fto awd?? vr4 Legnum

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Storm
Veteran Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Re: fto awd?? vr4 Legnum

Post by Storm »

Taz,

my timeline was to put the rear floor in, enough for the diff hanger and tank as previously noted, attach a diff but not connect it as yet, and add in EVO 3 trailing arms. Thats as far as you need to go to get the chassis ready for AWD.

Then I was going to get the 4G, box, etc.

But with the Scottish winters and the amount of salt around here I dont think my chassis will last that long so we're looking at something newer to play with.
Life is short - Have an affair
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

silverGPX wrote:Or....

Buy an evo?
Pffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft

^^ not a REAL fto enthusiast :cheeky:

Yea storm mine is going to be something similar, although im trying to decide whether or not just to do it all at once, and strip it there and turn it to track to save me hassles of trying to get it on the road for a few months, only to take it back off.
Half of this is because i wont have to fuss over the tank as i will run a cell in the boot, so theres one hurdle out of the way, i wonder if this could mean i can solely use a 4? or would it not cope with a diff and need the 3 still? i havent gone that far with measurements and research yet, just a thought.
Is it going to be much easier to just gut it and track it straight up? Im not sure on how similar the roadworthy compliance deal is to what i can get away with on the track, so if its going to be FAR less painful, i guess that makes my mind up, still in the process of getting my cams licence, and checking out the saturday sprints at lakeside.
I guess it will also mean i will hold off on the port n polished heads as ive found out its about 400 shipping from lima, and factor the 800 to buy them, the headers might just be ebough if the 4g is coming sooner than expected...
anyway, just rambling food for thought - what do you think storm?
Bennoz wrote: Cum gunt it!
Storm
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Storm »

Taz wrote:
silverGPX wrote:Or....

Buy an evo?
Pffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft

^^ not a REAL fto enthusiast :cheeky:

Yea storm mine is going to be something similar, although im trying to decide whether or not just to do it all at once, and strip it there and turn it to track to save me hassles of trying to get it on the road for a few months, only to take it back off.
Half of this is because i wont have to fuss over the tank as i will run a cell in the boot, so theres one hurdle out of the way, i wonder if this could mean i can solely use a 4? or would it not cope with a diff and need the 3 still? i havent gone that far with measurements and research yet, just a thought.
Is it going to be much easier to just gut it and track it straight up? Im not sure on how similar the roadworthy compliance deal is to what i can get away with on the track, so if its going to be FAR less painful, i guess that makes my mind up, still in the process of getting my cams licence, and checking out the saturday sprints at lakeside.
I guess it will also mean i will hold off on the port n polished heads as ive found out its about 400 shipping from lima, and factor the 800 to buy them, the headers might just be ebough if the 4g is coming sooner than expected...
anyway, just rambling food for thought - what do you think storm?
The reason I was going for the floor off a 3 was that we use basically the same suspension set up, dog bones, lower arms and even the trailing arm is basically the same but with the hole for a drive shaft in it. The floor is also very similar. That meant when me and my welder looked into it, that seemed the easiest option - cut out the bit that the diff hangs on and weld it into the FTO - jobs a good 'un!

The whole suspension set up on a 4 is different which brings in a whole load of alignment issues and would mean welding in a load more floor. The roadster under construction here in the UK welded in the whole floor from an EVO 4, which meant it has taken him years to do. Brian reckoned that he could have he car road worthy with our plan in a couple of days max, because it was using such a similar set up.

I reckon you could do it without even having the diff in your possession and keep the full FTO suspension set up, although you would need the diff hanger as the lower suspension arm fits onto it rather than direct to the chassis as it does on an FTO. That way you could phase the work so you do the body work first, then the mechanical stuff as your cash flow comes on stream. (So long as your missus doesn't walk out of her job!)

Bill
Life is short - Have an affair
fto-007
Grease Monkey

Post by fto-007 »

Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

Whatever is going to be easier and less painful, so if its going to be an evo 3 floor, so be it.
Storm wrote:(So long as your missus doesn't walk out of her job!)
Haha, havent had a missus in a while, just dont have the money or the patience :lol: one money sink is enough for me!
fto-007
Grease Monkey

Post by fto-007 »

Taz wrote:Whatever is going to be easier and less painful, so if its going to be an evo 3 floor, so be it.
Storm wrote:(So long as your missus doesn't walk out of her job!)
Haha, havent had a missus in a while, just dont have the money or the patience :lol: one money sink is enough for me!
looks like you havent done too much home work into it :lol:
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

Not on the floor pan side no, mostly motor related in regards to clearances/brackets etc, havent touched the drivetrain yet