Extra Vent???

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Kev
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Extra Vent???

Post by Kev »

hey guys,
i saw an Evo V yesterday and noticed as well as the two large mesh vents on the bonnet it also had a smaller vent on the passenger side of the bonnet. i assumed that this was for greater air flow through to the pod although i am unsure because i have no idea what the layout of an Evo engine bay looks like.
any ideas what this vent is for, and would the FTO benefit from a similar vent?

also the Evo in 2 fast 2 furious had one though was higher up on the bonnet which makes me wonder what the use of it is.
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

i believe you are talking about the duct that looks sorta like a triangle right? Those ducts on the Evo 5 are used during Safari rallies in which a 'snorkel' that snakes up the front pillars are fitted to for air intake and prevent mud/water from coming in contact with the air filter...

Frankly I don't see the point of fitting one on the FTO other than just for looks... Sure it will allow heat to escape, but don't forget water will also drain in during rain and could come in contact with the air filter/battery terminals etc (not to mention the potential to create rust as many parts of the engine are not rust-proofed inside the engine bay)...

As for pics of the Evo engine bay, well there are countless pics of them if you do a search on Google... ;)
Kev

Post by Kev »

yeah it was the triangle i was talking about, i'm glad i could show my superior lack of knowledge :oops:

just checked out a couple of pics of the evo V an you are spot on.
thanks for clarifying that.