Gear sound effect on fto???

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

EURO
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by EURO »

No offence guys, but your kiding urselves if u think an FTO GPX or any other version can beat a GTST, GTR, or WRX - when both drivers KNOW THEY ARE MEANT TO BE HAVING A DRAG! IF you put a driver of the same skill in both cars the FTO will get beaten! I have an FTO and love it, but they are not the quickest cars.... I have beaten my mates skyline off the mark purely because of the tread on me tyres but the stats show a GTST is 0-100 in 6.1, a GTR in 5.5 (or less), a WRX is 5.9 and a FTO is 7.4-7.6!
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

i think they're referring to stock R32 GTS-Ts, Dave... they clock high 6s for the 0-100 (160kw/263Nm/1290kg) but yeah if you look at it from face value, beating a turbo GTS-T (most of which are mildly modified anyway) with an FTO is a bit suss isn't it?

...however if you are talking about atmo GTSs (not GTS-T) however, then that's a different story!
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

I dont give a sh*t about stats, because the carcompaines produce them, and can not judgethe speed between 2 cars which are over 5 years old.
I have beaten only one gts-t I know it was a turbo not a fake, and he did have poor tyres, but even when i waitedfor traction and we both went for it he didnt have chance, also i dont think driver skill has anything to do with rolling starts because there is only one thing u can do with your right foot and thats stamp on the gas.
I have raced an s15 and beaten that through 1st and 2nd gear, but he had troubles with 3rd gear.
Though i have raced many s14s which im pretty sure contain the same engine and they do not have anything, even modified ones with intercoolers exaust and bovs.
a lot of people say FTOs are sooo slow, and I have heard it on the street from so many people, and i dont know where these rumours come, if its porteyd from them playing granturismo or because they mean the gs model. But our cars are very respectable off the mark and would beat a lot of cars on the road considering that they are edging on 10 years old. Anotherreason why i think people think our cars are slow, is because they are compared to supra tt's, which they are when considered to such a car, but when you compare ito a supra n/a they are quick ( i have beaten 2 of them.
One last point is although people look at the stats on the internet of each car, but when buying a sports car from japan, it could be modded excesvily or completly stock so internet comparisons are very inacturate when it comes to street racing
D3MON

Post by D3MON »

I agree with GAV.. stats are nothing.. even with the same car you can get stats which are 1 sec different during different tests.. most probably due to the different conditions and driver and maybe even car used during the times were recorded.

Anyways.. i believe FTOs can beat skyline GTSTs.. skylines arent half as fast as most people imagine them to be.. as i said before.. some are fast and some are slower.. im not saying a FTO can beat all skyline GTSTs out there.. but its not impossible to beat one.. and im sure the one i dragged was trying and knew we were racing cos it was a 3 lane road and there was also a Z in the other lane.. and even if the skyline wasnt planning on dragging me.. he was definitely trying to beat the Z..
G1
Mechanic

Post by G1 »

i cant beat my friends gtst, but i think gav can give him a good run...
unfortunately not all FTOs are made equal :(

we'll see after i fit LSD, extractors and FPR
EURO
Oldtimer

Post by EURO »

yes stats are taken from the manafacturer and also taken from numerous car magazines that test the cars...thats why you often read wheels saying "subarbu claimed the car could run 5.5" but in our test model we only ran 5.7.... On all "qualified" Fto reviews i have read similar figures of 7.4 - 7.6 to 100.
Sure on a 10 yr old car, you are going to have differences, some cars wont be running efficiently, ive had mates cars with v8's etc and when on the dyno they were only running on 6-7 cyclinders etc. So for that reason a FTO may beat a skyline etc.
All im saying is that a "stock" skyline, supra turbo, wrx, 200sx etc that is running efficiently will beat a stock fto GPX that is running efficiently. They have a higher KW output, more torque and a higher power to weight ratio. And like all fast cars they are either rear wheel or 4wd drive.

Yes the FTO is a fast car for its year - and i love them! its close to the best front wheel drive car and believe me im not dissing the vehicle!

In terms of driver skill, of course its important.... Rolling or stationary start...how can you say it isnt?? espcecially in an FTO..... If you have on e guy in an FTO who is changing gears and letting revs drop under 5,500 and the other driver is maintaining the revs in MIVEC range then who do you think will win???? and its exaclty the same when racing another car... lots of skylines have the power to spin the wheels in 2nd and 3rd so if they do that when racing theyll lose speed.

Anyway, not meaning to cause beef, i just know when driving around people try and take me on, and claim they have beaten me when i wasnt even attempting to drag...
so im just going on what i know about teh cars i have seen, the cars i have driven and what the professionals say...
I DO LOVE MY FTO THOUGH!
Hez
Grease Monkey

Post by Hez »

Whats all dis arguing about? everyone has a different view on cars, and all dat counts is can YOUR fto beat a skyline, wrx? if so dats great :D if not dats cool too.
I've driven R33 gts-t, s14, gt-turbo, mr2, tt soarer, and own an fto. I must say(my opinion) the r33 was disappointing, s14 about the same as the fto. Gt and soarer was a bit off. And suprising mr2 was pretty quick. They where pretty much all stock. If i had to drag'em all i would say my FTO would win. :twisted:
Chiangstar
Grease Monkey

Post by Chiangstar »

EURO you make an interesting point when you say:

"people try and take me on, and claim they have beaten me when i wasnt even attempting to drag... "

i was thinking about why people think FTO's are slow and i came up with the idea that maybe cos FTO engines are loud and rev heaps (even during normal driving) that people think youre racing when in fact youre not....
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

yeah you are correct in thinking that, i mean when you are taking of normally you rev much higher then any other car, because our gears are designed to take advantage of the higher revs. but i mean if pull up at a set of lights, i dont care its a grannie next to me in an old 85corrola, I still hammer it off the lights, who can resist when u got 8000 rpms to climb up to and u can get there in less then 3 seconds ! but i guess thats just me (oh and kaveman) :P