Got a problem with your FTO? ask about it here

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Mikey D
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Wont idle when cold.

Post by Mikey D »

Hi All,

Im after a bit of advice, i have a '95 FTO GPX manual. Im having problems keeping the engine running when its cold. It will start but then the engine will die unless i give it some gas, it just won tick over. But when the engine gets warm its no problem at all.

Any ideas what this could be.

Thanks,

Mike.
zuihoujueding
Oldtimer

Re: Wont idle when cold.

Post by zuihoujueding »

stepper motor mate. take it out, clean it. clean the throttle body and air filter at the same time and see if it can solve the problem. it works for me.
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Yep definitly stepper. If the above doesnt work just buy a new one $90-$150
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Mikey D
Apprentice

Post by Mikey D »

Cool!!

I take it the stepper motor is the black box on the left side of the inlet manifold? Does anyone have a picture just so im sure im repairing/buying the right thing.

Thanks,

Mike.
zuihoujueding
Oldtimer

Post by zuihoujueding »

its right below the throttle body. comes off with two bolts.
Mikey D
Apprentice

Post by Mikey D »

Great thanks, ill sort that tonight.

Mike.
Mikey D
Apprentice

Post by Mikey D »

Hi,

I had a look at this component under the throttle body and cleaned it up tested the coils, but it still wont idle.

This seems to be a solenoid not a stepper motor as it does'nt spin it just retracts to let air into the inlet manifold to stop the engine stalling.

Any ideas where does the ecu get the signal that it is cold is it from the same temp sender as the one for the gauge?

Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Nah there's 2 temp senders. Gauge one is near the front of the thermostat housing, the ECU sender unit is further towards the back. Its a plug with a brass tip on it that screws into a water gallery. Having said that, I've never heard of it causing idle problems. Im still leaning towards shot stepper.

Checked the error codes? They'll tell you if a sensor of any type is playing up.