The Suspension Thread

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

spetz
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Re: The Suspension Thread

Post by spetz »

Thanks Bennoz, once again you have all the answers :)
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

I've pulled too many of these cars apart :oops:
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

Yes and have achieved God status for it ;)
At least amongst this community
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

spetz wrote:Yes and have achieved God status for it ;)
I dunno about being a god, but i give him credit for his FTO knowledge and patience to stick with his coke'n'hooker addiction through the good times and the bad
Bennoz wrote: Cum gunt it!
phi-tec
Veteran Mechanic

Post by phi-tec »

Taz wrote:
spetz wrote:Yes and have achieved God status for it ;)
I dunno about being a god, but i give him credit for his FTO knowledge and patience to stick with his coke'n'hooker addiction through the good times and the bad
id give him that status as god, well atleast a magician, he once made one of his fingers look like a lolly!
You have the right to remain silent, anything you do say will be quoted and used against you
Supplanter
Forum Moderator

Post by Supplanter »

phi-tec wrote:id give him that status as god, well atleast a magician, he once made one of his fingers look like a lolly!
LED ALL the things.
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

Guys I thought I read somewhere here about roll center adjusters but could not find anything.

Do they exist for the FTO?

EDIT:
Found this, any new news?
SG wrote: Unfortonatly the only ones for the front i've seen that fit an fto are from hardrace: http://hardrace.com/products.asp?strCla ... rClass3=30, and since they didnt respond to my email im guessing they only deal with companies or large worth while purchasees :scratch: Even though i asked how many would be worthwhile in the email. So it may only be companies... or "companies". Anyone know where else to get these?

Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Why not ask the Aussie Magna guys? Ours are the same as a TJ Magna.
SG
Veteran Mechanic

Post by SG »

They are the same as the old lancers too evo 1-3 and cc's... and old galants i think, but don't quote me on that one.

The latest i found out is that they're also the same as the eclipses in the US and they have been up to making custom ones.

They take off their control arms and weld in replacement ball joint holders and ball joints (larger ones) from a chrysler.

Using:
sleeve - http://www.colemanracing.com/Ball-Joint ... P4289.aspx
ball joint - http://pitstopusa.com/i-5069820-howe-pr ... gk772.html
longer stud +0.4 - http://pitstopusa.com/i-5069824-howe-re ... h-400.html
longer stuf +0.5 - http://pitstopusa.com/i-5072885-howe-re ... h-500.html

You can get it lookin pretty neat. And since its a larger ball joint they can handle the longer studs. Just gotta wrap something around the top of the ball joint to stop dust and dirt from getting in.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/road-co ... ter-4.html

Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

I've done some dodgy mods in my time, but welding up control arms is not one of them... :lol:
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

There is no way in hell I would even think of putting them on my car or even another car.
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

Thanks SG but I don't think I would feel comfortable doing something like that.
The other option is using Evo LCA + hub and getting a roll center adjuster for them but the price skyrockets for all the parts. It'd be good if you wanted to use the Brembo brakes as well.
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

aza013 wrote:There is no way in hell I would even think of putting them on my car or even another car.
^ wow.
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

If you were going to use something like this on a street car you would want to have an engineers certificate to go with them, otherwise you might find yourself in the poo if you ever had an accident, both with your insurance company and the 'authorities' lol!

For track use though, provided they were well engineered I wouldn't see any problem running something like this. TBH though there's a lot that can be done before resorting to cut and weld modifications.
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

Shane, I would assume if after cutting/welding the LCA was powder coated then it would not show that it was tampered with especially when not looking for it?

What could be done before resorting to cutting/welding?
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

spetz wrote:Shane, I would assume if after cutting/welding the LCA was powder coated then it would not show that it was tampered with especially when not looking for it?
That's all fine and good, but what I'm trying to point out is that if you have an accident and kill someone, and this was not an engineered modification, you could be found criminally liable for their death, certainly the insurance company won't cover you.
SG
Veteran Mechanic

Post by SG »

Maybe that was a bad picture... here's another one...

If you do a good job it'll hold. The point is they're 'weld in' ball joints meaning they're meant to be cut and welded in.. if not an old set then your own custom made ones..can't imagine they'd be a replacement item for the same ball joints. It'd be worse tryin to get it out...

Only recommended for racing i would say as shane said. You pay for your own insurance on race days, its usually included in the price. If they do check it for road worthyness after a crash (on the road) i'd say they'd approve of it but if the engineer's cert is the little thing that you need to be legally alright then maybe its best to have one of those aswell..
SG
Veteran Mechanic

Post by SG »

spetz wrote:What could be done before resorting to cutting/welding?
There are actual HardRace ones out there, they're in the lancer section 1993-1996 on hardrace.com. But they are a wholesale site and no one that i've found (havent looked for a while) retails those particular ones. Asked some guys ages ago but they never got back... there is a site 'buyhardrace.com' you could try them...
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

It may just be simpler to use Evo parts but it will be costly as it would need lower control arm, hub, brakes, and then the roll center kit itself.

buyhardrace.com doesn't even have a listing for Mitsubishi... kind of annoyed at the total lack of aftermarket for Mitsubishi vehicles other than the Evo.
Shane001
Oldtimer

Post by Shane001 »

SG wrote:You pay for your own insurance on race days
:lol: The only insurance you have on race days is your own hip pocket :lol: