I8A4RE's Turbo Project: Please NO COMMENTS..See other thread

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator
jedwabna poszewka promocja

I8A4RE's Turbo Project: Please NO COMMENTS..See other thread

Post by I8A4RE »

Ok here we go, my project is on the way. I dont expect this too be done in a hurry but i will keep posting on the progress.

My expectations are:
Keep tip box (that is a must)
Keep standard engine internals
Achieve 5-7psi boost on standard internals.
Do it under well under 10k.
Keep Air con and all other options car currently has
And most importantly a huge increase in power

Still to arrive:
RR Fuel pressure regulator
Gauges
Piping & hoses
Flanges
Gaskets

This is what just arrived.
GT25

Intercooler:
and sort of what it should look like

Emanage Ultimate:

BOV. GFB Deceptor

Pre-Project KW's: 81kw :cry:

Have already relocated battery to boot. Was considerably easy as i had already wired my car for an amp, so it was just a matter of swapping around terminals etc.
Pic to come

Pulled off front bar and placed intercooler into position, all fits well. Almost like the intercooler was made for an FTO :twisted:

Car went in for emanage install and initial tune. The tuner, the only one i could to tune the goddam emanage, said that he will get a better outcome if he can do a pre tune first. Something about learning the maps blah blah.... $800 bucks for install and tune

Sent the car off to turbo installer. I was getting him to position the turbo and fabricate the up and down pipes. The reason I got him to do and not myself was really beacuse (a) it was going to be a pain in hte ass and (b) I dont have a hoist at home which the job would be absolutly impossible.

Got my baby home from the turbo guys.

Here is the turbo mounted:

I need to now disassemble it all again to complete the rest of the job

Here is the up pipe that was fabricated for me.

Here's the down or DUMP pipe in 3inch :twisted:

Marked out the spot where the oil return line from the turbo will enter the sump then removed the sump and cleaned up..

Found a perfect piece of pipe lying around at work (so cost me nothing) to weld to the side of the sump..... Just need to drill the hole first.

Here's the finished product.
Image.

Tjhen install the Fuel pressure regulator. Very straight forward.

Now I came across a little problem. The fuel rail adapter i brought from RPW doesnt line up with the holes on the rail Now i brought it so long ago....... say good bye to refund. So i was looking at the old FPR and thought i could just grind of the FPR and use the backing plate.... and it worked a treat . Now i just got to weld a pipe to it and it will be good to go.
Here's the new fuel line from the filter to the rail.

Now for the intercooler piping.
This was going to be a tough job.
Silicone arrived

i was just going to use the 2.5inch exhaust i had at the moment, get it tuned and then increase to 3" later on. I dropped the old exhaust down and was not F^&King happy. The 2.5" exhaust i paid for about a year earlier, turned out to be 2 1/4" and was so squashed in places that it would have been close to a 1.5"........ Totally un-usable for a turbo setup. So it had to go.................... and then began the task of making a 3" stainless steel mandrel bent exhaust USING ONLY AXLE STANDS

Heres the progress, so far

Ok finished off all the welding on the intake piping mounted the BOV

Refitted everything

Connected Oil Feed line

Now for FInal tune :twisted:

DONE

PRICES:
Turbo.................................1000 (new)
Emanage............................700 (new)
Install & Tune......................800
Up and Down Pipes............2000
Intercooler..........................150 (new)
Silicone Piping....................100 (new)
Intercooler Piping................250
RRFPR................................130 (new)
Braided Lines.....................200
3" Exhaust.........................700
BOV...................................300 (used)
Final Tune..........................1000
Gauge................................70 (new)

Total...................................7400

Driving the car....................Priceless

Summary: Now as planned every option the car came out with was able to be kept and I think a 65% increase in power from start to finish is a great effort. That was also dyno'ed on a 32 degree day with no boxed pod filter running on 5 pound.

Next will be to replace the injectors, new fuel pressure regulator and new fuel pump. With those little mods I should easily be able to push it to 7 maybe even 8 pound.

Also, please note that the project did begin withdoing it as cheap as possible to start with but as I started to get into the project more funds were made available to me so I was ale to buy more new parts than having to go secondhand.

This has been by far the most enjoyable project I have done to date and will continue to look for more as funds allow.....maybe a gpx next ot maybe a 4G63 :twisted:

If you have any questions or comments please feel free to add them to this thread
http://www.ftoaustralia.com/modules.php ... ic&t=19810
Thanks Simon
Last edited by I8A4RE on Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:17 pm, edited 14 times in total.