manual transmission

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

MADFTO
Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by MADFTO »

If you rev it out all the way to 8000rpm, the shift point for second gear is around 5500 from memory, that's with clutchless shifting (You should be travelling around 60kph). I haven't done it in a while as my car is in the shop and I haven't driven it for a few weeks.

As far as I know the gear ratios for the GPX and GPvR are the same.

Speeds of the gears when changing at 8k rpm from my experience are:
1st: 60kph
2nd: 105-110kph
3rd: 145kph approx
4th: unknown, speed cut hit if I remember correctly =P

Mind you, I haven't done the later ones in a long time and my memory doesn't always serve me well =)
elmo
Grease Monkey

gears

Post by elmo »

Maybe I can shed some light on this...

You should only ever use first gear if you are completely stopped. If your car does it the box is gettin worn.

Redline change, stabbing the clutch about 1/4 in, you be on about 5500rpm but the mivec doesnt engage straigt away. If the car revs at this point it is clutch slip.

Clutch slip can be caused by a number of things, oil, worn disk, warped pressure plate, or just too much load for pressure plate to grip.

Ive notice on mine a slight slip when fangin through the changes. could be the factory clutch isn't strong enough but personally put it down to wear.

O2NV, sounds like your pressure plate is warped if it doesn't bight evenly.

That must be about five bucks worth...
G1
Mechanic

Post by G1 »

Perhaps you can drive mine and tell me, coz I could be just a bad driver i dunno! My car can go into first doing arouind 20kph, Ive gotta use more force than normal of course but i know I shouldnt do this... Ive just tried it and it went in a couple of times at that speed...

As for madfto's figures thats obviously for a 4 speed tip. when i had a 4 speed tip, i am sure i hit around the 120kph mark on 2nd and reached the speed limiter on 3rd. I do remember it shifting at 5500rpm... thats why i wanna achieve the same in my manual but im having to use a fair bit of force to push it into 2nd which slows me down... maybe thats normal and i just gotta flex some muscles and practice my timing so that the clutch doesnt slip.
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

elmo, it doesn't bite properly on the 1-2 shift only during cold mornings... however, after 5 mins of driving, the 1-2 shift is ok though'...

maybe all that launching technique i been trying to do has somehow f**ked up something inside??

...i don't see the logic of how it can bite like sh*t at first then work ok again after that....??

the rest of my sh*t from 2-3-4 is smooth as, but getting into 5th is a bit of a struggle sometimes, kinda like trying to change into 1st at 20kph.
MADFTO
Mechanic

Post by MADFTO »

*smiles* nah, my figures are from a 5speed manual =)

I've had almost 3 years daily driving experience in my car, and that's what I could get out of the gear box =)

I can't remember about the first gear thing, but I can remeber that the fastest that I've changed into first is around 25-30kph, but I haven't done anything like that in ages.

Second gear sufficent to pull you at around 30 kph (if I remember that around 3k rpm)

I haven't driven my car for a few weeks now (someone ran into the back on me =/) and the memory is starting to get a bit rusty =)