can unleaded fuel be use?

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

thecook
Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by thecook »

does your car use up more petrol when its almost empty??

i always fill up $5-$20 everytime... never full!

how many days will one full tank last u?

for me, it'll last me exactly 1 week- which is about $45 a week!
elmo
Grease Monkey

filling up

Post by elmo »

You should keep your car as full as possible all the time. The airpocket in the top of a half empty tank will get filled with evaporating fuel overnight. The larger the airpocket the more fuel that can evaporate because there is more space. It's a pressure thing... so if the tank is full there is no room for the fuel to evaporate into.
MADFTO
Mechanic

Post by MADFTO »

Dude . . . that doesn't sound right.

Fuel tanks generally run sealed. That's why you get a whoosh of air when you open your fuel tank when you refuel.

Fuel might evaporate somewhat but only to the point when the air was saturated.

I'm not sure if the car would use more fuel when full, rather than empty but it shouldn't. The fuel regulator should keep the pressure across the rail evenly thus there shouldn't be any difference, only time it'd go leaner if the pump couldn't get enough fuel from the tank.
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

...do you notice when F1 cars run on full tank, their lap times are slower compared to 10-15 laps later? that's because they carry more weight due to the extra fuel, hence the car uses more fuel to burn in order produce enough power to carry the weight around at maximum speed.

mind you that's just an extreme example, but in principle that's the theory - more weight, more fuel used.
;)

OK, back to the topic!
thecook
Mechanic

Post by thecook »

im always on 1/4 tank of petrol

theres two reasons why, one is because i cant afford to fill it up full at one go, and second is i dont need that extra 20kg haha

i always fill up at least 2/3 full when i go drifting, for the high revs and cornering

when u corner, the petrol swooshes to one side, then the engine cant suck petrol, all it sucks is the air... n when that happens, u lose power...

hehehe- but u can get some fuel thingy installed, which acts as a fuel thingy inside the fuel tank... cant remember the name of the fuel thingy...
Quattro
Apprentice

Post by Quattro »

Hmmmm i think a fuel pump and surge tank would be good idea then. It maintains a constant supply of fuel to the engine despite fuel sloshing around in the tank. :)
:roll: