stiff gearshift

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

andy
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

stiff gearshift

Post by andy »

I've just bought a manual gpx and the gearshift is pretty stiff.

I used to have a holden calibra turbo with a six speed box that had a similar problem. I changed the gearbox oil and gave it a dose of slick 50 for gearboxes (the teflon coating stuff). It totally transformed the gear change.

Has anyone else got the same problem or considered using something like slick 50?
Chrisp
Apprentice

Post by Chrisp »

yeah my 95 gpx man has a fairly notchey gearshift that takes a little bit of effort to get into gear, especially first gear... never tried any of that stuff but i was thinking of doing an oil change..
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

i used a nice thin motul gearbox oil in my gear box, and it glides when the car is warm, but unforiunitly when the car is cold its very hard to change gear, and my syncros in 3rdgear cause of the thinner oil. so be careful in what you use in your gearbox especially one as advanced as ours
G1
Mechanic

Post by G1 »

ive got the same problem, andy are you going to try that slick 50 in your fto?

ive changed my oil already but it didnt help...

let me know how you guys go...
p_angelo_1

Post by p_angelo_1 »

i changed my gearbox oil and added some of that slick 50 treatment a month ago... only noticed the smallest change in shift quality, a little less notchy but still notchy... guess its just part of the character of the car
andy
Apprentice

Post by andy »

Good to hear from someone who's tried it, even with limited results.

Where did you get it from? I haven't seen any over here. I'm heading back to the UK for a couple of weeks next weekend and was thinking of bringing some back.
p_angelo_1

Post by p_angelo_1 »

found it at a repco... cost like $50 for 80mL of the stuff (which is all you need)... well it was worth a try

i was reading in some of the UK FTO forums about some other treatment they tried with some success... cant remember what it was called?

anyone installed a short shift kit? has the shorter throw cancelled out the notchiness a little?