Daily Tiptronic driver

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

XXXFTO
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by XXXFTO »

Hi ellusion
When turning a corner you slow down, thus your revs drop also and the auto compensates for this by dropping a gear to keeps the revs hi enough.
If the INVECS II is in 4th gear and your speed goes under about 42km and 2000rpm then it will drop to 3rd gear. You can downshift a few seconds before you hit the corner to slow yourself down if you wont but i dont bother. I never down shift to slow down, only to overtake.
It is the same as if you were in a manual, u must downshift when slowing down or else you will stall, no one takes a decent corner in 4th in a manual. when you drop a gear it is also better for acceleration coming out of the corner.

All autos go up or down the gears when need you just cant tell as much because there are no lights on the dash to say which gear it is in (except for tip)
Same with going up a gear. 1st & 2nd can be used from a stand still. 3rd will not kick in until at least 25km maybe more and also 4th wont until about 42km.
G1
Mechanic

Post by G1 »

ellusion wrote:When turning a corner, the gear box automatically downshifts. How do I downshift then if the gear box is doing it itself??
that's what the manual mode is there for... you cant get decent acceleration out of a corner in 3rd if you ask me... im talking about the 4 speed tip.
ellusion
Grease Monkey

Post by ellusion »

Basically i should downshift before turning the corner right. This way, i'll be downshifting before the gear gets a chance to do it itself. Do you just let go of accel and then change gears or do you brake a little bit before downshifting??

I've only just got this car and not sure how to use it properly (the tip).
Sometimes when i wanna downshift from 3 to 2, i will pull the gear stick. However, since the gear box also downshifts i end up downshifting twice to gear 1 which jerks the whole car. Whats wrong?
XXXFTO
Apprentice

Post by XXXFTO »

The only advantage of downshifting before you hit the corner is to slow you down. I let it change down itself to so there is less stress on the auto.
If you dont let go of the accel before you drop down a gear then the car will not slow down, it will go a little faster. There is no point in dropping down a gear and breaking at the same time. You may as well just break normally and let it go to 3rd automatically (this will happen in tip mode)

If you have only just got the car then practice working up the gears before you start to religiously using it to down shift. I always have the car in tip mode but never down shift unless i over take (as i said before)
It is important not to drop to 1st at all as this will cause a lot of stress
Even manuals never drop to 1st
G1
Mechanic

Post by G1 »

actually you can drop down to first in a manual if you double-clutch... not that ive tried or want to try but its been done.
XXXFTO
Apprentice

Post by XXXFTO »

i didnt mean it was not possible G1 just not recommended
G1
Mechanic

Post by G1 »

damn what a quick reply :)

yeah i wasnt recommending it either... but just making the point that it is possible.

i used to drop down to first all the time in my tip, how are you gonna stop it from dropping into first where... say you are are going about 20-30kph, and you have it in D, if you kickdown on the accelerator (overtaking, or out of corners) guess what's gonna happen... i guess mitsubbishi should have programed INVECS II so that it doesnt do that on kickdown... what a shame...

say you have it in tip mode, and you wanna overtake someone in the same situation, are you gonna try that in 2nd gear? good luck.

ellusion, in terms of trying to get it to 2nd around a corner, just move to tip mode manually well before the turn, start braking... then drop it down from 4 to 3, then as you drop more speed, go from 3 to 2 just before you enter the turn. now you can complete your turn in 2nd without it going into 1st inadvertently.
XXXFTO
Apprentice

Post by XXXFTO »

hey G1, i have been known to occasionally drop to first when going 40 odd km, but if i wanna over take someone who is going about 80km, if i cant beat them in second them my bad luck.
but for just slowing down 1st is a real no no
G1
Mechanic

Post by G1 »

i agree that dropping to 1st to slow down is not only a no no, but quite impractical considering you have brakes to do that for you - but i dont think anyone was really gonna try that now were they :)

i dunno how you put up with turning corners in 3rd though... that would be too painful for me... :)
XXXFTO
Apprentice

Post by XXXFTO »

yeah 3rd gear is a bit slugish out of corners, but unless i need the speed i'll put up with it i guess
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

In my 5-speed tip, when I'm making a right-angle corner at the recommended 20-25km/h speed, the car stays in 3rd unless I downshift it in tip mode. It won't drop to 2nd and subsequently 1st until I come to a stop or close to it (up to 5 km/h).

So, once I brake enough to make the turn, I just downshift to 2nd and have enough revs to exit faster.
thecook
Mechanic

Post by thecook »

since when did tips come in 5 spd :twisted: :twisted:
G1
Mechanic

Post by G1 »

from 97 onwards
kazbah
National Secretary

Post by kazbah »

I'm agree with RXBOY, I change to 2nd when I'm turning right or left, basically I let the car change to 3rd under brakes, and as soon as the revs drop to around 2k its a very smooth change to second - ready for excelleration out of the corner. :D :D
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

Oragami wrote: Hey GPXXX...U r a ex-Swiny 2? When did u finished??? I always drop by @ Swinburne every now and then cos my current uni is in Toorak
yeah man, i finished TAFE there as well and then gaduated from Bach. Comp Sci back in '97 LOL... it sure has changed a lot since then! thank GOD it's all behind me now... :D

...which course were you from?
TheSentry
Grease Monkey

Post by TheSentry »

Alright here's one for ya. Picked up my GPX on Sat and now after giving tip a go I'm scared to downshift. :?

Not matter what speed I'm doing, or how many gears I go down I'm getting jolts thru the car (not a nice feeling I tell ya). BUT if I'm driving in normal auto it downs gears as smooth as silk.

Also, my tacho looks like it's from a manual. There are no bloody gear indicators on it!
D-TRAIN
Mechanic

Post by D-TRAIN »

TheSentry wrote:Alright here's one for ya. Picked up my GPX on Sat and now after giving tip a go I'm scared to downshift. :?

Not matter what speed I'm doing, or how many gears I go down I'm getting jolts thru the car (not a nice feeling I tell ya). BUT if I'm driving in normal auto it downs gears as smooth as silk.

Also, my tacho looks like it's from a manual. There are no bloody gear indicators on it!
Sounds like a good excuse to get a set of aftermarket ones mate! :wink:
MattG
Grease Monkey

Post by MattG »

Maybe he can't see the gear indicators becaue he HAS got some aftermarket dial faces?
Some of the aftermarket ones don't include any markings for the tiptronic gears - also there are two types, one for 4speed auto and one for 5 speed auto.

What colour are you dial faces?

M@
http://www.forensicdata.com.au
The Data Recovery Experts
D-TRAIN
Mechanic

Post by D-TRAIN »

Dang....one missed word can get you in trouble these days... :?

What I meant to say was:

Sounds like a good excuse to get a NEW set of aftermarket ones mate!
TheSentry
Grease Monkey

Post by TheSentry »

MattG wrote:What colour are you dial faces?
They're the standard black (or is it a dark grey?). Any way they look like the stock ones, cept for the fact that there r no gear indicators. The tacho covers most of the circle, just like the one on the manual. It doesn't fill 3/4s of it and have the gear indicators underneath that like the other tips I've seen. Very odd.