Bennoz 6A13 Conversion

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Re: Bennoz 6A13 Conversion

Post by I8A4RE »

Hmmm, debatable. Probably not without getting a FPR at a minimum and even then, the benefits would be barely noticeable. They do look pretty though 8)
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
spency
Mechanic

Post by spency »

so you're saying, for N/A, it would be purely for e-dick-lengthening?
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

spency wrote:so you're saying, for N/A, it would be purely for e-dick-lengthening?
Well yes and no. Yes if it was the only mod but if was inconjunction with say a full fuel system upgrade then no, I think it would be worth it.
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

More needed for those that have aftermarket FPRs.
RichardB
Grease Monkey

Post by RichardB »

Bennoz wrote:Looky what I just found

$25 from the US plus postage. Its for a GTO, but Im pretty sure it'll fit. It it doesn't them I reckon it could be modified to fit... and at the end of the day, if it is useless, then I've only wasted 30 odd bucks. I spill more than that on a night out! :cheers:

http://www.3sx.com/store/comersus_viewI ... oduct=1164
That doesnt fit, I tried it, but I did use the fuel rail connectors to make my own with a bit of -6 fuel pipe

Last edited by RichardB on Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The World's fastest FTO - sub 9's checkout www.mitsubishi-fto.net to see the latest time.

Sponsored by : NR Autosport, RB Performance, PPG Gearboxes, IPG Parts, S1 Chiropractic
RichardB
Grease Monkey

Post by RichardB »

Bennoz wrote:These puppies arrived this morning. Fairly similar in fitment, just had to lever off the o-ring & the plastic locator from the tips of the new injectors & pop on the Mitsi locating seals from the old injectors. They also sit approx 2mm higher in shaft length, so had to pop a couple of washers around the rail spacers. Interestingly, they are 6 hole spray pattern (as opposed to the 4) & the tips sits slightly further into the lower manifold section.

Either way, these should give me the juice to match the pounds!

I also notice that link between the fuel rails... thats gotta be a massive restriction yeah? Did I read somewhere that someone had come up with an alternative? Might have to try fab something up there too, thats gotta be leaning out one bank..

What size are they, I'm running 540cc SARDS which are almost a perfect fit, and I have some 620cc ones for sale.
The World's fastest FTO - sub 9's checkout www.mitsubishi-fto.net to see the latest time.

Sponsored by : NR Autosport, RB Performance, PPG Gearboxes, IPG Parts, S1 Chiropractic
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Yeah I would cutting those pipes anyway, as long as the adapters work, I am happy. I will have fuel line split into two on the passenger side from the fuel filter to each side of the fuel rail, then exit from the fuel rail on both sides, Y connector down to one hose to the FPR. If that makes any sense at all.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

RichardB wrote:That doesnt fit, I tried it, but I did use the fuel rail connectors to make my own with a bit of -6 fuel pipe
How far out was it? Could the pipe be manipulated to fit or was it too short? Either way, I could do what you've done there.
RichardB wrote:What size are they, I'm running 540cc SARDS which are almost a perfect fit, and I have some 620cc ones for sale.
525cc
RichardB
Grease Monkey

Post by RichardB »

I8A4RE wrote:Yeah I would cutting those pipes anyway, as long as the adapters work, I am happy. I will have fuel line split into two on the passenger side from the fuel filter to each side of the fuel rail, then exit from the fuel rail on both sides, why connector down to one hose to the FPR. If that makes any sense at all.
Thats exactly how I do it now

RichardB
Grease Monkey

Post by RichardB »

Bennoz wrote:
RichardB wrote:That doesnt fit, I tried it, but I did use the fuel rail connectors to make my own with a bit of -6 fuel pipe
How far out was it? Could the pipe be manipulated to fit or was it too short? Either way, I could do what you've done there.
RichardB wrote:What size are they, I'm running 540cc SARDS which are almost a perfect fit, and I have some 620cc ones for sale.
525cc
I tried to manipulate them and they just pis*ed fuel out

Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

There's nothing you can't do with a buffing wheel on your bench grinder 8)

Polished up both the fuel rails & mounted the injectors. Will take some pics today of the wiring as I do it :)

Kustom
Oldtimer

Post by Kustom »

Looks good ben
Taz wrote:When funds allow
maddenitrous

Post by maddenitrous »

Hey Ben,
Just my FTO the other week and the legnum half cut is on its way :P , could you please give more info on modifying the wategate actuators or who can do it?, great job btw.
bduffman
Oldtimer

Post by bduffman »

Fuel rails look nice
I remember you saying some thing bout the intake manfold offf a 6a12 won't fit the 6a13 , by the looks ones round ones square but as there the same block would you be able to put the bottem part of it on ( part that connects to the engine , in the pic between the fuel lines ) im sure you could port the opening on the engine the same

Do you think this could be done or not ? If you could might be a ok upgrade for a 6a12 intake
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

bduffman wrote:Fuel rails look nice
I remember you saying some thing bout the intake manfold offf a 6a12 won't fit the 6a13 , by the looks ones round ones square but as there the same block would you be able to put the bottem part of it on ( part that connects to the engine , in the pic between the fuel lines ) im sure you could port the opening on the engine the same

Do you think this could be done or not ? If you could might be a ok upgrade for a 6a12 intake
No, can't be done. Have tried it.

That lower section has a substantially larger footprint that the FTO one. A good inch wider at the base. Furthermore, the upper section of the intake for the 6A13 is completely different to the FTO, not only in size but in design as well. Being a turbo motor, there are no intake runners & no air control valve in it like the FTO unit.

FYI Simon & Val, order has been placed for the fittings ;)
Being UPS express, we will probably see them before xmas.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

The final piece of the puzzle arrived today from Japan, the exhaust manifold gasket.

No boost leak ^^^ .............................................................. Massive boost leak ^^
All because the mating surface of the manifold was not flat.
Ran a straight edge over it today, distorted by heat when it was welded up :roll:

Wired up the injectors tails (well, took pictures of the rear 3 as I did them.)
Re-did all the insulation as per my grand plan :)

FTO_GPvR
Mechanic

Post by FTO_GPvR »

Nice work ben :thumleft: Awesome work with fixing up the wiring, Its looking very clean and tidy, top job :D

So is it back on the road now?
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Nah, most likely Saturday will take her for a test run. won't be able to go too far thou, with the new (larger) injectors, It'll be running uber rich.
Will need to limp it up to the garage Monday mornin' for a tune up :)
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

maddenitrous wrote:Hey Ben,
Just my FTO the other week and the legnum half cut is on its way :P , could you please give more info on modifying the wategate actuators or who can do it?, great job btw.
Well, first up I needed to get some stiffer sprung ones in so it could hold the boost (18 pound)
The other issue is, with the FTO clutch slave cylinder (being a push clutch as opposed to the Legnum style pull clutch) it gets in the way of the front turbo actuator.
So we had to weld up a small bracket & a longer actuator shaft to move it out of the way of the clutch slave. Can pop some piccies up if you like :)
FTO_GPvR
Mechanic

Post by FTO_GPvR »

Oh ok true. After the tune with the new bigger injectors and all the other work you done, do you reckon you would be over the 250KW mark?

Oh and that gasket is gone, did u replace the front exhaust manifold gasket to or just replace the rear?