General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

SilentBob
Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Ordering from NZ, Do i pay GST?

Post by SilentBob »

Quick question
after having ordered a Cam Belt and tensioner from Mitsu in NZ, they have slugged me with 12.5% GST on top of the quoted price(though they never mentioned this to me when quoting me prices)...
I was under the impression that
a)you had to quote prices GST inclusive or at least inform people of it?
and
b)seein as i dont reside in NZ, i didnt pay the GST(as this is how it operates from places like England after havin purchased some Dvd's)

???
Little confused, its not a huge some of money, but its money i would rather keep ;)

Little help
SilentBob
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

yes i have purchased dvdsfrom england toannd didnt have topaytheir taxes, thats weird, im not sure of the offical taxation laws in nz,but maybe u can just question them as to why they are charging taxes on itemsbeeing shipped overseas
Austin
Apprentice

Post by Austin »

also if you have any probs with them being brought into aus and having to pay tax when delivered in aus just say the part is for your "tractor or boat" as you wont pay tax but thats mainly on bigger more expensive parts i think.

Brent
elmo
Grease Monkey

GST

Post by elmo »

Where I used to work we did some import export.
There is no GST on exports but you will have to pay import duties on imports. The exact amount of import duties is directly proportional to the amount the customs guy lost at the TAB this week and the number of cartons of piss they need for the christmas do.
Nah seriously though the duties always change. We have had two identical shipments within a 2 weeks and the duties were different but they couldn't explain why.
It's customs though so don't argue with them cause they will just take it off you and keep it.
NightFire
Apprentice

Post by NightFire »

I bought a PC when I was living in OZ, and had to pay GST on it, obviously. When I moved back to NZ, I had to get it shipped to NZ, and had to pay GST again.
I'm pretty sure you won't have to pay the NZ GST, but you will have to pay when you bring it through customs in OZ..
Theremin
Grease Monkey

Post by Theremin »

I recently bought strut braces from Kempy's in NZ and didn't get charged GST. That's the way it's supposed to be, as I understand it.
FTO2sxy
Apprentice

Post by FTO2sxy »

yeah i got charged gst and customs duty in australia, when i bought the stuff from kempyz in new zealand