front bumper/bonnet

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

tribulation
jedwabna poszewka promocja

front bumper/bonnet

Post by tribulation »

Hi, I have been looking at a few fto's so that i can buy one. The few that i have ssen seem to have something wrong with the alignment of the bonnet & side panels and also the front headlights ( they are not flush with the panels) ?

Is this a common problem or have then just bot been fixed properly ?

thanks.

also is there really that much difference in a GR and GPX. :lol:
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

Any sort of misalignment of panels is a hint of a possible accident in the vehicle's history. Get it checked out by a proper vehicle inspector (eg RACV or VACC) to be sure.

The GR and GPX are essentially the same other than the GPX having a MIVEC engine. This is a form of VVT (variable valve timing) which gives more power in the high rev ranges. Otherwise, both engines are 1998cc V6.
MattG
Grease Monkey

Post by MattG »

I assume this is becuase they have bought these FTOs as a damaged vehicle at the Japanese Auctions and then repaired the damage to them.
Ask to see the original japanese auction certificate - it should have a grade on there. Cars are graded from 1-5 with 1 being the worst quality.
Typically grade 3 cars have had some minor damage. Grade 4 is a car in good condition.

M@
http://www.forensicdata.com.au
The Data Recovery Experts
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

yep, incorrectly aligned bumpers/bonnets are a very good indication of a previous accident / crash history. once you get into a prang, the brackets which hold the bumper will get bent and as such it will not line up perfectly (unless they are smart enough to go through the hassles of replacing the brackets as well) fact is i've seen some truly shocking examples at dealer yards and frankly i'd stay well clear away from them... it may seem cosmetic, but you'll never know the entire story either!