Top Speed of an FTO?

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

kiz
SA Coordinator
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Re: Top Speed of an FTO?

Post by kiz »

shadowarrior wrote: @Taz, I think the new sets come with the hangars. That's what it shows in the picture.
Nope, you only get the 2 headers, Y pipe, 2 bolts, 2 gaskets and a plastic bag for the lot :lol:

And yea they don't line up properly, so you have to go to a shop to get the hangers done and a hi flow cat if your heart desires it
There are two types of people on forums; those that give helpful advice, and the others

1998 Mitsubishi FTO GPVR AERO ;)
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

Daniel2019 wrote:A hi-flow cat will give negligible gains compared to a standard one.
^this.
Daniel2019 wrote:To bother, you would have to do a full exhaust setup and tune simultaneously.
To bother, no amount of power extracted from the 6A12 warrants a high flow.
Period.
For a high flow to be of any use you would want double the power.

Evos in factory guise don't even warrant the need for a high flow.

To quote one of my favourite films.
"The Juice isn't worth the squeeze."

Think we've done the exhaust bit to death.
There is plenty of threads about getting power meanwhile...
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

Astron_Boy wrote:To bother no amount of power extracted from the 6A12 warrants a high flow.
Period.
My point is that if you're running a full exhaust system and have a standard cat, the standard cat will be the most restrictive part of the exhaust. So what I mean is that if you have say a full 2.5inch setup with extractors, you're going to want a hi-flow cat rather than a standard one, otherwise there isn't much point. Does that make more sense? I don't think I worded it properly the first time.
I fix cars.
Bennoz wrote:I got Bali beli & sharted on my phone. But it was fun :D
bjk wrote:you old people are no help at all.
dstocks
National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

Daniel2019 wrote:
A hi-flow cat will give negligible gains compared to a standard one.

^this.
Daniel2019 wrote:
To bother, you would have to do a full exhaust setup and tune simultaneously.

To bother, no amount of power extracted from the 6A12 warrants a high flow.
Period.

Evos in factory guise don't even warrant the need for a high flow.

To quote one of my favourite films.
"The Juice isn't worth the squeeze."

Think we've done the exhaust bit to death.
There is plenty of threads about getting power meanwhile...
I dont agree. The exhaust system including the high flow cat I installed made a huge difference, but only in conjunction with the rest of the exhaust system. I got more gains from exhaust than any other mod other than the haltech.
Complete FTO (http://www.completefto.com.au/completefto.asp)
    If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
    Astron_Boy
    Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

I know what you said.
    My point however is the car simply does not output enough power to need it.
    Don't forget that you want a bit of back pressure.
    You shift the torque curve when you open up the exhaust, so suddenly you take longer to accelerate from the lights, but in the higher kphs the engine can breath a bit easier.

Not all restriction is bad!

I'm more focused on the high flow itself Dwayne, on a dyno the difference between the high flow and standard on the same system is negligible.

Anyway, I think i've drummed my point enough.
    Grain of salt, etc.
    dstocks
    National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

Let me take a slightly different tack then. Increasing the exhaust from 2.25 to 2.5 provides optimal power (I think I have these numbers right, otherwise its 2.5 to 2.75). If you dont change out the cat to one of a similar size to the rest of the piping, then you will certainly cause a bottleneck. You will need to swap out the stock cat anyway if you are aiming for optimal power so you may as well go hiflow anyway.

Cant argue with your logic though Dan. Dont have any figures to back up or disprove what you are saying.
    Complete FTO (http://www.completefto.com.au/completefto.asp)
      If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
      Bennoz
      National President

Post by Bennoz »

Can't believe we're covering these topics again. Is the search button busted? :lol:
      Astron_Boy
      Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

Bennoz wrote:Can't believe we're covering these topics again. Is the search button busted? :lol:
      Search for one of these threads and report back :lol:

Can't not keep going over this stuff, forums quiet otherwise, and we'd have to read the drama of the Queerslanders.
      Bennoz
      National President

Post by Bennoz »

Astron_Boy wrote:
      Bennoz wrote:Can't believe we're covering these topics again. Is the search button busted? :lol:
      Search for one of these threads and report back :lol:

Can't not keep going over this stuff, forums quiet otherwise, and we'd have to read the drama of the Queerslanders.
      Strange... I search for 2.5" and exhaust & it only brings up 35 full pages worth of results :scratch:

:lol:
      Astron_Boy
      Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

Definitely broken then.
      Sites almost 10 years old, I swear even in my 6 years I've done this more than 35 times.
      Bennoz
      National President

Post by Bennoz »

Astron_Boy wrote:Definitely broken then.
      Sites almost 10 years old, I swear even in my 6 years I've done this more than 35 times.

:D
      bjk
      Totes

Post by bjk »

The searches are not always exactly what you're looking for though, esp. when you're looking for content from the old site.