General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Richo2003
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Hi Guys n Girls......A little Help needed

Post by Richo2003 »

Hey how you going,

I just moved here from Townsville to Melbourne for a new job and finally get paid enough to start looking at getting an FTO (pending insurance). I have heard that Famous Car Insurance in perth is pretty good so I will give them a call.

Just want to know a couple of things. Probably sound strange to you FTO buffs...

Do all GPX's come with MIVEC?

Secondly, I have seen a couple of nice looking FTO's at Auto Corporation in Melbourne, has anyone dealt with them before?

Anyone know any good finance places for imports? And, is there any things to look out for when buying? Rust etc

Any help would be great.

Cheers :

Michael.
Cohn
Grease Monkey

Post by Cohn »

Hey dude, i can help you with a couple of your Questions.

Firstly ALL GPX model's are the mivec engine.

(94-97)
GS. 1.8L 4 cylinder non mivec (virtually non in Australia)
GR. 2L V6 non mivec
GPX. 2L V6 MIVEC (top of the line, which is what most people go for).

About insurance, i went with Famous Insurance in Subaico W.A. They were by FAR the cheapest. However, i must admit, i think they were absolutely insane to insure me, (18 year old with a not so great driving record), at a very reasonable price of $2300. They did not seem to care about GPX GR etc crap. In other words, thinking of going for the only slightly slower GR will not reduce the premium. They also did not really care about small mods (air filter, etc...), they obviously required an alarm and 3 point immobiliser (which is what most FTO's you will see around have). However, haven't had an acco yet, so i can't really tell about their reliability?

About the rust. I don't think i have ever heard of a rusted FTO in my life, and i looked around seriously for around 6 months before buying mine. Did not ever incur one with rust. Maybe in a couple of years time there will be some stories about rust etc... In the mean time, i would not really worry...

Stuff to really look out for (damages etc...) you will be able to find at
www.mivec.co.uk

I can't remember exactly, and being 1a.m. it is only fair, but, in my opinion, the most important issues to look out for when buying an FTO is...

1. Making sure the car has not been in any previous major accidents. - look at the allignment of the bumpers/panels with the car, look out and be suspicious of aftermarket bumpers or any body kits, - ussually a cost effective replacement to oem parts.

2. The km's on the car mean virtually sh*t a lot of the time. They are easy to rewind, so look at the wear and tear of the interior and the engine. Looking at a 95 with 30000k's is a load of crap. They should really have at least 65000 in my opinion

Good luck mate :!:

Cohn
Kev

Post by Kev »

richo2003
just a small note on Auto Corporation, if it is the one on sydney road, out coburg way then i found them to be a little expensive.
i have been looking around for a while for an FTO but i think 26000 is too much for a stock '95 GPX.
from what the feeling on here is i gather private sale is the way to go maybe???

this is my first post and i hope it works cause i haven't really figured it out yet. :oops:
YYgirl
Grease Monkey

Post by YYgirl »

Hi, about the rust, my fto had rusted before on the roof, a lot of small patches that looked puffy kinda thing. Like blobs growing out of the paint. I think that was because of bats urine that i forgot to clean off. However, I have also seen another FTO in the carpark somewhere else with the same problem, roof rusted. I have got mine fixed, but just make sure you check the roof and it looks nice and smooth.
Richo2003
Apprentice

Post by Richo2003 »

Thanks guys,

Its been a great help. Yeah Kev it is the company on Sydney Rd but they have a couple in stock at the moment....1995/96 for around $19000.....want to check them out first before I get my hopes up.

I would like to buy private but I have to trade which is a pain but something I will get over.

I had a chat to Famous and they were pretty good, quoted me around $2500, 20yrs old, rating 3.......but I have had a suspension....fun, fun.

So are there any FTO Clubs or anything down here, I just moved down so it would be good to meet some people who own them, besides I have never been for a ride in one yet...........just like the look of them and what they have to offer.

my email is m_richardson02@hotmail.com for anyone who wants it.

Cheers once again.

Michael.
thecook
Mechanic

Post by thecook »

any fto clubs here? this is an fto club!

yeh all GPX come in mivec!!!

i saw a 1997 Red GX in box hill the other day, its the first time i've seen one of these before... anyone know the stats on a GX?

be sure to look out for the usual stuff..... if u dont like the car, then dont buy it! if theres something minor which can be fixed, ask for a cheaper price... if u really want a certain fto, i reckon u should get a list of mods first, and then call insurance, ask for a quote and let them know what mods are in it....

hmmm..... there are some ways to tell if a car has been damaged before... when i checked my fto, i could tell that it had been smashed before, because the front headlight was glued to the car, instead of being properly bolted in hahahahaha... funny... i could also tell that one side of the car was not even (the broken headlight side, the bumper did not even up with the body of the car).........

i dunno..... i just reckon u should take the car to your mechanic to check it out, or tell the person to take it to your mechanic.....
Richo2003
Apprentice

Post by Richo2003 »

Thanks for the advice cook.....

I hopefully want to get one within the month or so....heres hoping.

Just want to make sure I get a good deal, I used to sell cars up in QLD so that might give me a bit of an edge haa haa.......

Will have a good look and the car before I buy.