Reverse Camera for FTO

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

-Nighthawk-
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Reverse Camera for FTO

Post by -Nighthawk- »

Anyone fitted a Reverse Camera to the FTO?

Thinking about picking up one of the $50-$100 kits off eBay. Not sure where the best place to mount it would be though, don't want some ugly LCD screen that will rarely get used.
Taz
Oldtimer

Re: Reverse Camera for FTO

Post by Taz »

Im also curious actually as im getting one for the mrs car - although i will be hooking it up to the head unit instead of some screen :lol:
Same as any other car to do id assume?
Anyone tried the cheap kits off ebay? any good?
Bennoz wrote: Cum gunt it!
BorepYano
Forum Moderator

Post by BorepYano »

hook it up to the head unit if the head unit is capable. or get one of those ones that's goes over the mirror, still looks a little silly, but a lot better than a blank LCD screen for 99% of the time.

or just get reverse sensors?
kiz wrote:
silverGPX wrote:This requires a thread? lol
There's potential for a thread about anything on FTO Australia
illmotion
Grease Monkey

Post by illmotion »

My Double Din came with one, if you know to install a sub and amp then this is fairly easy, i just stuck mine near the license plate since didn't want to drill into any body work and it works alright it comes on when you have it in reverse gear since the power connected to your reverse lights
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Night-Vision ... 62b&_uhb=1

30 bucks for one - and easily hooked up if you have a head unit to support it.
Seems lefit - ill test it out for 30 bucks at least :lol:
Vectose
Forum Moderator

Post by Vectose »

Phil has one on his.
PHIL069 wrote:I also installed a reversing camera, which I bought off of eBay. It was designed for a direct replacement of a numberplate light for the Lancer. It has a camera and a LED number plate light. I had to make up a couple of spacers out of a polyethylene chopping board to drop the camera low enough to clear the FTO bumper.

Pics...

Bennoz wrote:
Technikhaus wrote:What is in said Bens big penis by the way?
A whoooole lot 'o jism 8)
-Nighthawk-
Oldtimer

Post by -Nighthawk- »

That's a nice fitment for the camera. Looks like the best option is to have a headunit already instead of getting a standalone screen
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

If you end up getting just a camera like ive just done - the money you will spend on the head unit wont be too much more than buying a stand alone camera and screen anyway - and youll get a nice double din head unit out of it as well.
shadowarrior
Tightarse

Post by shadowarrior »

Grab an eonon. I've got one on mine.
Shhtuart
Forum Moderator

Post by Shhtuart »

shadowarrior wrote:Grab an eonon. I've got one on mine.
This.

I've got an Eonon and have 4 mates with them too. No issues and the reverse camera is an attachment with auto on when reversing.
Shhtuart
Forum Moderator

Post by Shhtuart »

SchumieFan
Oldtimer

Post by SchumieFan »

Vectose wrote:Phil has one on his.
PHIL069 wrote:I also installed a reversing camera, which I bought off of eBay. It was designed for a direct replacement of a numberplate light for the Lancer. It has a camera and a LED number plate light. I had to make up a couple of spacers out of a polyethylene chopping board to drop the camera low enough to clear the FTO bumper.

Pics...

That kit is for a CJ Lancer, i have the same, direct replacement for the licence plate light...
built for my head unit, but basically has a power cable for the LED licence plate light, a power and signal cable wire for the actual camera (run from reverse lights) had some issues getting it to come on automatically though.

thinking of running a constant power cable to the camera so i can turn it on whenever... headunit has the manual camera selection which makes this possible.

PHIL069
Oldtimer

Post by PHIL069 »

Yeah, I have my camera connected directly to acc power and my head unit has the capability to auto camera in reverse gear but I have mine connected to AV2 so I can have the camera on whenever I want.
Only prob is that the cheap ebay camera sh*t itself already after washing the car :roll: , I suggest you coat the cord input with silicon.
mikeey01nzl wrote:Hats off to you too Phil for spending so much time on the phone trying to help someone out, your a top man and only a few would've spent so much time. well done! :salut:
Daniel2019 wrote:Come on phil, we bonded at the bonfire, lets be honest here...me and phil are besties now... :lol:
SchumieFan
Oldtimer

Post by SchumieFan »

sweet, good to note!
mine wasnt an ebay jobby though, same sh*t... when i get bored enough ill run a constant power source down the back end but theres nothing there at the moment.

mines made it through two pressure washes so far
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

Would it not be better to hook it up to the reversing lights as mentioned before - and have it override whatevers on the head unit at the time and show up when in reverse? be easy enough to wire in etc or is the power supply to the reverse lights too low?
PHIL069
Oldtimer

Post by PHIL069 »

Taz wrote:Would it not be better to hook it up to the reversing lights as mentioned before - and have it override whatevers on the head unit at the time and show up when in reverse? be easy enough to wire in etc or is the power supply to the reverse lights too low?
But then you have to put your car in reverse to see the hot chicky babe walking past the back of your car :lol:
+
The rear vid looks cool at 110km/h and also looks cool when you drive over the /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ painted on the road approaching a crossing 8)
mikeey01nzl wrote:Hats off to you too Phil for spending so much time on the phone trying to help someone out, your a top man and only a few would've spent so much time. well done! :salut:
Daniel2019 wrote:Come on phil, we bonded at the bonfire, lets be honest here...me and phil are besties now... :lol:
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

Got mine in the mail today, of course it has no instructions.
Only problem i have is not knowing what which wire is for.
Red plug goes to two wires, i assume this is the power to which i connect to the reverse lights to switch it on in reverse? Does this make the yellow end (av plug to plug into head unit which also has two wires coming out the end) an earth wire and something else?
tarkus
Mechanic

Post by tarkus »

Money can't buy happiness, but it can help you look for it quicker, in a convertible.