another sad pom looking for help

Got a problem with your FTO? ask about it here

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

puppy
jedwabna poszewka promocja

another sad pom looking for help

Post by puppy »

Hi, Please, Please please can anyone help. 1996 gpx mivec, great when cold, the hotter it gets, or longer you drive it, 30km or so it starts trying to cut out at 7000rpm+ keep driving and it does it at lower revs, untill it does it at 2000rpm. NO one in this place knows what is causing it. it doesn't compleatly stop but tries too. you take your foot of or up the gears and when the revs drop its ok. no loss of power untill this happens. just spent £1100 on it, now this.

has anyone had the same problem, HOW DID YOU SOLVE IT.

oh yes, No fault codes.

ps this site is great,
DaveO
Grease Monkey

Post by DaveO »

G'day puppy
I've never herd of this happening before either. Is your's an auto.
Could an auto be causing this type of behavour?
Any body here conferm my direction of logic? :?
DaveO
Apothus
Apprentice

Post by Apothus »

bizare indeed. From what i imagine something is expanding due to heat and starts to impose on the engine at high rpm, then as it gets hotter and expands further it imposes on the engine at lower rpms. What gauges do you have in the car and any other diagnostic info?
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

have you tryed doing an ECU check for codes ?
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

aza wrote:have you tryed doing an ECU check for codes ?
puppy wrote:oh yes, No fault codes.
:lol:

Ok need some info buddy, when you say cutting out, do you mean total power loss as if the engine was off or does splutter?

As dave asked is it auto?
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

I8A4RE wrote:
aza wrote:have you tryed doing an ECU check for codes ?
puppy wrote:oh yes, No fault codes.
:lol:

Ok need some info buddy, when you say cutting out, do you mean total power loss as if the engine was off or does splutter?

As dave asked is it auto?
:roll: :lol: well I should reed all the post next time :lol: :oops:
manofwood
Veteran Mechanic

Post by manofwood »

do you have a sh*tty intake pipe? mine used to heat up and the engine's vacuum used to make it cave in when it got hot, and choke the motor.
Racing in a VL is like being in the Special Olympics, coz even if you win, you're still a <u>RETARD</u>
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

may be a vacuum hose has come off the TB :? just an idea
dstocks
National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

I dont know if this could make a difference, but I had my overflow bottle line clog which caused a vacuum in the water circulation and was causing the radiator pipes to collapse when the engine warmed up. Not sure how this could cause power loss, but it would took a while to build up a decent vacuum. Worth a check though. Just take the radiator cap off and disconnect the pipe from the overflow and blow through it to make sure it isnt clogged.
Complete FTO (http://www.completefto.com.au/completefto.asp)
    If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you