General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Vectose
Forum Moderator
jedwabna poszewka promocja

eBay 240v Rattle Gun

Post by Vectose »

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-UNIMAC-2 ... 0857702147

Well I bought on of these a while back and thought I would tell you guys it is damn powerful for the price. It took the harmonic balancer bolt off an engine that has been sitting around for a while in about 5 seconds. It is more powerful than the cordless rattle guns and even the air ones around this price.

I won the eBay auction for $80.

The only disadvantage is the size. Difficult to get into some places.

But other than that it is a great tool.
Last edited by Vectose on Wed May 22, 2013 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bennoz wrote:
Technikhaus wrote:What is in said Bens big penis by the way?
A whoooole lot 'o jism 8)
Shhtuart
Forum Moderator

Re: eBay 240v Rattle Gun

Post by Shhtuart »

That's good to know, -Nighthawk- and I were looking at those ages ago but we weren't sure if they were any good.
illmotion
Grease Monkey

Post by illmotion »

Had that before but i sold it and bought a ryobi one (made changing my springs so much easier)

that one was way to huge and powerful destroyed half of my bolts
Vectose
Forum Moderator

Post by Vectose »

You can adjust the nm. I have used it for quite some time and have not destroyed any bolts.

I agree the cordless ones are more versatile and compact. But cannot undo some of the tighter bolts.
Bennoz wrote:
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

Do these rattle guns weaken bolts up over time?
I've heard so many stories (whether they are true or not I don't know) about wheels flying off of cars caused by these tire places and mechanics taking the bolts on and off with rattle guns
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

spetz wrote:Do these rattle guns weaken bolts up over time?
I've heard so many stories (whether they are true or not I don't know) about wheels flying off of cars caused by these tire places and mechanics taking the bolts on and off with rattle guns

You are quite an inquisitive one.

I expect a monster FTO built by you :lol:

I remember Sahin telling me not to tighten my exhaust manifolds too tight as you can crack the stud so I imagine its the same for a rattle gun. Normally once it is tight it makes that "rattle gun sound" and you should stop after a second or two.

Maybe you might get a noob mechanic that'll keep going for ages and crack the stud.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

I've got a full pneumatic setup with rattle gun. You just have to be aware of what bolts you should & shouldn't be using them on.

For instance I never use them on wheel nuts. They do nothing but shred the chrome off them & yes, they can shear the wheel studs if the nuts have never been greased.

Big suspension bolts like strut bolts or subrame bolts, absolutely, they make that kind of work a lot easier & faster. Any bolt impacted in is far less likely to work itself loose.

Plus, if you spend the big bucks on a trade quality gun, you can set the torque level on it to match any bolts torque requirement.

Also, always use good quality impact sockets, regular sockets dont take long to wear & eventually round out. That's the best way to round off a bolt head as well. Impact sockets are hardened, non-multi-fit (ie 6 sided only) & tend to be a much better fit, thus reducing the possibility of damaging the bolt head.
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

Bennoz wrote:
I've got a full pneumatic setup with rattle gun. You just have to be aware of what bolts you should & shouldn't be using them on.

For instance I never use them on wheel nuts. They do nothing but shred the chrome off them & yes, they can shear the wheel studs if the nuts have never been greased.

Big suspension bolts like strut bolts or subrame bolts, absolutely, they make that kind of work a lot easier & faster. Any bolt impacted in is far less likely to work itself loose.

Plus, if you spend the big bucks on a trade quality gun, you can set the torque level on it to match any bolts torque requirement.

Also, always use good quality impact sockets, regular sockets dont take long to wear & eventually round out. That's the best way to round off a bolt head as well. Impact sockets are hardened, non-multi-fit (ie 6 sided only) & tend to be a much better fit, thus reducing the possibility of damaging the bolt head.
Haha sh*t you must get bored at work
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

silverGPX wrote:
Bennoz wrote:

Haha sh*t you must be hungover at work
EFA :lol:
Vectose
Forum Moderator

Post by Vectose »

Bennoz wrote:Plus, if you spend the big bucks on a trade quality gun, you can set the torque level on it to match any bolts torque requirement.
This eBay unit has a digital torque adjustment (150nm-350nm).

Also comes with 5 impact sockets.
Bennoz wrote:
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Vectose wrote:
Bennoz wrote:Plus, if you spend the big bucks on a trade quality gun, you can set the torque level on it to match any bolts torque requirement.
This eBay unit has a digital torque adjustment (150nm-350nm).

Also comes with 5 impact sockets.
Starts at 150nm? Good lord, that's 110 foot pounds. There's only a hand full of nuts & bolts on the car that are done up that tight!

No wonder it whipped that balancer bolt off :lol:
Vectose
Forum Moderator

Post by Vectose »

:lol: Yeah, I only use it when my pneumatic one can't undo the bolt because it is so cumbersome.

I also think the 150nm is exaggerated. On the lowest setting it's pretty weak.
Bennoz wrote:
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

I just recently bought a Chicago.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CHICAGO-PNEU ... 8b2&_uhb=1

Max torque 1250Nm. Because tractor :lol:
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

It'd be easier to attach something to the passenger side driveshaft me thinks.
0-200Nm with MIVEC for the epic bolts.
Get the job done, and make it sound awesome at the same time.