Justice of the Peace?

Anything off topic that you want to share with the group. (warning this board may include coarse language)

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Taz
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Re: Justice of the Peace?

Post by Taz »

I just always assumed it would carry a few more options over that of just a permanent residence, with the only real downside being having to vote.
Bennoz wrote: Cum gunt it!
shadowarrior
Tightarse

Post by shadowarrior »

Taz wrote:
shadowarrior wrote:
Taz wrote:So i only need any old citizen who has known me for more than a year to sign it? Or does it HAVE to be a JP/police officer/doctor etc? That sucks ass, means im gonna have to go out within a few weeks and get someone like that who can start 'knowing' me for a year :lol:
Has to be a citizen who knows you for a year or more plus belongs to one of the listed profession: http://www.citizenship.gov.au/applying/ ... ions_list/
Time for you to start visiting your local cop shop every week and have a coffee with them. If anybody there questions you, just tell them the citizenship requirements ask you to be friends with a cop :D

Here's the link for you to apply for citizenship. The Identity Declaration is a part of the 1300T form which you need to submit :P
http://www.citizenship.gov.au/applying/how_to_apply/nz/

Ive been here for more than 7 years, which (again from my knowledge) automatically makes me a permanent residence, so id only need apply for citizenship.
It will i guess be worth it, however its paying what ive heard to be several thousand dollars to undertake a sh*tty test most citizens would fail if they took it :x

AFAIK you have to apply to be a PR unless you were in Australia on the 26th of April 2001.

As a New Zealand citizen your eligibility for Australian citizenship depends on whether you arrived in Australia before or after 26 February 2001.
On arrival in Australia, most New Zealanders are automatically granted a Special Category Visa (SCV). This visa allows the holder to remain and work in Australian indefinitely. Up to 26 February 2001 the holders of SCVs were eligible to apply for citizenship.
On 26 February 2001, the Australian Government announced that New Zealand citizens are required to apply for and be granted permanent residence in Australia if they wish to access certain social security payments, obtain Australian citizenship or sponsor their family members for permanent residence.

from http://www.citizenship.gov.au/applying/how_to_apply/nz/

The test/application costs $260. I could have bought so much stuff for the car with that money! :|

@Phil, nope. not here in GC...and ages back in Melb :| I did accompany my Mrs once to her GP here, so trying that option this Sunday..
PHIL069
Oldtimer

Post by PHIL069 »

When I came to Aus in 1969 there wasn't even a VISA :D I get any SS payments, but they hate it when I apply as I have no proof and they just give it to me :lol:
mikeey01nzl wrote:Hats off to you too Phil for spending so much time on the phone trying to help someone out, your a top man and only a few would've spent so much time. well done! :salut:
Daniel2019 wrote:Come on phil, we bonded at the bonfire, lets be honest here...me and phil are besties now... :lol:
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

Hmm just read a few other pages, and im not sure whether or not my parents paid for and filled out appropriate forms when we moved over here. If not my partner is a citizen so i can get PR through her?
Bennoz wrote: Cum gunt it!
shadowarrior
Tightarse

Post by shadowarrior »

Taz wrote:Hmm just read a few other pages, and im not sure whether or not my parents paid for and filled out appropriate forms when we moved over here. If not my partner is a citizen so i can get PR through her?
Yep. If you don't have a PR yet, you can apply to get on a temporary/permanent spouse visa. The permanent one= PR, which then qualifies you for citizenship.
Supplanter
Forum Moderator

Post by Supplanter »

My fiancee is currently applying for her citizenship. She had to become a PR first (we applied as a defacto relationship), although there may be less restrictions if you are from the UK or NZ.
LED ALL the things.
Technikhaus
Oldtimer

Post by Technikhaus »

I moved to Aus in 1998 i think, but have moved back...
Would I still get PR if I moved back?

A couple of years back when I was still living there, we needed new Passports, and for that the docs had to be sighted, we went to the Sargent who live a few doors down from us, and had seen once or twice in the last year, and he did it for us :lol:
Man '96 FTO GPX
Man '89 Legacy RS Rally car
Man '90 MR2 GT
Auto '08 Fairmont Ghia