I JUST GOT THE 95 GPX

New to FTO's? Or Just new to this forum? Come introduce yourself, we dont bite.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

xSlurpee
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by xSlurpee »

vipfto wrote:
xSlurpee wrote:my tappet noise goes away after the engines starts for a minute ...
Thats normal just the oil getting through to the lifters from cold start ;)
OH i see ... spot on there vipfto. Only happens on very cold mornings with a lot of dew ... the engine would squeek (high pitch) and tappets would make noise for like 3 to 5 secs then go away.

I thought my belts are gone and needs replacing. Thanks mate
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

It occurs in cars of all makes subarus are another very common car to have this issue

What happens is the tappets actually wear down over time as the lobes from the cams continually make them move up and down etc so the tappets are slowely reduced so that they have more clearence and thus make the tic as they make contact. that is why they can be adjusted so you can reduce this clearance and eliminate the sound even though it dosent really do to much damage it can create issues if they wear down too far and its bloody annoying and embarrising hope that might kinda explain it 8O
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

xSlurpee wrote:
vipfto wrote:
xSlurpee wrote:my tappet noise goes away after the engines starts for a minute ...
Thats normal just the oil getting through to the lifters from cold start ;)
OH i see ... spot on there vipfto. Only happens on very cold mornings with a lot of dew ... the engine would squeek (high pitch) and tappets would make noise for like 3 to 5 secs then go away.

I thought my belts are gone and needs replacing. Thanks mate
The squeeking will be belts especially if damp try to tighten them or they may need replacing
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI
8u8813f1uff
Grease Monkey

Post by 8u8813f1uff »

since i dont mind the noise...ill get it fixed when it becomes an issue....how do i tell when it becomes an issue? lol...sorry for the stupid questions....and can any mechanic do it? or do u have to go to a specific mitsubishi mechanic?
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

Shouldnt be any real probs for you if you want to sound like diesel :lol: but any competent mech should be able to it as said before will only be around 300 mark as for where the mechs are others in your area may be able to help you
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI
8u8813f1uff
Grease Monkey

Post by 8u8813f1uff »

thats what i like to hear....no real prob done to my engine...^^

man...im so anxiious now...cause im waiting for my call from my fren telling me when his brother (a mechanic) is free to check out the car for me...cause after that...if all goes well...i pay a depsit and wait for a couple of days then i can driveeeeeee
zuihoujueding
Oldtimer

Post by zuihoujueding »

good luck to you mate. hope you find the right fto! everyone knows about the beauty of fto, but dont get blinded by its looks! if its not well mechnically, bite your lips and look for another one. 8)
8u8813f1uff
Grease Monkey

Post by 8u8813f1uff »

from what ive seen it looks great and sounds...reasonable? heres the ad for it

http://www.carpoint.com.au/used-car/MIT ... ?State=VIC

heres a really dumb question...i went for a test drive and when he turned the engine on its really loud....well at least from my perspective...cause my dad drives a toyota avalon ...its a 3L v6 i think? and this car is onli a 2L v6...and its a lot louder than my dads car....issit suppose to be that loud? or is it really loud cause the engine has been worn so much?
zuihoujueding
Oldtimer

Post by zuihoujueding »

its normal! theres no comparason as fto has a high revving engine. its the norm. fto is designed to make noise! :lol:
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

What sort of loud mate? other than those tappets.....
if it has pod and exhaust it will be loud but if not they are usually quite until mivec kicks in around 5000 rpm but yes it will be louder than the toyota smaller capacity 2L @6 cylinders will be louder than 3L@ 6cylinders

F1 cars prime example 3.5L V8 much louder than ford/holden supercar V8
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI
8u8813f1uff
Grease Monkey

Post by 8u8813f1uff »

mmmm loud as in ...lol ok sorry to be noob at explaining but like i said i dunno nehting about cars...so...its loud as in...when u turn it on...im assuming its at...1500 rpm? or watever i done really know cause with my dads car when you turn it on and u sit in the drivers seat you bare know the ening is on ...but the loudness is the equivalent of my dads avalon at 3000rpm cause thast the hardest ive ever kicked it....

since its a sports car...im assuming its meant to be that loud? i dont mind it...in fact i like my car to have a little oomph to it...done want a ninja stealth car -_-
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

thats ok mate you dont ask you dont know......
sounds about right but like i said difficult to know without hearing it but yes it will definatly be louder than the avalon ;) those things dont really rev to hard with a longer stroke than the fto so naturaly yours will louder :P
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI
8u8813f1uff
Grease Monkey

Post by 8u8813f1uff »

coool...thanks guys...will let you know if i get the car

thanks for all your help
zuihoujueding
Oldtimer

Post by zuihoujueding »

vipfto is such a nice bloke ya! haha. like a mentor
fto is deifnitely not a stealth car, its naturally louder than average cars.
8u8813f1uff
Grease Monkey

Post by 8u8813f1uff »

i know! everyone here is real nice :)

cause my friend is an 86 fan and he goes on this 86 forum all day and the stuff they talk about ...i read a couple of lines and question marks are jus floating on top of my head...so i assumed if i joined this club and asked stupid questions ppl will jus ignore me...but you guys are really helpful

hmmm i got in touch with my friends brother and he said he has to wait till saturday before he can get my car checked out...cause he works during the weekday...dammm i wish i could have my fto sooner :(
8u8813f1uff
Grease Monkey

Post by 8u8813f1uff »

hi sorry about asking another stupid question

but my friend is gonan charge me $100-150 to take a look at the car
what exactly does he need to do thats gonna cost so much?
cause from what he told me, hes not gonna bring any tools but jus take a look at the engine and take it for a spin...is that the normal price to get a mechanic to take a look at a car?
rock_it
Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

Yeah, Sydney Vehicle Check, or NRMA charge about that much too ...

But they do up a full report ... I would go with them instead of a "mate" if they are going to charge you ...
8u8813f1uff
Grease Monkey

Post by 8u8813f1uff »

does it take a long time to book with them and do i have to bring the car to them? because my mechanic is gonna check it on sunday...and i really dont think hes gonna give me a full report -_-

how much is it for a simple check and a full check?
JOeJOe
Oldtimer

Post by JOeJOe »

try state roads, they do a full check and they're cheaper then NRMA ...

http://www.stateroads.com.au
zuihoujueding
Oldtimer

Post by zuihoujueding »

erm...that sounds pretty unprofessional. inspect it without any tools? what can he do?