buying a luxury car for 30k which one

From Ferrari's to Fiats, it happens in here.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

which car 30k

2001 Jaguar S-Type 4l v8
32%
BMW 328Ci Coupe 2.8 litre v6 i thinik
68%

Total votes: 19

alekazam
Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

buying a luxury car for 30k which one

Post by alekazam »

still keeping the fto.. I"m leaning towards the Jaguar as I like the overall look better I don't know much about BMW or Jaguar so eney advice would be appreciated

http://cars2.ebay.com.au/BMW-328Ci-Coup ... 0313026316
http://cars2.ebay.com.au/2001-Jaguar-S- ... 0379271011
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

jag = english = probs
BMW = Bring Mobile Workshop

seriously jag prob looks more luxery, bmw will be better all round performance but TBH neither do it for me, But it all comes down to what you like and want ;)

also pretty sure bmw is straight 6 :D
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI
martyjer
Apprentice

Post by martyjer »

Picked Jag, beemer might have a 2.8 engine but like the rest of them, for an engine that size no major power out of it. BMW I think is all about saying 'I have cash and know sweet FA about cars', (unless its M3 or M5) thats my personal opinion.
FTEvolution
Oldtimer

Post by FTEvolution »

A good friend of mine who works on Euros told me something when I was looking at that Merc, it apparently covers all Euros as well.

"If you can't afford to buy a new Euro, you can't afford to look after a second hand one"

Do your research first mate, simple things cost thousands to fix. Mercs for example need to have the ECU completely reset and tested if you let the battery go flat. f**k that 8)
[img]http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z285/ftevolution/ftevolution-1.jpg[/img]

Smooth and sleepy

All of lifes problems can be cured with a 6A13TT
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

ASton martin lol

Nah i agree with ftoevo but in saying that in australia the bmw arent as bad to service and maintain as in nz. I wouldnt even consider the jag. SO if your heart is set go the
BROKE MY WAY
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Out of those 2, Beamer.

I just don't trust Jags. Once had the catch phrase "British Engineering - Almost, but not quite."
yano
Mechanic

Post by yano »

I'm with bennoz and simon on this one. Jag has a pretty poor reliability record compared to the beemer. Bmw servicing is nowhere near as crazy as merc servicing. I have friends that own both cars. One owns a c200 kompresser and paid over 1500 for a normal service. Another owns a 323i and paid half of that. With the beemers, largest problem to worry about is from the traction control module failing. A rebuild would be around the 1k mark but thats of course if it happens. Another beemer to consider is the 330ci as well. More power (around 160ish kw's) with 0-100 being done around 6.3secs. Hope that helps
koolio1234
Oldtimer

Post by koolio1234 »

Im with bennoz, simon and yano on this one, stay away from jags for reasons already stated.

I'd go for a BMW E36 M3 - performance and luxury :)

Speaking from experience, I currently use a 3 series BMW (1993) as a daily driver and its surprisingly reliable. Although when I first bought it, it needed a good service and the radiator was leaking. Turns out the water reservoir bottle in the radiator had a crack and I replaced the bottle for a nasty some of $300, just for a little plastic bottle. 8O

The moral of the story is, find one that has been taken care of and regularly serviced and make sure you pay attention to it and it'll look after you for a long time. That being said, I've had the BM for over a year now and its still going strong.
[img]http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww104/thekrevolution/FTOFINALSIGNATUREcopy.png[/img]
alekazam
Mechanic

Post by alekazam »

I owned a mercedes before I bought the FTO it sucked! The service people were all rude, obnoxious snobbs... the cost always went up in $1000 increments no matter what it was.
Service isn't really that much of an issue as it will be a company car. But the boss is leaning toward a BMW, I was going to try and talk him into the Jag for the look of it and I like the V8 but I think I might just leave it at the Beamer, sounds like the safer choice.. I just wished they didn't look like Commodores. :)
Any suggestions on which Models to go for, or avoid? Top dollar being $35000?
Thanks for all your help!
koolio1234
Oldtimer

Post by koolio1234 »

alekazam wrote:I just wished they didn't look like Commodores. :)

Trust me, you want one of these m3's

http://www.carsales.com.au/used-cars/pr ... &trecs=140

Some of its specs:

DOHC with VVT
Cylinders 6
Valves per Cylinder 4
Compression Ratio 11.3
Power 236kW @ 7400rpm
Torque 350Nm @ 3250-3250rpm
Acceleration 0-100Km/h (secs) 5.5

236kw & RWD, yes please :twisted:

Just under budget :D

or if your after something newer get a 2004ish BMW 3 series.

Anything else wont fit under your budget. I fail to see any significant resemblance between BMW and commonwhores (unless your referring to the front grill, BMW has had that design for decades before GM/Holden stole it).

You cant tell me this doesn't' make your heart stop VVVVV

[img]http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww104/thekrevolution/FTOFINALSIGNATUREcopy.png[/img]
alekazam
Mechanic

Post by alekazam »

You cant tell me this doesn't' make your heart stop VVVVV

Image[/quote]

No, you're right about this one, she's beautiful.... but the ones in the price range I'm after certainly don't come near her.
yano
Mechanic

Post by yano »

alekazam wrote:I owned a mercedes before I bought the FTO it sucked! The service people were all rude, obnoxious snobbs... the cost always went up in $1000 increments no matter what it was.
Service isn't really that much of an issue as it will be a company car. But the boss is leaning toward a BMW, I was going to try and talk him into the Jag for the look of it and I like the V8 but I think I might just leave it at the Beamer, sounds like the safer choice.. I just wished they didn't look like Commodores. :)
330ci optioned with leather interior and m sport pack :D Or you could find a e36 m3
alekazam
Mechanic

Post by alekazam »

thanks I like the 330ci and it fits my budget so I think I''ll go with that thanks for the help everyone
koolio1234
Oldtimer

Post by koolio1234 »

yano28 wrote:
alekazam wrote:I owned a mercedes before I bought the FTO it sucked! The service people were all rude, obnoxious snobbs... the cost always went up in $1000 increments no matter what it was.
Or you could find a e36 m3
I suggested this earlier ^ ^ ^ would of been my first choice as I don't like the new shape m3's as much as the e36.
alekazam
Mechanic

Post by alekazam »

ok Im going to the car yard to check out this car
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 0300350509
is there anything I need to ask as I am noob at this and am I suppoes to haggle over the price or just hand over the dosh
yano
Mechanic

Post by yano »

In the words of wayne from wayne's world....'schwinggg'. Thats hot alekazam... M3 wheels that come with the m-sport package are hotter though. Get the car looked over by a mechanic. Racq are ok but you in addition to a mechanic get it taken to bmw who can check over the warning codes of the vehicle. Pretty sure it's free for a check over. Ask them to check over the traction control unit cos it's the weak link in the e46's and can be costly. Also take the car for a good prang and see if any warning lights come on. These car's have sensors everywhere and a good drive will bring up any immediate problems. Ask for full service history (these are a luxury car so if they don't come with one then it obviously wasn't cared for). Offer them 27,000 as well. It's an auto after all. Goodluck with the purchase mate ;)
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

go the BMW :twisted:
alekazam
Mechanic

Post by alekazam »

Wow Yano, you really know your stuff! Thanks for all that, I didn't get out there today but will take your list with me when I go tomorrow. I've already arranged for RACQ to look at it... but that BMW check over sounds the way to go! You've really given me the heads up, thanks heaps.
yano
Mechanic

Post by yano »

No problems buddy. If the traction control and abs lights come on, keep away from the car! I got told the error code check was free though but get the seller to take car of this anyways. I'm a big fan of these cars and almost bought a 323!
zuihoujueding
Oldtimer

Post by zuihoujueding »

Thats a nice ride! but if comfprt you are after, sell the rims and get something smaller.