WINDING BACK ODOMETERS

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

lantek7
jedwabna poszewka promocja

WINDING BACK ODOMETERS

Post by lantek7 »

When looking for an FTO, is there a way to tell if someone has wound back the odometer?

Would this be hard to do on an FTO? The reason I ask is not because I want to do it, but because I want to be able to see if the distance travelled is genuine or bullshit.

-Michael
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Is very easy to wind back the odometer even is a digital one, i've seen so many dodgy dealer done that by now.

The only way you can tell is check the wear & tear on the car to see if its match the Kilometer it say on the odometer.
bulldog

genuine km's

Post by bulldog »

one way that I use to get an idea if the km's are genuine is to pay close attention to the steering wheel and gearstick, especially if they are done in leather trim. I was looking at a few 300zx nissans recently that were around 12 years old, with 40 - 80 thousand km's on the clock, yet the leather on the gearsticks and the steering wheels were worn right through! I've never seen one of my cars or my mates cars with wear like that, so it makes me a little suspicious...
Hez
Grease Monkey

Post by Hez »

lol dats a first. steering wheel is worn probably becoz of the sun! heat corosion. a 12 year old car would be very worn out, no matter what.
elmo
Grease Monkey

wear

Post by elmo »

The shape of the wheel often changes cause you are holding onto it so much, not just from the sun.

I thought a digital speedo uses a digital signal from the gearbox and electronically does not count backwards because they are not designed to?

Unless there is something that would reverse the digital pulse and make the computer count backwards, probably reversing the polarity and sending a funeral invite to the cars computer... Has anyone actually seen one they know has been tampered with?

I know the newer fords have tamperproofing so if the speedo gets disconnected the car with not run properly and ford can read the computer and tell you've been messing with it.

Dunno if this applies to FTO.
andy
Apprentice

Post by andy »

I've seen adverts in the UK for machines that can be used to set digital mileometers.

Like you guys said the only way is to go by the trim - look out for new gearstick gaters and stuff like that, that can cover up a well used car.