Subwoofer Help

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

YYgirl
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Subwoofer Help

Post by YYgirl »

Hi guys, I have just bought a subwoofer. I am having trouble trying to find where I can feed through the power lead to get to the positive terminals of the battery? I have fed the power lead through the boot under the seats and to the front seats, but have no idea how to get past there into the engine area. THanks heaps!
Chrisp
Apprentice

Post by Chrisp »

i did the same last week, bit of a bitch of a job !
if you look on the firewall, straight back from the battery, you will see a large rubber grommet. The factory black wiring loom runs through it. I ran my 8ga cable through there. It comes down behind the glovebox on the inside.
But you will have to push in through from the engine side first, wont be able to go the other way.
tip : remove the coolant reseviour first to get easier access to the rubber grommit. It just pulls up (with a bit of force)
MattG
Grease Monkey

Post by MattG »

I do know with the turbo kits, they have relocated the battery to the boot.
If you could hide the battery (eg inside a box or something) that may also be an option, but I guess you would still have the same problem of running the cable.

M@
http://www.forensicdata.com.au
The Data Recovery Experts
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

look on the firewall under the bonnet for small holes with a grommit letting wires through,there should be a few of them in the firewire, if worste comes to worste u can drill your own hole, BUT be very carefull, and purchase a grommit to seal it so it doesnt rust up on you
YYgirl
Grease Monkey

Post by YYgirl »

oh, sounds to complicated!!
I am not quite sure what a grommit and firewall is? hehe
Thanks! it would be very nice if you guys can take a photo of the wire through the "firewall"? haha. am I asking too much? :oops:
Chrisp
Apprentice

Post by Chrisp »

yeah i can do that for you. but i wont have my digicam till fri, so if u want i can send some next weekend.....?
YYgirl
Grease Monkey

Post by YYgirl »

Thanks Chrisp, that would be very nice! thanks. i'll be waiting. hehe
YYgirl
Grease Monkey

Post by YYgirl »

is grommit jsut a piece of rubber? if it is, do I just pull it out? does it just go back in place? thanks again!
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

yeaqh its a rubber sorounding, some you can pullout, where others it breaks when u pull it out, cause they are in there soootight
andy
Apprentice

Post by andy »

Just one tip - make sure you fit an inline fuse to the power cable as close to the battery as you can. That way if you ever have a short in the cable (like if the plastic outer shroud gets rubbed through) the fuse will blow and you shouldn't get any other damage.

If you don't have a fuse, or you fit one close to the amp / sub in the boot and you you do ever get the wire touch an earth the whole length of wire will glow red hot and melt through anything in its path - potentially ending in a nasty fire-related incident.

ps to find the firewall stand at the front of your car (with the bonnet open!) and look at the back of the engine bay - the firewall is the vertical panel at the back (the same colour as your car) that's probably got the engine number / chassis number etc rivoted to it.
YYgirl
Grease Monkey

Post by YYgirl »

oh thanks! I have fuse in the amp, does that mean the same?
andy
Apprentice

Post by andy »

Nope. You MUST have a fuse in the power cable as well - like I said as close to the battery as you can.

[- +]-------[=]----------------------------------------------------AMP + SUB

Battery Fuse Cable through the car In the Boot

Even if it costs you a few dollars from Dick Smiths or Strathfields - it's got to be better than burning your car out. I'll see if I can find a photo....
YYgirl
Grease Monkey

Post by YYgirl »

oh ok, i better find myself a fuse, do i just solder it on or something? hehe
YYgirl
Grease Monkey

Post by YYgirl »

Hi guys, thanks for helping me out, I have eventually found the grommet and finished setting it all up. I have not yet bought a fuse, but I guess I will do it as soon as possible!
andy
Apprentice

Post by andy »

Please promise me that you'll do it in the next week.

I know it's not as exciting as getting you sub working in the first place - but you'll be pretty gutted if your FTO goes up in smoke and your insurance won't pay out, because they blame your dodgy wiring. All for the sake of a $10 fuse.
YYgirl
Grease Monkey

Post by YYgirl »

sure! but can I just put it next to the battery? like still in the engine, just cut the positive lead and stick the fuse in between?
andy
Apprentice

Post by andy »

Yep. You need to cut the new power cable you have that feeds the amp and fit the fuse 'inline'. It depends on the kind of fuse / fuse holder you buy whether you have to solder the 2 ends of the wire (where you've cut it) or whether you can fix them with screws.

If you have a look on www.strathfield.com.au and search for fuse, you can see some kits with the fuse already part of the wiring, in your case you need to add one - or buy a set like that if you haven't got soldering equipment and stuff.

At last! I've just found a photo of what I've been going on about. From the strathfield home page (above) there's a link to installs. Then choose Kenwood install and then fuse and battery. The big fat red cable is the one feeding the amp (in this case it's the size of your thumb because it's a massive install), but the principle is the same.

It might be worth going into a car hifi shop and talking to them. They are usually full of enthusiasts with loads of free advice and they can show you some example fuses / cables and maybe installs.