Getting Brakes Done

Got a problem with your FTO? ask about it here

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Vectose
Forum Moderator
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Re: Getting Brakes Done

Post by Vectose »

Strkszone wrote:I reckon I'll just get the rotors machined and go with Bendix Ultimate Performance pads sounds like the most cost effective option for now. If I ever go down the route of chasing more power (which will be after a manual conversion) then I'll consider the upgrade to the brakes, until then keeping them to fast street performance. Thanks guys.
But why machine when they're only $70?

From memory machining costs about $40.

I know I'd rather brand new rotors than machined ones.
Bennoz wrote:
Technikhaus wrote:What is in said Bens big penis by the way?
A whoooole lot 'o jism 8)
Strkszone
Grease Monkey

Post by Strkszone »

idk how it will affect the price to get the rotors fitted as opposed to machining the rotors I currently have. Depends on the cost, if he can do it for under $90 (labor only), then it'd be worth it.
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

Wut? Fitting new rotors would be less time consuming therefore less labour $ than pulling them off, machining them, then putting them back on..
I fix cars.
Bennoz wrote:I got Bali beli & sharted on my phone. But it was fun :D
bjk wrote:you old people are no help at all.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

They do them on car these days. That said, they have to pull the calipers off to do it, plus cutting time.

Considering how cheap replacement rotors are, it's a no brainer.

Machining them may stop the shuddering, but at the end of the day, it essentially makes them thinner & prone to more warping in the future.
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

Bennoz wrote:They do them on car these days.
Some do, some don't. We don't, we outsource ours to Sydney Brake and Clutch and heaps of other guys/shops don't use the on-car machine thingo. Even on the car though, it's heaps faster just to take the old one off and put the new one on instead of dicking around machining old rotors to save 20 bucks.
I fix cars.
Strkszone
Grease Monkey

Post by Strkszone »

Alright sounds good, I guess I'll get a set of RDAs then. Sorry for the noob questions just never did brakes before and don't know how complex the switch is.
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

Machining rotors is a piece of piss. Takes 5 minutes a rotor. A minute to get the rotor off.

Sometimes when 4wd have a one piece rotor hub we find it easier to just get the guy out to machine it on car but most of the time we do it ourselves.

Mechanics have better things to do then getting the cheapest prices for ya. If they charge out more thanks an hour then look elsewhere.
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

payaya wrote:Mechanics have better things to do then getting the cheapest prices for ya. If they charge out more thanks an hour then look elsewhere.
f**ken oath!
I fix cars.
Strkszone
Grease Monkey

Post by Strkszone »

My mechanic was already offering me cheap rates, I'm not concerned with money at all... I'm just trying to decide which would be more worth it. So I'm just going to get the new rotors and put them on. I reckon it'll come out to be more expensive, but I'd rather do it since as Ben said machining them widdles down the material and you can only go so far anyway. Not really complaining about the cost, I'm just looking for feedback on quality/price.

I'm inclined to source my own Bendix Ultimate Performance/RDA Slotted Rotors/Calipers and go from there. Just thought I'd check here first before going through with anything as I've still got 3000 kms left on 'em.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Are we still talking about this? Amount of time spent typing this thread, could've done pads & rotors on all 4 wheels :lol:
Strkszone
Grease Monkey

Post by Strkszone »

Gotta wait for shipping... and ideally I'd like to have the calipers swapped all in one go. Had some dramas with AusPost so Toby is trying to get that sorted out. Until then all I can do is wait.