I8A4RE Turbo thread: Questions and Comments

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by I8A4RE »

eThix wrote:When do you expect this to all be finished by?
i constantly come and check for updates on this :P
lol, well i dont want to put a time frame on it cause everyone else that has, have jinxed themselves and its taken for ever to get finished :lol: . In saying that i dont want it to drag out. Next wednesday emanage goes into get installed and tuned so im looking forward to that :D . Tunner reckons i will notice a marked improvement just with that installed.
mr c wrote:budget is looking good so far ..
Do you have a list of everything else you'll need & the costs?
Yes i do but everyday im looking for better deals, better products, and just learning about turboing etc thats why im on here so often :lol:.

I have a personal goal of how much i want to spend but i wont post it for fear of ridicule and jinxing myself :lol: . When i first started this i was quoted a lot for pipe work, however i think i can do most of it myself with the help of my local exhuast shop. Now it looks like ECU install and tune will be the most expensive
i cant wait to see the damn thing finished, after seeing Sam several times stressing lol i thought people would learn from him haha. But we all know Sam just doesnt know what to do with his money haha.
Neither can i, i been dreaming about this since i brought my FTO, and its all i think about now. From the moment i wake till i fall asleep :lol:
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

I don't see why you can't do a lot of the piping work yourself.. I'd assume its just a matter of getting some straight bits and some bends & cutting to fit..
If you don't know how to weld, I'm sure you could do a lot of the cutting yourself, and maybe mock it into place held together with duct tape to get it how you want it.. & then take it into the exhaust shop to be welded properly..

I think if you manage to pull it off for under 10k with not too much major hassle or blowing up your engine it would persuade some others to go ahead with it .. even better if you manage it for under $6-8k
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Yeah thats what im hoping to do
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

I8A4RE wrote:Yeah thats what im hoping to do
aye, duct tape FTW :)
nosman
Grease Monkey

Post by nosman »

like guido hatzis said "mate a, there is nothing that shticky tape cannot fix" :lol:
yano
Mechanic

Post by yano »

Best of luck with this project mate. I've seen your car before and i.m.o. this will be the icing on your green cake.

One suggestion though, while you are only running low boost, it might be worth looking into getting a heat bag cover for your turbo. Normally can pick them up around $250 mark. Common place of mounting the turbo on fto's seems to be real close to the intake side of the engine so there'd be a lot of heat being generated around that area in your engine bay. Just a suggestion anyways

Also where abouts did you buy your g4 coil overs from for $1400???
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

yano28 wrote: Also where abouts did you buy your g4 coil overs from for $1400???
you can get the G4's from just jap auto.
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

yano28 wrote:Best of luck with this project mate. I've seen your car before and i.m.o. this will be the icing on your green cake.

One suggestion though, while you are only running low boost, it might be worth looking into getting a heat bag cover for your turbo. Normally can pick them up around $250 mark. Common place of mounting the turbo on fto's seems to be real close to the intake side of the engine so there'd be a lot of heat being generated around that area in your engine bay. Just a suggestion anyways

Also where abouts did you buy your g4 coil overs from for $1400???
Cheers mate, yeah like aza said from justjap. Mate i can not recommend these enough absolutly brilliant, handling is crazy. Easy to install, just need to get a wheel alignment afterwards and you off.

As with the turbo bag , i have looked into these, i probably will end up getting one of these once i up the psi. But for starters it dont think it will be necessary
yano
Mechanic

Post by yano »

Cheers to the both of you's. I've heard awesome things about them as well. They'll definitly be my next upgrade.
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

UPDATE: Well she went into the shop today for emanage install and tune......... IM SO
F%^KEN EXCITED. Im picking her up tonight hopefully with dyno graphs so hoopefully be able to show before and afters.
eThix
Veteran Mechanic

Post by eThix »

Sweet finally an update :P so why did you get a tune first? and not just wait till after you have installed everything?
now you have to pay for 2 tunes?
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Yeah i know, but the tuner said its much easier to tune as the piggyback can gather all the base maps from the original ecu or something, i dont know much about this at all, but will speak to the tuner tonight
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

WELL F&*K ME, talk about improved throttle response, HELL smoother power,and a total increase in power of 10kw to boot. Im sooo impressed. I wasnt expecting any real gains from installing the emanage as it was just neccessary to turbo the car but what a nice little added bonus until it is turbo'ed.

PS i thought my car was pretty quick for an FTO (i was thinking it was putting out somewhere between 100-110kw) and all i had done was exhaust and pod filter, however even after the emanage install its now only putting out 91kw 8O. thats a jump from 81kw 8O . Go figure
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

81kws was what Jeff's car used to put out before he went 6A13 mad - was tip GR!
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Bennoz wrote:81kws was what Jeff's car used to put out before he went 6A13 mad - was tip GR!
It really puts in too perspective your mad beast
eThix
Veteran Mechanic

Post by eThix »

Wait till you start doing your turbo upgrades :P 10kw's is chump change lol :twisted:
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

eThix wrote:Wait till you start doing your turbo upgrades :P 10kw's is chump change lol :twisted:
hehe, i know, i cant wait
maggsy
Oldtimer

Post by maggsy »

can't wait to get my emanage done. :twisted:

sounds like it all went smoothly with no dramas :D .
"How come when you go to bed at night you wake up even more tired in the morning?...Sorta' defies the point of getting a good night sleep."

I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

nah no dramas at all the guys where brilliant really no their sh*t. He also said it was the biggest increase he has seen in a NA car by just adding a piggyback :)
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

I8A4RE wrote:WELL F&*K ME, talk about improved throttle response, HELL smoother power,and a total increase in power of 10kw to boot. Im sooo impressed. I wasnt expecting any real gains from installing the emanage as it was just neccessary to turbo the car but what a nice little added bonus until it is turbo'ed.

PS i thought my car was pretty quick for an FTO (i was thinking it was putting out somewhere between 100-110kw) and all i had done was exhaust and pod filter, however even after the emanage install its now only putting out 91kw 8O. thats a jump from 81kw 8O . Go figure
I saw close to 10 kw with mine.

95 = stock GPX.