Q for those with a DCuatro front spoiler

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

indyfto
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Q for those with a DCuatro front spoiler

Post by indyfto »

Could someone please tell me how much lower this lip spoiler is than the standard bumper? My car is already lowered and I don't want to fit the DCuatro lip if it's too low and the car becomes unroadworthy. A measurement from any fixed point on the bumper would be great, ie: from the screw that holds the fog lights in to the lowest point of the lip.

Thanks, Brad.
indyfto
Grease Monkey

Post by indyfto »

Anyone out there that could help me out please?
G1
Mechanic

Post by G1 »

i say if you have lowered your car, its gonna be not only too low, but the overhang of the lip will make your life even harder to get it up and down driveways.

its just a matter of whether you are willing to put up with it or not.
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

IS THIS LOW ENOUGH FOR YOU?

not sure what are the actual measurements on mine, but if the car is lowered AND you fit a front spoiler, the ground clearance would've exceeded the maximum allowable reduction according to regulations (which is 100mm from a flat surface to any lowest point of the car).

hope that helps...
hnm738
Grease Monkey

Post by hnm738 »

hi three i was thinking of putting a s1 lower lip also and was wandering how much lower to the ground it will be from a normal gpx of 15cm off the ground
Breza
Mechanic

Post by Breza »

Exactly why I had mine removed.................

Hitting too many speed humps and driveways.

And it is standard ride height.

Cheers

Chris
indyfto
Grease Monkey

Post by indyfto »

Thanks for the feedback guys - most of it is as I expected.

Chris: When I thought of this DCuatro lip I remembered you had trouble with yours all the time so it might be a little "iffy" on mine :wink:

Mikey: Would you be able to spare a few minutes for me and measure the distance from the (looking at your far left pic) bumper join (where the join line is flat) to the bottom of the leading edge of the bumper (ie: the lowest part looks to be where your carbon fibre splitter is) obviously measuring in a vertical straight line. I would be most grateful if you could do that for me thanks.

I might be in luck as I still have "some" room left before I hit <100mm clearance at the front although visually it does look quite low...I can imagine why everyone has scraping problems but I really want this lip spoiler and I don't fancy going back to the drawing board to choose another kit.

Brad.
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

ok, from the horizontal mounting point (front) to the bottom-lowest part of the spoiler (in this case underneath the aluminium side winglets), we're looking at approx 190mm...

surprisingly, when i measured my ground clearance, i have something like 115mm or so, thus i guess i'm safe roadworthy wise... (phew!) :D

...but that's without any load on the car though! :?
indyfto
Grease Monkey

Post by indyfto »

Thanks heaps for that Mikey - much appreciated :D

I will have to measure up tomorrow when I get up and cross my fingers that I'll be ok. I noticed yours looks extremely low so it's somewhat surprising to see that you have 115mm clearance! I currently have about 50mm to play with before getting into trouble.

I actually never really thought about how much load is on the car for clearance legality. Is anyone able to shed some light on this issue? I mean, I know clearance is measured from the lowest point on the car but does someone need to be sitting in the car or have a full tank of fuel or what?

Thanks...
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

I will have to measure up tomorrow when I get up and cross my fingers that I'll be ok
lmao... hope you'll be ok man (geddit??) :wink:
sorry, couldn't help myself... J/K!! :lol:
indyfto
Grease Monkey

Post by indyfto »

Yeah - when I read that back now it does sound pretty suss but it was at 4.15 this morning though!

Anyway: I can't figure out exactly where you got 190mm from Mikey :?

I have kind of worked out the scale of your left hand side pic (very roughly scaled) and worked out that from the factory bumper join where the line is horizontal starting from the wheel arch (the top measurement point) to the bottom of your lip where the splitter covers (the bottom measurement point) - measured in a straight vertical line is ~ 425mm.

Does that sound about right? It should be nearly correct as my standard bumper is ~ 385mm deep at this point where the wheel arch is. So that would meake the lip another 40mm lower give or take...which would incidentally be ideal to still keep my car legal.

I did a quick run around today to find someone who stocked that lip to test fit it or even measure but to no avail as no one holds any stocks of that lip.

Mikey - you are my only help!
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

OK, i'll take more pics tomorrow with diagrams to show the dimensions from different angles... Stay tuned!
indyfto
Grease Monkey

Post by indyfto »

Ok cool - thanks again for this Mikey.

It's a little difficult as I only have the factory bumper join that is the same as your car to measure from or the fog light pod. As it's no good measuring from the ground up as we would have different lowering heights I'm sure.

Look forward to new detailed measurements.

Even that side on profile only is fine as that looks to be where the lip is closest to the ground compared to the front of the lip.
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

OK, below are the dimensions as promised:

Looks your initial estimations from the horizontal joint of the bumper to the bottom of the splitter (425mm) are pretty much spot-on. :wink:

As for the extended depth (from side profile), as you can see from the top-left pic, it's only an extra 10mm or so...

Hope that helps!
indyfto
Grease Monkey

Post by indyfto »

Absolutely brilliant :D Thanks a million again Mikey!

Going on the 420mm would mean there is hope...in fact a very good possibility that I should be right to fit that lip and still have a minimum of 100mm clearance - just by like a single mm or so! I have approximately 525mm from the bumper join to the ground so fingers crossed for me...

Just need to make the conscious decision to always reverse park once fitted or there'll be some ugly cracking happening.

Considering the front already looks low I can't begin to imagine how low it'll look once the lip is fitted :)
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

indyfto wrote:Absolutely brilliant :D Thanks a million again Mikey!

Going on the 420mm would mean there is hope...in fact a very good possibility that I should be right to fit that lip and still have a minimum of 100mm clearance - just by like a single mm or so! I have approximately 525mm from the bumper join to the ground so fingers crossed for me...

Just need to make the conscious decision to always reverse park once fitted or there'll be some ugly cracking happening.

Considering the front already looks low I can't begin to imagine how low it'll look once the lip is fitted :)
LOL, you can buy me beer when I'm up in Gold Coast someday and we'll call it even ok? ;)

believe me, once the front spoiler is fitted you will always be conscious about your parking approach angle, whether it be frontal or backwards (or sideways if you dare).

I've only got my front spoiler fitted for a little more than 2 months and i've already got multiple scratches on it underneath, no matter how careful i was (even on 3kph)!
Breza
Mechanic

Post by Breza »

Brad,

I still have my old kit sitting in my shed if you wanna come around to my place and get some measurements................

If you want it you can have it for a small price............:-)

Cheers

Chris
blk_fto
indyfto
Grease Monkey

Post by indyfto »

Excellent Chris :) - I shall SMS/Call you tomorrow.