Post by hnm738 »

say if i pored $40 of unleaded fuel and $40 of premium

which will i go further ks?
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

hnm738 wrote:say if i pored $40 of unleaded fuel and $40 of premium

which will i go further ks?
PULP definitely... and you will notice that the car will drive slightly smoother (more clean power). In fact I have averaged about an extra 60-80kms on Optimax, and the car runs beautifully...
elmo
Grease Monkey

fuel

Post by elmo »

M@ methanol is used in Methanol fueled cars. If you wanna boost octane of fuel add ethanol. I know for a fact this is what a lot of serious drivers do to get the most from it. I know it stops pinging in high boost turbo motors and is a sh*t load cheaper than any other additive or octane booster, thats why the fuel companies use it to cut the fuel.

f**k cant get it to work....
What GPXXX said isn't entirely correct, or could be misinterpreted.
Tank for tank PULP will go 60 k further, but this isn't the same as $40 of ULP v $40 of PULP. It will cost the extra 3 or 4 dollars to get the same literage to do that.
Maybe thats even more confusing....
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

suffice to say that 1L of PULP will get more kms than 1L of ULP but will be approx 8-10 cents dearer
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

rxboy wrote:suffice to say that 1L of PULP will get more kms than 1L of ULP but will be approx 8-10 cents dearer
...much cheaper now with the Coles/Shell 4c per litre discounts hehehe! :)
thecook
Mechanic

Post by thecook »

my fto's been hooked on optimax ever since its arrival
i tried unleaded for 2 weeks (povo week)
and it felt like the car was goin to break down!
i then changed back to optimax and the car ran smoother and sounded much better.....

why not spend your money on something much healthier for the car- optimax, it might be a few dollars more, but its sure worth it!
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

Mobil has lost another customer - me! The closest Mobil to me was converted to a cheapo United, so now it's Shell all the way, especially now that they offer 4c off. Pity I don't shop at Coles 8O
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

rxboy wrote:Mobil has lost another customer - me! The closest Mobil to me was converted to a cheapo United, so now it's Shell all the way, especially now that they offer 4c off. Pity I don't shop at Coles 8O
...all the reason why you should shop there from now on ey? ;)
EyezOnMei
Apprentice

Post by EyezOnMei »

Actually, everyone should try to get a job with Shell, since everyone on the Shell payroll gets 25% off all their fuel... And this is after the 4c per litre discount / any other discount they use of course.
Dunno if this is true for the petrol servos as well, but I assume so, I only know this cos currently working for IT projects division at Shell.
I'm not eligible because I get paid via uni rather than them, though I'm trying to negotiate that I be put on their payroll, purely just so I can claim 25% off =P
If I did this, I'd have no qualms running a turbo and revving WAY up high for fun hahahaha.
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

EyezOnMei wrote:Actually, everyone should try to get a job with Shell, since everyone on the Shell payroll gets 25% off all their fuel... And this is after the 4c per litre discount / any other discount they use of course.
Dunno if this is true for the petrol servos as well, but I assume so, I only know this cos currently working for IT projects division at Shell.
I'm not eligible because I get paid via uni rather than them, though I'm trying to negotiate that I be put on their payroll, purely just so I can claim 25% off =P
dude, if you do successfully get into Shell's payroll, can i be your best friend?? :D:D
hnm738
Grease Monkey

Post by hnm738 »

i tried optimax today after driving with unleaded

and i think im gona stick to optimax my exhaust sounds much better lower and deeper and it has more go power

duno bout the ks yet
elmo
Grease Monkey

k's

Post by elmo »

Just dont let your right foot get too carried away with the extra performance and burn those extra K's. The comparisson only works with a slightly more agressive driving style. You will be pleasantly surprised
G1
Mechanic

Post by G1 »

this 4c discount thing is a melbourne only thing right?
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

Dunno. I live in Melbourne and we've had it here for the last 2-3 weeks. Since I don't travel interstate, I'm not sure if this offer exists anywhere else.
Adriano
Grease Monkey

Post by Adriano »

from what the shell servo guy told me, it is a melbourne thing for now... he said that shell's head office is in melbourne thats why they have it first... sydney's gonna have the deal later on.....
XXXFTO
Apprentice

Post by XXXFTO »

I always use optimax and i get 500km's a tank at least out of my GPX if i drive like a granny, if i thrash i get about 400. I put regular in my car the other day cause i was in some hick town and couldnt get anything decent. I didnt take not of the fuel consumption but i think it was ok, but i really did notice the power difference. a little less balls when the mivec kicks in. I havent had a full service yet as i've only had it for 3 months
G1
Mechanic

Post by G1 »

i think its worthwhile to carry some octane booster in your car for such occasions when you cant get decent PULP

not that i do, coz i dont have trouble finding optimax where ever i go...
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

Just did an approximation of ACTUAL fuel cost efficiency and found out that:
ULP costs me about 17 cents per km
Synergy 8000 costs me about 15 cents per km

Just filled up on Optimax yesterday and will do same calculation.

I also calculated (based on my fuel consumption) that Synergy 8000 would have to be 40% or more expensive than ULP before it becomes less cost effective. This does not take into account performance or the fact that premium fuels are better for the car in general.
KillaFlop
Apprentice

Post by KillaFlop »

I just finished a full tank of optimax and 2 b honest i haven't seen any difference. I got 500k's before the light went off which is close to what i get with BP Ultimate... I always drive in tip n drive pretty easy so duno...
I was loyal to Optimax but now i go out of my way to get to a BP coz 'ultimate' sounds so cool, and it's 98 RON... and bloody expensive :roll:

Any other loyal BP ppl out there???