Nvr2lows 6a13 conversATION WITH BEN ABOUT HIS CONVERSION

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Bennoz
National President
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by Bennoz »

You never have control of a project like this.

My budget has been blown to peices - thank god I bought a house in the mean time, Kevin Rudd is now paying for mine.

Im at around $15 grand & its still expected to rise.

Dont worry about it, just keep pushing on. The longer its there, the more time you have to earn more money to put into it.
FTEvolution
Oldtimer

Post by FTEvolution »

I agree Simon
Bennoz wrote:You never have control of a project like this.

My budget has been blown to peices - thank god I bought a house in the mean time, Kevin Rudd is now paying for mine.

Im at around $15 grand & its still expected to rise.

Dont worry about it, just keep pushing on. The longer its there, the more time you have to earn more money to put into it.
The problem I have seen with his conversion since I first saw it, was that the workshop never kept any detailed records (at least that nvr2low could see) of the hours spent. They can just fudge pack a number and he will have to pay if wants his car back :evil:

Not the situation I would want to be in IMO
[img]http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z285/ftevolution/ftevolution-1.jpg[/img]

Smooth and sleepy

All of lifes problems can be cured with a 6A13TT
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Seriuosly i wouldnt been have started a task like this if it was a open budget.

Both budgets and time frames should all be planned out before the project begins. I am well aware that both these can blow out but there still has to be some sort control.

If i was getting a shop to do this, i would have sat down with the person who was quoting the job and getting them to explain how they achieved their quote and what measures would be in place to achieve this and the time frame and i would have got that in writing. I mean FFS we are not talking about chump change here, 10k is a lot of money.

I dont mean to sound rude or anything but just handing over your keys and saying go for gold is just looking to be ass raped.
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

@Ben .. omfg.. If yours has crept up to 15k I would hate to see what Mitchell's has gone up to.. :|

@nvr2low - I feel for you man .. sounds like you'll have to sell a kidney or two to pay the bill when it comes time..

I wouldn't suggest to someone to try this without mechanical experience, or without being wiling to take their time over a few years, learning everything as they go.. 'tis the only way to make sure the budget doesn't get blown out of proportion..
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

You cannot possibly budget & timeframe this stuff guys & if you think you can, you'll be sorely mistaken when it starts. Its not possible. My initial budget was 6 grand and 3 months, its now 15 grand and 12 months.

History tells us the same thing, Danny & Jeffs thread is testament to that.
nvr2low
Oldtimer

Post by nvr2low »

haha mine wont be that much as i havent done a lot of peformance stuff like ben has .

Eg; stand alone computer, doing work on the turbos.

my motor is mostly stock i just wanna have a nice sleeper not a road smoker.

i have to wait for my pod filter to get here for them to finish the intercooler piping.

yes ben you are so right mate the longer it goes the more money you can save. i just cant wait to get it back
FTEvolution
Oldtimer

Post by FTEvolution »

nvr2low wrote:my motor is mostly stock i just wanna have a nice sleeper not a road smoker.
Hate to say it brother, but you don't have a choice, these things are road smokers with a 6A13 whether you want it or not :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

You are gunna love it!
[img]http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z285/ftevolution/ftevolution-1.jpg[/img]

Smooth and sleepy

nvr2low
Oldtimer

Post by nvr2low »

yeah mate I can't wait everyday I don't have it back I want it bak even more.
Waitin for thermo fans then the car can all be put back togther. Oh yeah and that damn loom.
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

FTEvolution wrote:
nvr2low wrote:my motor is mostly stock i just wanna have a nice sleeper not a road smoker.
Hate to say it brother, but you don't have a choice, these things are road smokers with a 6A13 whether you want it or not :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

You are gunna love it!
+1
koolio1234
Oldtimer

Post by koolio1234 »

I guess it comes down to how much information their is on a specific conversion process. Its almost impossible to accurately determine timeframe/budget on a conversion process that is relatively uncommon and is poorly documented. Things are always bound to popoup especially to those with pioneering projects.

What Simon said was true as well. Its good to set up some sort of plan to control budget and time. After all, your paying big bucks and it could easily get out of hand if your not well prepared.
[img]http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww104/thekrevolution/FTOFINALSIGNATUREcopy.png[/img]
FTEvolution
Oldtimer

Post by FTEvolution »

koolio1234 wrote:I guess it comes down to how much information their is on a specific conversion process. Its almost impossible to accurately determine timeframe/budget on a conversion process that is relatively uncommon and is poorly documented. Things are always bound to popoup especially to those with pioneering projects.

What Simon said was true as well. Its good to set up some sort of plan to control budget and time. After all, your paying big bucks and it could easily get out of hand if your not well prepared.
I agree, but these have been done a few times. From what I have heard and from the builder of mine, a budget of no more than $9k including engine and all other necessary parts should cover it if you arew doing nothing yourself and not actually upgrading anything. That's NZD of course though...

No project should be undertaken without a plan unless you have NO budget. Your mechanics should always know that you expect weekly updates and a worklog kept. If it's not documented then you don't pay, they need to sign THAT off as a contract.

It's not like you are getting only a cam belt replaced and they end up doing water pump and pulleys too. These conversions COULD potentially run out to $15k + if you aren't careful...

Smooth and sleepy

nvr2low
Oldtimer

Post by nvr2low »

thermo fans are here just waiting on pod filter so the intercooler piping can be finished.

those thermo fans ben are damn tiny haha how did u mount them to your radiator mate please explain
Tippin
Oldtimer

Post by Tippin »

they usually come with little push type screws which you feed through the fan bracket, then through the radiator and u clip a small washer thing on the back till it catches. Same principle as a cable tie but no cable ;) Excuse my sh*t termonology lol

This is how i did it on my brothers car ...

what side are you putting the fans on?
nvr2low
Oldtimer

Post by nvr2low »

same side as standard mate they should fit they are pretty small i hope. they are the same as bens.
FTEvolution
Oldtimer

Post by FTEvolution »

nvr2low wrote:same side as standard mate they should fit they are pretty small i hope. they are the same as bens.
If they don't fit, just do em like mine (wire em round the other way though so they push air through instead of sucking)

Smooth and sleepy

Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

They come with little mounts that screw through the radiator. Will see if I can find a pic.
nvr2low
Oldtimer

Post by nvr2low »

ok sweet man thanks and well i will take them out to day and try and fit them and see how it goes.
nvr2low
Oldtimer

Post by nvr2low »

hey guys it is a miracle after 4 weeks of waiting my wiring loom is finally back. Looks like a good job to. Just waiting on the pod filter for the maf sensor from rpw been over a week. Then all the intercooler piping can be finished. Then should take them a week to finish the car. I am going to demand it gett finished
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

that is the last thing you want to do is push them as they will f**k things up and it will be back there in no time with more problems.
nvr2low
Oldtimer

Post by nvr2low »

no aza mate i dont mean rush i mean just spend a solid week on it and then it would be finish. these guys love doing some work on your car then leaving it and going to another car then not coming back to yours for like 4 days.