The Suspension Thread

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

mr-charisma
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by mr-charisma »

Gholdwayne wrote:ok sweet, ill go for whiteline / cusco..

because i care for this car and i want quality :P
true.. depends how you look at it though .. you could get the cheaper strut braces & then spend the money you saved on something else like upgrading brakes as well or something .. for the performance difference it makes between the cheapies & whiteline / cusco it might be the better option..
elusi0n
Grease Monkey

Post by elusi0n »

I just got my 28 Point safety check from Pedders and this is what i need:

Tie Rod Ends - Both Boots Torn

Sway Bar Bushes - Link Pins worn out Front & Back + D Bushes (Links)

C.V. Joints - CV Boots Torn Both sides

Bump Stops - Broken Back & Front

Found out Links were Drop Links, so all good now. Gonna get the parts from Camskill
AJ
Oldtimer

Post by AJ »

Bennoz wrote:Hey mate, my recommendation for a hot street setup would be the following:

Shocks - 4 x KYB Gas
Part numbers; Front L: 334154 Front R: 334155 Rears: 341140
Approx $440

Ok, front bushes are as follows, I would replace all 3 types with the below listed Superflex polyurethane type:

SPF1160 Front Control Arm - Inner Front Bushing

Very common for it to go - stock unit is a one peice rubber unit with steel sleeve. Is replaced by 2 of the part numbers mentioned above with new sleeve.

SPF1500 Front Control Arm Lower - Rear Bushing

If front control arm bushes are done - this one must be done using the same density material. Available in both stock size & positive castor type. The superflex type only give 0.5 degrees positive castor. Where as the Whiteline ones give 1.0 degrees. Part number KCA317A

Note - you will have to get these done at a workshop as the factory rubbers are press fit & you need a 10 tonne press to get them off, so factor in some labour cost.

SPF1344 Front Sway Bar Mount To Chassis Bushing (16mm)

Places to Purchase:
Bursons Automotive - http://www.burson.com.au/allstores/Stor ... th%20Wales
Fulcrum - http://www.fulcrumsuspensions.com.au/superpro.html

Your crunchy noise is your front droplinks. Best (& cheapest) way to get them is through Camskill in the UK:
http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m3b0s10p151
Thanks to Aza and Craig I'm now torn between this set up and coilovers. Lets say I go with coilovers, do I still need all this stuff too (obviously excluding the KYB gas shocks). As I'm going to be buying the bits 1 or 2 at a time I thought I'd decide on coilovers or gas shocks at the end.
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

AJ wrote:
Bennoz wrote:Hey mate, my recommendation for a hot street setup would be the following:

Shocks - 4 x KYB Gas
Part numbers; Front L: 334154 Front R: 334155 Rears: 341140
Approx $440

Ok, front bushes are as follows, I would replace all 3 types with the below listed Superflex polyurethane type:

Very common for it to go - stock unit is a one peice rubber unit with steel sleeve. Is replaced by 2 of the part numbers mentioned above with new sleeve.

If front control arm bushes are done - this one must be done using the same density material. Available in both stock size & positive castor type. The superflex type only give 0.5 degrees positive castor. Where as the Whiteline ones give 1.0 degrees. Part number KCA317A

Note - you will have to get these done at a workshop as the factory rubbers are press fit & you need a 10 tonne press to get them off, so factor in some labour cost.

SPF1344 Front Sway Bar Mount To Chassis Bushing (16mm)

Places to Purchase:
Bursons Automotive - http://www.burson.com.au/allstores/Stor ... th%20Wales
Fulcrum - http://www.fulcrumsuspensions.com.au/superpro.html

Your crunchy noise is your front droplinks. Best (& cheapest) way to get them is through Camskill in the UK:
http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m3b0s10p151
Thanks to Aza and Craig I'm now torn between this set up and coilovers. Lets say I go with coilovers, do I still need all this stuff too (obviously excluding the KYB gas shocks). As I'm going to be buying the bits 1 or 2 at a time I thought I'd decide on coilovers or gas shocks at the end.
Yeah, the coilevers are a complete replacement for Shocks and springs .. so if you're gonna get them, you won't be needing the KYB struts or the aftermarket springs

Keep in mind that the starting price for the Tein coilover kit is about $1500 or more from memory ..you'd probably be looking at $2500-3000 for that setup, depending on if you do the labour yourself or not.
AJ
Oldtimer

Post by AJ »

But I would need all the other bits right? Drop links, bushes etc. And they'd still fit no matter which option I go?
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Yeah, you'd still need all the other bits. Coilovers have a tendancy to exaggerate the wear on normal bushes, so if your bushes are already on their way out, coilovers will make sure they wear out real quick.
Gholdwayne
Oldtimer

Post by Gholdwayne »

Hi guys, sorry for hijacking the topic, but it is a suspension thread after all,

My gpx has a stock height suspension(or at least it looks like it), its my daily driver, and im thinking of lowering the suspension, any recommendations on how low i should get it? and how much would this cost ?

cheers.
97 GPX Icelle Blue

I cant stop driving her!
...and when im not, im looking at her!
... ...and when im not, im freakin thinking about her!

FTO[For The Orgasm]
like For The Win!, but more hardcore...
AJ
Oldtimer

Post by AJ »

Bennoz wrote:As promised, here this weeks suspension tweak :)

Am going to try what has been previously unavailable for the FTO - Upgraded front droplinks. The rears are available as a standard Whiteline upgrade, but the fronts have not been previously. You need 2 sets of parts to make it work (pictured), so I'll be testing them tomorrow.

Like a few of you, I run the 18mm adjustable Whiteline swaybar up front & compared to the standard sway, it tends to wear out the front droplinks at a much quicker rate than the norm. The ball joints on the stock units turn to jelly after a few months. Hopefully this will alleviate the issue :)

As opposed to the standard units:

With a standard set of droplinks costing around $120 (landed in Aus from Camskill - the cheapest available) I reckon this $197 pack is well worthwhile. If this works, Whiteline will add it to their FTO parts listing.

Oh and if you wanna see them tested, I'll be at Wakefield on Thursday :)
Hey Ben, you said for me to get the ones from camskill, are they much different from these in the end?
Also, would my sway bars need looking at/replacing/upgrading at all?
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

I've gone back to the standard droplinks as the links on those whiteline ones are rubbish. I just order them in from Camskill (ones in the bottom picture.)

Your swaybar is not something that 'wears out' as such. Its just a peice of spring steel, on rare occasions I've seen them snap, but thats about it.

Having said that, beefing up the front swaybar would help handling substantially. You'd go for the BMF44Z 18mm swaybar from Whiteline. Comes with all bushes & mounting points, only thing it doesn't come with is the droplinks.
AJ
Oldtimer

Post by AJ »

OK, thanks for that Ben. So, he's what I'm going to get for now...
SPF1344 Front Sway Bar Mount to chassis bushing (16mm)
All from either Bursons or Fulcrum

Front droplinks from Camskill

So it doesn't matter if I get all this before deciding to get either the KYB's or coilovers right? I still need this stuff no matter which way I go? If I get Tein top mounts, can they be used with the KYB's? What's best reasonable coilovers?

Cheers!
Jamie
Grease Monkey

Post by Jamie »

I have a question for any suspension gurus out there and thought this was good as any place to ask. In regards to the front strut braces where the bar bolts on to the bracket that sits on the strut towers...should this bolt be done up tight enough so the bar has no movement in it at all or should the bar be able to pivot to load up the inside strut durring cornering.

The reasson I ask is the last time I had suspension and steering adjusted I noticed later on that the bolts had been loosened off. Any sugestions?
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

Jamie wrote:I have a question for any suspension gurus out there and thought this was good as any place to ask. In regards to the front strut braces where the bar bolts on to the bracket that sits on the strut towers...should this bolt be done up tight enough so the bar has no movement in it at all or should the bar be able to pivot to load up the inside strut durring cornering.

The reasson I ask is the last time I had suspension and steering adjusted I noticed later on that the bolts had been loosened off. Any sugestions?
top of the strut tower nuts should be tight mate
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI
Jamie
Grease Monkey

Post by Jamie »

vipfto wrote:
Jamie wrote:I have a question for any suspension gurus out there and thought this was good as any place to ask. In regards to the front strut braces where the bar bolts on to the bracket that sits on the strut towers...should this bolt be done up tight enough so the bar has no movement in it at all or should the bar be able to pivot to load up the inside strut durring cornering.

I think you have misunderstood me. I prob wasnt clear enough. The nut and bolt that I am refering to is the one that joins the bar to the bracket that sits on top of the strut tower. If this isnt clear enough I may have to post up a pic.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

AJ wrote:OK, thanks for that Ben. So, he's what I'm going to get for now...

So it doesn't matter if I get all this before deciding to get either the KYB's or coilovers right? I still need this stuff no matter which way I go? If I get Tein top mounts, can they be used with the KYB's? What's best reasonable coilovers?

Cheers!
Perfect mate :) Yeah, all of that can be done before or after changing shocks, you should still do it. Tein top mounts can be used on KYBs, I had that setup for a while.

Best coilovers for cash, unsure... G4s D2s? Some other guys with them could probably comment better than I could.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Jamie wrote:
vipfto wrote:

I think you have misunderstood me. I prob wasnt clear enough. The nut and bolt that I am refering to is the one that joins the bar to the bracket that sits on top of the strut tower. If this isnt clear enough I may have to post up a pic.
Should still be tight. A properly fitted brace should be in 'tension' between the 2 towers - ie wound tight in an inwards direction.
zuihoujueding
Oldtimer

Post by zuihoujueding »

strut bars are meant to reduce chassis flexing. That means the bolts have to be tight.
AJ
Oldtimer

Post by AJ »

Bennoz wrote:
AJ wrote:OK, thanks for that Ben. So, he's what I'm going to get for now...

Cheers!
Perfect mate :) Yeah, all of that can be done before or after changing shocks, you should still do it. Tein top mounts can be used on KYBs, I had that setup for a while.

Best coilovers for cash, unsure... G4s D2s? Some other guys with them could probably comment better than I could.
Cool. Cheers Ben. Drop links have been ordered.

* Update, drop links have arrived. What do I order now.? If I order from fulcrum, I have to do it online right, 'cos they are not in NSW. Or should I just go to a Burson store? There website is a bit crap. Cheers.
nvr2low
Oldtimer

Post by nvr2low »

hey i may be stupid i been looking everywere through here.
i cant find what the part number are for the anti roll bar bushes are or is that he sway bar to chassis bushes. i need a answer asap please
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

they the same
Anti Roll Bar (ARB) = Sway bar
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI
nvr2low
Oldtimer

Post by nvr2low »

ok thanks a lot man so i just get the sway bar chassis bushes kool