Help!

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

ind-38t
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Help!

Post by ind-38t »

hey ive had my fto for a while, just wandering does anyone's fto ever like choke or seem to be jump when they launch it? becasue when i launch my car at 4K it seems to be jump....as in doesn't really grip the road ... or feel like it anyways... could this be a suspension or traction control thing? and do all fto's have traction control/lsds?
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

when i launch hard the car jumps around like a pogostick on steroids, If you launch medium you will loose traction and just spin which is good ifu want todo a burn out (not that ftoaustralia.com promotes that sort of activity on australian roads!) butfor ultimate launch I rev it medium and releasethe clutch slowly so its on the breach of loosing traction, it may not be healthy for my clutch but it seems to work !
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

if the car jumps excessively (up front) during a launch, then i suspect your springs could be too soft... when you launch, the weight balance is transferred to the rear and if the springs are too soft in the rear, the front will lift very easily as a result (hence lifting the front tyres from the roads which gives less traction hence leading to wheelspin, get it?)

btw as i understand it, not all FTOs come with LSDs from the factory, except the GPvR. traction control is a factory option i believe, so finding one in car yards/auctions is a lucky dip i suppose...
elmo
Grease Monkey

jumping

Post by elmo »

By jumping I assume you mean axle hop?
torque steer?
Like GAV said, the car jumps around like a pogo stick?
As the wheel spins and warms it grips slightly, torque pushes the wheel upwards as it grips, this wheel then spins as it goes up and the power is transferrd to the other wheel, that one then does the same thing and the power goes back to the first one.
Hence lots of bouncing, revving and wheel spin but not much acceleration. Ride the clutch a little more, feed the power in, don't just tramp it, not until the wheels have stuck.
It may be a second slower on the take off but it is much smoother and quicker overall cause your not sittin there spinnin.

Has anyone notice they have to rev their car a fair bit when they take off from the lights? The FTO wont pull away at idle like some cars will??
Is this an idle set problem, something mechanical or just normal and I should rev it?
Like you say, it seems to choke.
MADFTO
Mechanic

Post by MADFTO »

elmo: Define a fair bit =)

I'm able to take off normally, even with a heavy clutch without too many hassels.

The fact that we have a six in our cars should mean you should be able to do that. The extra torque generated is more likely to make you wheel spin =)

If your car jumps around like a pogo stick, check your shocks. Having a really bouncy car is indicative of dead shocks.