weird noise while accelerating???

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

FTO2sxy
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

weird noise while accelerating???

Post by FTO2sxy »

does anyone know what the problem is, when i go to take off initially its like when the revs increase its sound like i have no power steering fluid, but i checked it and its full but it makes like a squeelin/moaning noise as i accelerate. does anyone know what this is, i have a gpx????
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

could be the gearbox, is it a tip or manual?
...and i never knew power steering fluid makes noises when low? :?
dannyboyau
Veteran Mechanic

Post by dannyboyau »

check your alternator and power steering belts they might be loose
FTO2sxy
Apprentice

Post by FTO2sxy »

yeah its manual, i just changed the power steerin belt, but i havnt changed the alternator.

could it be the gearbox oil, cause the sound happens even if the car isnt movin and u just rev it?????
MattG
Grease Monkey

Post by MattG »

If the car isn't moving then the noise isn't anything to do with the wheels and unlikely to be with the gearbox.
You have already noticed that it matches the revs of the engine (not the speed the car is travelling). Therefore it can only be a part that moves when the car is stationary.

Sounds to me like it is a very good chance of being the aircon /power steering or the alternator belt (unless it is a problem inside the engine such as a piston or something).

My GR was making a funny "peep peep peep" sound and so I opened the bonnet and got somebody to rev the engine a little while I walked around the car. I traced the noise down to the front of the engine and noticed I had a big crack along the length of the grooves in my power steering/aircon belt.

I replaced the belt and the prob was solved. You need to remove two belts - this belt (power steering /aircon) and the one in front (alternator belt) to change it. The one in front looked OK so I just used it again.

The power steering aircon belt is a 6PK-1070 model, however nobody had this in stock and Mitsubishi wanted $300 to get one from Japan. I spoke to a guy in the parts dept at Mitsubishi who said he had a compatible 6PK-1080 in stock.

My local spare parts place stocked a 6PK-1080 for about $35. This fits easily enough and has not caused any problems.

M@
http://www.forensicdata.com.au
The Data Recovery Experts
dannyboyau
Veteran Mechanic

Post by dannyboyau »

Also check your clutch thrust bearing by giving it a rev with the clutch in and the clutch out while stationary. Did it do it before you changed the power steering belt, as you also need to be carefull when you tighten up the belts as too tight can put to much stress on the pulley bearings and cause them to squeal in pain. Could also be a idler pulley bearing. Though the idler pulley bearing will usually make some noise while idling as well and just get louder as you rev the motor. also try it with and with out the aircon turned on.
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

yeha my powersteering belt and anltinator belts are getting noisy, I was going tochange them when I did the major service, but Igotthe wrong ones :( the ones quoted from mitsubishi were the wrong size, and when I looked upthe ones i needed on the net the parts shop wante$60 for one and $100 for the o ther, so i decided to wait till i find cheaper ones, that was shocking for belts, seeingas most other car ones costa little over 10 bux
REDFTO

Post by REDFTO »

My car has started doing the same thing a few weeks ago. I think its something to do with the alternator because the first time i tired to start my car after i noticed this noise the battery was flat and i hadn't left any lights on or anything :(. I clutch started it and the volt meter was showing around 8 volt (with the engine running, so it should have been at the 14 that the alternator puts out), but i when't up and down as i reved. I went and got a new battery the next day (the old one was tiny and i needed an excuse to spend money on an upgrade anyway :) ), and now it sits at 12V when idiling and rises as i rev it. Also at night the battery light comes on very dimly, more so the more i rev (i assume it comes on in the day too, its just too dim to see).
elmo
Grease Monkey

belts

Post by elmo »

put some honey on em that'll fix it.
hnm738
Grease Monkey

Post by hnm738 »

i got the belt at cabramatta for 30$ and th alternator belt for 16$

very cheap brand is a bosch i think it was
hnm738
Grease Monkey

Post by hnm738 »

als o go tmy cam timing belt there for $125
MattG
Grease Monkey

Post by MattG »

Yeah I bought my aircon belt from Cabramatta (Mekong spares??) the one opposite the hotel.

M@
http://www.forensicdata.com.au
The Data Recovery Experts