up???
MADFTO
Mechanic

Post by MADFTO »

I had that problem when I put a piggyback ECU on there without adjusting it . . .

It looked like the car just ran out of fuel . . . however I didn't have any gauges so I couldn't really diagnose on the road . . .

It seemed to be fine after I removed that piggyback . . . I can't remember what it was though . . .
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

hmmm... having said that, i believe it could be my S-AFC when i tried to reset the settings back then... :?
stormwarning81

Post by stormwarning81 »

Hi there all,
I also had this trouble when test driving an fto the other weel. With a little research on the net I found out it is the step up motor which is used for idleing. All it needs is a clean out.(i think that is how I understood it)

Hope this helps
MADFTO
Mechanic

Post by MADFTO »

I've had that issue before after installing a dodgey VTEC YO!!!!!/MIVEC Controller.

After removing it, it still had that problem, the only way I really got rid of it is to do a ECU reset by removing the Positive lead for 30 minutes or so.

I don't know how long you're supposed to leave the lead off *grins* it makes the computer reset to defaults so it'll re-learn or something like that.

Mind you, I have a manual, I don't know how that would affect INVECS or anything like that =P