Brake pedal = Ignition??? weird issue

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

vanadinite
Veteran Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Brake pedal = Ignition??? weird issue

Post by vanadinite »

My FTO has done this since i bought it (until today), the brake pedal is somehow linked to the ignition and when you push it in the car gets ignition power, it doesn't fire the starter but all my dash lights come up, odometer powers up ect, it doesn't however power the a/c or radio and also the rear middle brake light would always stay on and would only go out when the car was off.

Its gets weirder because ff you keep the brake pedal engaged you cannot turn the car off, i can take the key out and all but as long as the pedal is still pressed in the car wont turn off. so far i've checked every light and fuse in car for faults and i've even traced all the wiring from the brake pedal switch and its all in line with the electrical technical manual. im not sure what it could've been. I have no after market immobilisers or central lockings or anything like that. Quite a weird problem i think.

So today I rewired the entire brake light system (wired the lights directly to the pedal, bypassing those green multi wire connector/plugs under the dash and viola, its back to normal. Im assuming that somehow a wire is crossed somewhere and is causing it but any other ideas?
Vectose
Forum Moderator

Re: Brake pedal = Ignition??? weird issue

Post by Vectose »

Does it have a immobiliser?

I am guessing that whoever installed the immobiliser didn't install it properly.

They may have meant to install a "car does not start unless brake is depressed" feature but stuffed up.
Bennoz wrote:
Technikhaus wrote:What is in said Bens big penis by the way?
A whoooole lot 'o jism 8)
vanadinite
Veteran Mechanic

Post by vanadinite »

Vectose wrote:Does it have a immobiliser?

I am guessing that whoever installed the immobiliser didn't install it properly.

They may have meant to install a "car does not start unless brake is depressed" feature but stuffed up.

no immobiliser, but there may have been one in the past, i did see some wires that looked like they used to be spliced into. Its one hell of a screw up lol
Last edited by vanadinite on Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

Yeah, I'm siding with Vectose.