6A12 twin turbo engine

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

shwetang
jedwabna poszewka promocja

6A12 twin turbo engine

Post by shwetang »

hello ,
The mitsubishi eterna has a 6A12 twin turbo engine , from the engine code doesnt it seem that the engine should directly fit into the mitsubishi FTO as they are the same engine type and code and with twin turbo .
please visit this website and please post your comments
http://www.flashoptions.com/product.asp?prodID=142

Thank you in advance
shwetang shah
elmo
Grease Monkey

6a12

Post by elmo »

The 6a12 turbo motor is the same but with stronger internals. They are apparently extremely hard to find.
The difference is that the manifolds are in the wrong direction, ie the motor has to be rotated 180 deg to fit. I guess the bits and pieces would be interchangeable to make it fit, as long as the extra holes are there.
The problem is that the size of the manifolds means the engine would not physically fit, or so i'm told.... so you would need custom manifolds.....
Worse still is it is non-mivec, but apparently the mivec head will bolt on.
Good luck.....
FUZION
Apprentice

Post by FUZION »

There's also a few bolt on turbos for the non turbo 6a12 available in the US.. so these will probably work with the 6a13 - but i'm guessing space is the issue?

eg:

http://turbodiscounter.com/html/turbo-mitsubishi.aspx
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

according to an HPI article, the twin turbos on the 6A12 are very tiny and only good for low-midrange response, so it's not really suitable for high-rpm abuse...

i been contemplating on this conversion myself but yes the 6A12 TT is very rare to say the least, not to mention the complications involved in plumbing the turbos to the intercoolers etc...