APEXi N1 Exhaust System

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

D-TRAIN
Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

APEXi N1 Exhaust System

Post by D-TRAIN »

Anyone out there with this exhaust fitted?

What's the experience so far, any qualms?

Also, how loud is it compared to the stock exhaust? Do you recommend a silencer or resonator fitted with it as well?

Thanks!
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

i've heard them on FTOs before, and believe me - either get a resonator or a silencer fitted. They are pretty LOUD! however with the silencer fitted, i believe they may get a little restrictive as you reach the top end (like mine) so if you want power with the hoise - leave the silencer out. Otherwise, they're easier to live with on a day-by-day drive...

...of course, you can't compare the noise & volume with the stock exhaust!

I've got videos of an FTO with Apex'i N1 and Kakimoto mufflers fitted so you can listen to how they sound like... Personally i reckon they sound horny... let me know if you're interested. :wink:
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Funny enough every parts u ask so far, i've got them on my car!!

Well i've got the Apex'i N1 cat back system with muff of course, it loud during cold start, but is ok when its warm up! I don't think is loud as the 5zigen one!
D-TRAIN
Mechanic

Post by D-TRAIN »

FT0338, do you have a silencer or resonator fitted on yours?

I think I would probably get one fitted anyways.

Do you have any sound bites of the exhaust by any chance??

Thanks mate.

PS. I still have my stock airbox. This helps in the exhaust noise department doesn't it if I'm not mistaken?
Boney
Apprentice

Post by Boney »

02NV.. i would love too take a look at those videos.. are they computer AVI vids? or actual videos?
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

they are all in all in MPEGS. Click below to see them:

(they're about 1.3MB each, so be patient...)

http://users.ncable.net.au/~mikey168/FT ... %2001.mpeg

http://users.ncable.net.au/~mikey168/FT ... %2002.mpeg

http://users.ncable.net.au/~mikey168/FT ... haust.mpeg

ENJOY
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Well i don't have a silencer or resonator. U can c the pics on my other post!

The only different I find is the engine noise when i change from standard box to pod filter, so i don't think it makes any different 2 the exhaust note.
AJY11Q
Apprentice

A'pex N1

Post by AJY11Q »

i changed N1 muffler few mth ago, and it sounds OK
FTO with original muffler is also pretty loud than other car
and i noticed that air goes out more smothly and sorta quicker with bigger cat converter but it's damn expensive
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Hey AJY11Q, hmmm i bet your nickname is the number plate 4 your FTO!!

Anyway u said bigger cat gave u sorta quicker! U done a dyno on it or just what u feel??? I haven't seen any good result from dyno or mag that said a bigger cat do anything 2 a VTEC YO!!!!!/Mivec engine, i've even seen a lost in kw with a bigger cat 2!!

So yeah let us know how it is sorta quicker.
D-TRAIN
Mechanic

Post by D-TRAIN »

Thanks for the replies peeps.

I think I will get a silencer anyways since it's removable and only $100 extra. Peace of mind more than anything.

I'm leaving the catalytic converter as stock since that was changed when the car was imported 3 years ago. Unless there is something wrong with it, I'm leaving that alone.
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

dude, i run a silencer on mine (though' not an Apex N1 muffler) and just thought you should know - it can get quite restrictive at high rpm... So unless you drive like a granny most of the time (below 3500rpm), get a resonator instead- it'll be less loud but sounds better without the silencer.

My 2 c... :wink:
D-TRAIN
Mechanic

Post by D-TRAIN »

Thanks for the advice 02NV.

I'm going to go ahead with the silencer though. Found out it's only $60 odd dollars extra. And it's easily removable as well, which is good. On the APEXi web site, it actually says on some cars, the silencer improved mid-range throttle response. I'm not sure what mid-RPM range would be so, I guess I'll have to experience it for myself.

Fingers crossed, hope it's all good though. Let youse know in a few weeks!!
AJY11Q
Apprentice

Post by AJY11Q »

FTO338 wrote:Hey AJY11Q, hmmm i bet your nickname is the number plate 4 your FTO!!

Anyway u said bigger cat gave u sorta quicker! U done a dyno on it or just what u feel??? I haven't seen any good result from dyno or mag that said a bigger cat do anything 2 a VTEC YO!!!!!/Mivec engine, i've even seen a lost in kw with a bigger cat 2!!

So yeah let us know how it is sorta quicker.
oh~don't be serious with my comment
i never hook up my car on dyno so maybe i'm wrong
that's my feeling
but i definetely noticed better and smooth sound from underneath of my foot when i'm driving
MattG
Grease Monkey

Post by MattG »

The FTO cat is pretty high flowing naturally, but there are many FTO owners in the UK who have fitted a cat by-pass to gain more power.

If you replace your exhaust system with a larger one and gain power, then replacing the cat with a slightly larger one (or removing it) should also help remove restrictions in the exhaust.

Having said that there is a point at which the exhaust is too big for the vehicle, but if you are just changing your exhaust to 2.25"or 2.5" and getting a cat to match then I don't think you should have too many problems.

M@
http://www.forensicdata.com.au
The Data Recovery Experts
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

rule of thumb - NA motors will always need some amount of back-pressure - how much backpressure you have will affect the driveability (torque & response), so too little and you will lose some torque in the low-range... 2.5" is prob the absolute max you can go if the car remains N/A, any larger and you will suffer response/driveability issues...

I dunno much about larger high-flowing cats improving HP, but my suspicion is that it only gives an enlarged flowpath to reduce backpressure (to compensate for small/large diameter exhaust piping) - don't hold me on that theory though! :P

Turbo'd engines however really hate backpressure, so the less you have on turbo'd motors the better (and more HP)...